Overdrives for clean chords?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StringChucker, Dec 22, 2005.

1. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

I'd like to find an overdrive that can deliver chords where the notes in each chord, up and down the scale, are recognizable but still get some lush tubey overdrive tones. I'd like to get as much overdrive as I can get but the notes in each chord remain somewhat distinguishable or separated. Of the current crop of hot overdrive pedals available, like Timmy, Baby Blue, Love Pedals, LTD, Landgraffs, etc. (or others) which one is best at delivering clean chords and is least likely to muddy up the bass? Thanks for the help.

ReedChucker

2. erksin

erksin Member

Chord definition is one of my main criteria for selecting an OD - I hate muddyness...

The best I've tried so far (IMO) -

Low Gainers:

Timmy - probably the best I've tried, the EQ is perfect for dialing in enough beef without getting muddy

AC Booster - almost on par with the Timmy, just preferred the Timmy's voicing more

Reverend Drivetrain II - also very good EQ possibilities, a little more TS-sounding than the Timmy or AC

Medium Gainers:

MI Audio Blue Boy - the clarity even at max gain is really impressive, even on a neck humbucker. Lots of control over the pedals voicing

Hermida Mosferatu - also good, but sounds a little 'blanketed' compared to the MI BB to my ears

Fulltone OCD - incredibly clear and defined, just didn't care for the OD voicing

I haven't tried any high gain pedals, but for higher gain stuff I stack a Hellbilly set to a treble booster-type tone into the Timmy and the chord definition stays completely intact.

3. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Landgraff DO
    Xotic BB Preamp

4. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I was looking and listening to the stuff on the BJF Honeybee and it sounds like what you are talking about.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

My two picks would be:

Lovepedal COT50 - what I currently use for what you're describing.
    OCD - What I used before I got the COT.

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

The Tim is great for application. And it's very quiet too.

7. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

Boutique I say the LTD. Off the shelf I have to go with a tubescreamer.

8. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Keeley TS9+
    Proanalog Dual Drive
    AC Booster
    Hao Rumble Mod

9. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

Tim
    Eternity
    M.A.D. Cold Gin

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator. Extremely Versatile low/mid gain OD (can sound pretty hot/high gain when used before a boost pedal).

11. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

12. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Klon. (As unfashionable as that answer might be.)

13. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i'd say TIM or LTD win for lower gain overdrive with great clarity. the tim is the most transparent overall and has more tone shaping contrals. the LTD has a little of a tubescreamer feel, but still clear with a nice grind.

14. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

Cheap, natural, transparent: Bad Monkey

15. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Believe it or not, a good Fuzzface type clone does an awesome clean tone for chords and single note stuff. you have to back off the guitar volume, and you`ll get the fattest clean with lots of ring to it. Just listen to Hendrix` Wind Cries Mary, or third stone from the sun.

CT.

16. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

17. Kooper

Kooper Guest

I like the Menatone redsnapper for the clean rythm thing.wouldnt call it lush though,actually I have a Fishfactory so to fatten it up I'l use both sides.

18. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

My vote goes towards...

1. Landgraff DO - the only pedal i have not sold, even when gas was strong. This will do low-med-high gain!
    2. Analogman TS-9 Silvermod - surprising enough, but this pedal is phenominal for low gain, neck pickup rhythms... no wonder why Scott Henderson uses it.
    3. Nobels ODR-1 - older model that's green. For the money and tone, it's awesome.
    4. Timmy - actually i didn't really like it used as an overdrive as it was a bit grainy for my tastes. Plus i use a brighter amp (deluxe copy), but great for boost / slight gain
    5. Zendrive - great smooth overdrive that's very flexible w/ the voicing knob.
    6. Way Huge Green Rhino - very similar to the silvermod.. might as well save some dough and get the silver
    7. Eternity for low / med gain singing lead tone.
    8. Klon - bitey overdrive or fat boost

that's about it.

19. rewog

rewog Member

I am surprised no-one has mentioned the Liquid Sunshine, as many here have commented in the past that they love it for adding crunch to chords.
    It is super articulate.

20. rewog

rewog Member

Sorry to go a little off topic, but I was wondering how you are liking the "Cold Gin" Rollo. (I know you were waiting for one, I assume it's arrived).
    I bought mine based on your review, and it was a great choice. I really like it.
    Maybe you could open a new thread and give us your thoughts on it ?