Overdriven Fender Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Barquentine, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

Alex Lifeson was a big fan of cranked Super Reverbs. I recall reading somewhere that his Marshall stacks on the 2112 tour were dummys and that there was in fact a tilted back Super Reverb behind the stacks with a mic on it. Also known to use them extensively in the studio. Let's not forget about Uncle Ted too ;)

I've replaced the MV on one of my SF Twins with a crossline PPIMV and it's fantastic for getting that kind of sound thanks to the lowered NFB, any of you SF owners ought to try it out.

NAME, DC42 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  2. drri

drri Supporting Member

Deluxe Reverbs can get a little muddy when turned all the way up..... Having said that, I own both The Twin and Deluxe Reverb tone masters and love them. Almost ashamed that I'm giving up on the tube world for them (sold 2 amps to buy them). haha

Peppy and TA22GT like this.
  3. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Here's a cranked Twin pointed to the back of the auditorium because it was nuclear loud with a '59 burst:

Someone on TGP posted a pic of the back of the twin once too, wish I knew where that pic was.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Merrywoodsman, speedtaco and GenoVox like this.
  4. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

"Won't Get Fooled Again" was a '59 tweed Bandmaster.

The Bassman used in the early years was a 6G6: the presence knob is clearly visible in many photos.

I personally don't think an amp needs to be on 10 (or 12) to be "cranked." A blackface Fender is well into the overdriving range when on 6 or 7. That counts as cranked in my book.

5. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

I read an article about a guy in a Rush tribute band who was trying to nail the 2112 tones and realized that the Marshalls he was trying to use was the wrong amp altogether - it just had the right look for the job but didn't sound right at all. The amp he settled on to do the job was indeed a cranked Super Reverb. Very interesting.

6. spencer096

spencer096 Member

i love the sound of overdriven fenders...

7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

a Strat into a dimed Super Reverb is positively glorious. Add the right OD pedal, and it’s just about “God tone”.

8. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Have you ever tried a Tweed Deluxe cranked?

pete12string, Vibrolux and tele1951 like this.
  9. jackson

jackson Member

Yes, you can make a lot of Fender amps sound bad, cranked. You can also make them sound great, if you know what you're doing.

MilwMark and Baxtercat like this.
  10. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Here's a Super Reverb on 10. Your guitar has a volume pot, learn to use it. No flub, sounds glorious. That's how I use my Super Reverb as well.

11. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I think a tweed deluxe, cranked, sounds better than a master volume silverface twin, w/ JBLs, cranked. Not all Fenders 'crank alike'

I've always thought that many tweed fenders, when 'cranked', sound much like early marshalls... maybe I'm wrong.

redchapterjubilee, Tidbit and DV52 like this.
  12. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

It's easy to avoid flub if you never play the low E or A strings.

FloridaSam and donthasslethehoff like this.
  13. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

It's not going to get modern metal tones, but overdriven Fender amps are legendary sounding. Maybe the Fender amps you've tried were not good ones or you just have bad hearing.

14. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

When I had a Deluxe Reverb, I found that turning the bass down gets rid of the farty mess people complain about, who knew?

I would crank it all the way to 10 and it sounded pretty awesome. I'm not a Blackface kind of guy either.

Peppy and COYS like this.
  15. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

They aren’t my favorite by a lot shot, but other guys make good use of cranked fenders. I’ve had a bunch of vintage ones from tweed to blackface, I prefer using them clean.

SharpCat likes this.
  16. fingertip

fingertip Silver Supporting Member

I recently looked at two amps - an older champ and a like new PRRI with 12 inch CREX. I've read the champ circuit is single-ended and the Princeton circuit is push-pull. I have no idea what that means. I thought I was a dirt guy but I got tired of my occasional bursts of competence getting lost in the grind. I bought the Princeton and play it through some old Celestion 10's and I couldn't be happier. Cranked for me is 6 and the bass down a bit. Get breakup from Bogner Wessex and I'm loving the compression and articulation.

17. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

What do you mean by "cranked"? Very few amps sound good on 10.

An "overdriven Fender amp", as your thread title suggests, is one of the most iconic sounds in the history of music. It works well for almost every famous guitarist ever.

Marshall also got started by ripping off the Bassman circuit.

Early Mesa amps came from the Princeton circuit.

And most boutique amps are clones of some version of classic Fender ciruits.

There are many flavors of the Fender sound, but even the rough designations of Blackface and Tweed provide very different and very usable overdrive tones.

I could go on for several more pages, but the idea that Fenders don't sound good with overdrive is one of the more puzzling things I have read here :confused:

18. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

For me cranked Fenders is all about the speakers. The stock speakers sound great clean and slightly overdriven but then fall apart as they overdrive more. That's why people don't like cranked fenders. If you swap them for a Celestion style speaker or something like the Eminence Tomo Fujita speaker (that was designed to sound like a fender/Jensen type speaker but not fall apart with overdrive) it's much better. Also, have a plan with the mid frequencies (knob, pedal or guitar).

Plainman and Rumble5 like this.
  19. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Member

Pushed Fender amps are one of the most glorious sounds in the history of the world.

LordByron and Guitarbrett like this.
  20. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Have you ever played a Super Reverb on 10? Those 4x10" speakers don't flub.