Overdrives and Distortion for Hiwatt cleans.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for some new dirt boxes for my Hi-Tone amp. Amp is very clean runs 6v6 tubes. Currently using a Wampler Sovereign and a J Rockett Blue Note. Looking to change things up a bit. I mainly play rock and a bit of blues.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
A Hiwatt is a mid forward, hard hitting amp. As such it's going to be a really good blank slate for almost anything pedal-wise. That said, Tubescreamers and Klons are not my absolute favorite with mine. I LOVED the Cornish SS3. A clone of that might be fun. The Timmy is always a good choice with its widely variable EQ. One of the "bright" overdrives, like a Honey Bee/SHOD or the KOT or other Bluesbreaker clone is always a useful option. Also, before anyone else says it RAT!

LowWatt

Anything based on the Coloursound Overdriver is great too. It worked for David Gilmour, and my style couldn't be further from his and it still works great for me.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
A Hiwatt is a mid forward, hard hitting amp. As such it's going to be a really good blank slate for almost anything pedal-wise. That said, Tubescreamers and Klons are not my absolute favorite with mine. I LOVED the Cornish SS3. A clone of that might be fun. The Timmy is always a good choice with its widely variable EQ. One of the "bright" overdrives, like a Honey Bee/SHOD or the KOT or other Bluesbreaker clone is always a useful option. Also, before anyone else says it RAT!

I figured I would get a Rat suggestion, I owned one years ago and thought it was rather fizzy. The Timmy is one I have not owned, I know, a forum member that's never owned a Timmy...

Anything based on the Coloursound Overdriver is great too. It worked for David Gilmour, and my style couldn't be further from his and it still works great for me.

There's one I'm not familiar with, I'll check it out. Thanks

KnowTalent

Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion
Keeley Oxblood :aok

imgres

leighianson

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Vintage DR504 and have had great success with the KoT and Hudson Broadcast 24V.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Vintage DR504 and have had great success with the KoT and Hudson Broadcast 24V.

I had never heard of the Hudson Broadcast. The demos I looked up on YouTube were fantastic tho. Almost seems to have a fuzz quality to it without being a fuzz pedal (I'm not a fuzz guy). Cool Pedal.

I use a Reeves Custom 50 PS, and I prefer darker drives. Bogner Wessex and Burnley work great for me.

The Burnley is definitely on my list of high gain drives to try. I agree that a darker high gain pedal would suit this circuit well.

WienerDog

With my Hiwatt CP504 I use the following:

Fulltone 2B
Timmy
Il Torino
Morning Glory
AC Booster
La Grange

All sound great with the amp.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
With my Hiwatt CP504 I use the following:

Fulltone 2B
Timmy
Il Torino
Morning Glory
AC Booster
La Grange

All sound great with the amp.

The La Grange is on my list as well, from what I've heard the Bogner pedals sound fantastic.

I have a '78 DR-103 and found the following:

-Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe - didn't bond with it at all, not able to dial in a convincing tone and get rid of the flubby low end this pedal produces.

-Carl Martin PlexiTone - Not bad, but a little bright and hard to dial in the mids properly.

-Wampler SuperPlextortion - Same result as the CM PlexiTone.

...and the drumroll for the winner:

-Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion! This pedal works *fantastic* with the Hiwatt to give a perfect balanced crunch to 80's hard rock tone. AC/DC, and Aerosmith tones on its own, and I throw a Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive in front of it to goose it for Van Halen, Ratt, Dokken etc tones. I dojn't know what it is about these 2 Hardwire pedals, but they totally bonded with me and the Hiwatt and deliver the *perfect* mix of drive tones without ever sounding harsh, brittle or fizzy. Just pure classic rock.

Cheers
TRJB

71strat

Cornish is always great.

I just ordered the Roger Mayer Visage.

They just came out 2 -3 days ago. They were announced in Oct.

It has HUGE GAIN, but also cleans up really good, can overdrive any amplifier.

It is also Feedforward design, like many of Pete Cornish pedals. His compressor being 1.

This device will work with any amplifier/pickup combination, and has a very wide band frequency response. Its also really, really quiet, like most of Mayers stuff.

Guitar Effects Pedals & Recording by Roger Mayer - Visage
www.roger-mayer.co.uk/visage.htm

[PDF]
Visage - roger-mayer.co.uk
www.roger-mayer.co.uk/visage.pdf

modestmikesmods Big Muff.

Mike does the complete Cornish mods, and he starts with the input, and ends with the output. really extensive mods. Either send him your Muff, or buy from him.

Roger Mayer Kuro Kage
Mayer Voodoo T T

Mayer Page 1 Classic... Modded Version of the..... Colorsound....... Mayer modded for Page, and Big Jim Sullivan, in 1964....
Mayer Voodoo Axe Classic...
Analogman BC183
Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster
Sola Sound/Colorsound

Last edited:

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
I have a '78 DR-103 and found the following:

-Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe - didn't bond with it at all, not able to dial in a convincing tone and get rid of the flubby low end this pedal produces.

-Carl Martin PlexiTone - Not bad, but a little bright and hard to dial in the mids properly.

-Wampler SuperPlextortion - Same result as the CM PlexiTone.

...and the drumroll for the winner:

-Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion! This pedal works *fantastic* with the Hiwatt to give a perfect balanced crunch to 80's hard rock tone. AC/DC, and Aerosmith tones on its own, and I throw a Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive in front of it to goose it for Van Halen, Ratt, Dokken etc tones. I dojn't know what it is about these 2 Hardwire pedals, but they totally bonded with me and the Hiwatt and deliver the *perfect* mix of drive tones without ever sounding harsh, brittle or fizzy. Just pure classic rock.

Cheers
TRJB

I've heard great stuff about the Hardwire drives and for the price I'll definitely check them out.

Cornish is always great.

I just ordered the Roger Mayer Visage.

They just came out 2 -3 days ago. They were announced in Oct.

It has HUGE GAIN, but also cleans up really good, can overdrive any amplifier.

It is also Feedforward design, like many of Pete Cornish pedals. His compressor being 1.

This device will work with any amplifier/pickup combination, and has a very wide band frequency response. Its also really, really quiet, like most of Mayers stuff.

Guitar Effects Pedals & Recording by Roger Mayer - Visage
www.roger-mayer.co.uk/visage.htm

[PDF]
Visage - roger-mayer.co.uk
www.roger-mayer.co.uk/visage.pdf

modestmikesmods Big Muff.

Mike does the complete Cornish mods, and he starts with the input, and ends with the output. really extensive mods. Either send him your Muff, or buy from him.

Roger Mayer Kuro Kage
Mayer Voodoo T T

Mayer Page 1 Classic... Modded Version of the..... Colorsound....... Mayer modded for Page, and Big Jim Sullivan, in 1964....
Mayer Voodoo Axe Classic...
Analogman BC183
Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster
Sola Sound/Colorsound

Thanks for the info, I'll check some of that stuff out for sure, the Cornish stuff is a little out of what I like to spend on a pedal, tho I'm sure it's nice.

Skreddy pedals are designed and tested into a clean Hiwatt.

Good to know, Thanks :aok

Buzzard Luck

Since the OP primarily plays rock, then Weehbo all the way, they seem really tuned to that sort of base clean. Emma pedals are really good, too. Bogner, etc. ~~ Hardwire stuff is great for price, but only if you snatch it up cheap.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom