Overdrives and Bright Caps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, May 1, 2016.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

After looking back at the amount of OD's that didn't work with my amps over the years I'm incline to believe that the OD's were not the issue but the bright caps in my amps. In the last several years I've used amp without bright caps on the volume. I even removed the bright cap from a Dr Z. Since making this switch I get great tones from my drives and my clean tones sound more balanced. Has any of you guys gone through the same thing?

2. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I have had the same experience. This is exactly why I prefer the 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb to the 65 RI. The 65 has a permanent bright cap on the Vibrato Channel but not the Normal Channel (which has no reverb) while the 68 has no bright caps in general. This is also why I prefer the Normal Channel on an ac30 for pedals to the top boost.

Wagster likes this.
  3. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I tend to dig a brighter crunchier fizzier dirt tone so I like most overdrives with my DR.

However there is some pedals that play nice with amps with them for people who like a warmer tone.

Wagster likes this.
  4. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

yep. I've removed the bright caps from my Vox amps and never looked back. those caps are completely superfluous to my needs.

Wagster likes this.
  5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely. Only drive pedal I've used that still sounds fine with a bright cap is a bogner burnley. All my amps that have bright caps I've either removed it or put in a much smaller value

Wagster likes this.
  6. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I pulled the bright cap off my late 70s Marshall SL100 and it totally made the amp usable, with or without pedals. It reduced the nasty bright high-gain sound.

abnerfm and Wagster like this.
  7. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I decided to put a mode on one of my pedals that makes it sound pretty much like you are using the pedal on the Normal Channel but on the Bright channel of a BF fender preamp and was actually shocked about how much high end I had to roll off to get it to sound normal again if the Bright cap is engaged. If you use that setting on a normal channel it's total mud city which is not a bad thing, actually, for some types of music, but wow.