Overdrive with a bit of mids?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cheen2006, Mar 27, 2008.

1. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

I'm looking for a nice transparent overdrive that's not totally flat but then again not like a tubescreamer, something in between. There are a couple I'm considering:
    -Barber LTD
    -Silver Kiss (I assume you can set the mids as you wish)

I don't really know any others for this kind of application. Also, I live in Vancouver and there aren't any good boutique shops around here so I can't try anything first. I tried a modded BD-2(whizzer mod) last night and it killed my whole tone, bass got dropped and it was pretty trebley at most setting, and I worked with it for a while.

Right now I'm playing a stock 62 reissue strat into a Pro Junior, soon (hopefully) to be replaced by a Dr. Z Maz Jr. I also run a Katana boost for slight hair and a Bad Monkey for a TS sound, but would like something in between, probably closer to the Katana. Thanks in advance.

Cheen

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The Barber LTD or sliver LTD would be an excellent choice.

The silver kiss was the brightest, harshest pedal I've ever heard ....even with the treble OFF.

3. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

SK mk1 is very bright.. the new mk2 not so much. Change the opamp to a lm1458... :AOK verwy nice.

Little Green Wonder or the timmy with bass and treble turned down to suit.

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

It's weird but the silverkiss MK1 sounds bright at first but for some reason when you turn up the treble it sounds smoother and quite good.
    [​IMG]

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Try the Keeley BD2 then. You possibly could send yours in and have them to their stuff to it. It will definately have the bass you desire as well as the trebly will go away with his mod. He makes it very versatile and it will go from clean boost to mild fuzz when it has been transformed. For me he took a pedal that I could not stand because of the same reasons you posted and turned it into a board mainstay for the last 3 years.
    Best Regards!

7. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

Wow, that's a great pedal. I've been checking out the Catalinbread stuff, don't know how I missed it. This may actually solve some other things for me too. Thanks.

Cheen

8. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

I don't actually own a BD-2, I just tested one out that was on craigslist locally. The problem is that unless I can find a Keeley one locally I'll have to order it direct and with shipping and stuff it would be close to $200. For that price I have a pretty wide choice of boutique stuff. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheen

9. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

The Zendrive has a built in mid range thats very pleasing to the senses

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Jeter GSR and Mosferatu are great for those mid/full tones

11. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

And the gsr.. 1+ :dude All around great drive from top to bottom.

12. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I can find a zendrive somewhere I will definitely check it out.

Cheen