Overdriven Fender Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Barquentine, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:02 AM.

1. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

Once upon a time it was generally accepted that Fenders were for cleans, Marshalls were for dirt. In the pre-rack days I remember a number of guitarists that would have a Twin for their cleans and an early Boogie for leads.

I've been looked at the thread concerning Fender's Tonemaster Twin and Deluxe Reverb. A lot is made of the attenuation feature which allows you to overdrive the amp at low volume. So you don't have to crank the amp in order to get that flubby, messy, undefined low end response. I've listened to the new Mesa California Tweed that'll do the same thing at a cost of several thousand dollars.

To me, a cranked Fender sounds absolutely terrible. Almost like they have a blown speaker or something has gone horribly wrong with them.

How many of you like your Fenders sounding like this ?

Toowoombaus, JRuss1525 and C-4 like this.
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I find they can sound pretty good if you get a drive pedal in front that adds in some more mids. To me they are relatively scooped, so added mids helps a lot and doesn't cause the bottom end to be so loose. Also, that Mesa amp fixes a lot of issues with old Fender circuits, the bass response is very clear on that amp across the whole range and at just about any volume level. That is not your normal Fender/Tweed circuit, its much more refined and pretty much as good as it gets.

cam0122, Musicmaster and Baxtercat like this.
  4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

My Prosonic is a killer Fender amp... sweet cleans and some very nice Marshally OD too. It will be the last amp standing in my stable. :aok

greatmutah, fendergeek, RobQ and 5 others like this.
  5. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Cranked Fenders sound terrible?? This guy would beg to differ.... (yes, even before he kicks in the Tube Screamer)

6. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

SRV didn’t play those Fenders ‘cranked’. Cesar Diaz reported that Stevie liked his Vibroverb at 6 n the volume. Diaz said that the volume pots would be set before Vaughn played through them. Diaz would do amprelim8nary os)nd setting...finding where the amps worked I. The venue. Diaz would then set the volume KNOB on the pot to reflect a setting of 6....when perhaps it was in reality 5, 5.5, 6.5, 7...whatever worked. SRV was then happy...or so the story goes. I use 5’s on the volume and tones as a starting point for BF/SF Fenders. That works. If the volume needs to be lowered, push the tones up. At higher volumes than 5, the tones need to be adjusted down...especially the bass.
    if the amp has a Mi control push that if you want the best overdrive out of the amp.
    The Pro Sonic that Fender Bigot mentions is not a BF/SF circuit, and it acts differently than do those BF/SF amps. The Pro Sonic has its roots in the 5F6A Bassman world.

Khromo, HotBluePlates, e??? and 2 others like this.
  7. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

It's funny, I was just reading another thread about Marshall drive and I thought, "for the life of me, I can't like that sound." Different strokes. I'm glad we have options!

8. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Supporting Member

a cranked deluxe is a thing of beauty, but it's not 'easy' to play. I find that cranked fenders need a lot of tight right hand technique and good picking to get it to sound tight instead of mush

BobbyRay, Peppy, JPH118 and 5 others like this.
  9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I LOVE cranked Fender amps. One of my bread and butter tones is a Blonde or BF Bassman head cranked. To my ears, an overdriven RnR tone that rivals anything out there.

10. Phila67

Phila67 Member

Marshall amps were based on the Fender Bassman, cranked. "Won't Get Fooled Again", is a Gretsch 6120 through a Fender Bassman (I believe). Depends on the type of Fender amp, the tubes etc., the guitar & pickup. Blackface tones will be cleaner with higher headroom.

Vox66 and cam0122 like this.
  11. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/history.html

The Bassman that was used on some were NOT the 5F6A that Marshall based his first amps on. The source above lists a blonde ‘64 Bassman.....I have not seen pics of that amp that would tell if that Bassman was a 6G amp or a transition AS864 Bf circuit in blonde cosmetics. note the use of a 1x15 BF Po. Years ago when a young fellow was trying out his Les Paul with new pickups through a 1x15 BF Pro I have, he hit some of those power chords. There it was....the sound of those Who songs was there!

coffeecupman likes this.
  12. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

Few things sound better than a cranked Fender

gretschplayer and TonyBony like this.
  13. The Worship Guitarist

The Worship Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Cranked British style amps sound better to me. I am not a fan of cranked Fender amps.

JRuss1525 and C-4 like this.
  14. Simto

Simto Member

You were 100% looking at the wrong Fender Tone Master

[​IMG]

woof*, ggwwbb, cam0122 and 2 others like this.
  15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Saying cranked Fenders sound like mush is too broad.

WHICH cranked Fenders?

Where was your bass knob set?

16. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

17. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Every GP interview I ever read with those who played on overdriven Fender circuits had the treble and mids dimed with bass on 0.

18. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

The mid-80s Fender Super Champ was a tone to behold. 18-watts of 6V6 power into a 10" speaker. It had all kinds for boost and pre-amp goodness. And it was very light and compact. So small in fact, you could almost put it on a pedal board :)

19. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

A tweed amp set to overdrive with a dirt pedal in front of it sounds heavenly. Cranked yes you will get some flatulence, just back it off some to tame the bassy sharts.

20. d95err

d95err Member

You don’t have to crank the amp all the way up to have use for an attenuator.

For Fender amps, the sweetspot is often that edge of breakup sound. This requires the amp to be turned up to around max clean output power.

Getting there with a Twin is way too loud for most venues or rehershals.

cam0122 likes this.