Overdrives for Magnatone Twilighter

AStrangeDay

Finally i took the plunge and ordered a Twilighter, which is the amp of my dreams.
I want to know from those who have used it, which overdrives works best with this amp.
My impression is that, since this is their "65 deluxe reverb" but with more of a tweedish character, it will work with everything.

From the Andertons video, it seems to work really well with a Bluesbreaker, Greer Lightspeed and the ODR-1. I was thinking of getting a Klon clone (Archer, Tumnus whatever) but i want to hear impression from first hand users.

Congrats on your new Twilighter!
I took the plunge one and a half year ago and it‘s been my main amp since then, it‘s a truly fantastic amp.

You said it already, you can throw almost any overdrive or fuzz at the Twilighter and it will sound good. I‘m running for a while now a Lightspeed as my main drive, an MXR Timmy as gainy boost and two fuzzes (Dan Drive Austin Blender and Kingtone Mini Si). Lots of different flavors and they all sound killer..

I also tested the amp with a KoT, Benson Preamp and Browne Protein and they were also working great.

Enjoy!

AStrangeDay

Congrats on your new Twilighter!
I took the plunge one and a half year ago and it‘s been my main amp since then, it‘s a truly fantastic amp.

You said it already, you can throw almost any overdrive or fuzz at the Twilighter and it will sound good. I‘m running for a while now a Lightspeed as my main drive, an MXR Timmy as gainy boost and two fuzzes (Dan Drive Austin Blender and Kingtone Mini Si). Lots of different flavors and they all sound killer..

I also tested the amp with a KoT, Benson Preamp and Browne Protein and they were also working great.

Enjoy!

Thanks man, have you tried with a Klon?

Slideman

I have a lot of experience with this as I've had mine for about 4 years and gigged with it and used it in the studio. The amp is not as scooped as Fender...it has a bit more mids...it could be the speaker. It loves a Boss Bluesdriver (I have a Keeley), the Timmy too (but prefer the BD-2 live). I have both a Klon and a Klone - and they work great....particularly in boosting the OD for a great lead tone.

It didn't like my Fulltone FD-3 at all. Agree on the Bluesbreaker...I have a Keeley version of that on the DCR pedal and it sound fantastic.

jazzguitarfan

Gold Supporting Member
I've had the Twilighter since 2014 and haven't had a drive pedal sound bad. Last gig I did with it in August I used an Okko Diablo and Barber Gain Changer and it sounded really good. Other pedals I've used with it are a Barber CBU, Keeley DDR (bluesbreaker side mostly), Blue Note, Wampler Tumnus, Tube Screamer, SD9, Rat 2, MXR CMBAOD and Sugar Drive, Morning Glory, Fulldrive 2, Custom Tones Ethos Clean, Jetter DTMA, Dude, etc., etc. The Twilighter isn't as finicky as a Deluxe Reverb and they all sound pretty good, so take your pick of the flavor of drive you like. The Bluesbreaker types were good and a klone sounded like it was supposed to, but not my personal favorite (circuit, not the way it sounds with the amp and I like the Blue Note better for what most people use a klone for). It's also a really nice clean tone straight in.

Congrats on a great amp. I think you'll dig it.

CrazyChester216

Silver Supporting Member
Not 100% the same amp, but I've used a Greer Lightspeed and SSBS Mini with my Magnatone Varsity for a couple years and couldn't be happier.

KarlH

Silver Supporting Member
when I had one, my impression was that it wasn't very picky about pedals in general. I would imagine most would work well.

morgan918

Slightly off topic, but this video is throwing me over the edge. A local store has one in stock and I'm almost afraid to go check it out. The price, it burns. I'd have to sell my '65 vibro champ, vintage sound VS20, and my 60s Supro Big Star to cover, but I think it would be the one amp to rule them all.

AStrangeDay

Slightly off topic, but this video is throwing me over the edge. A local store has one in stock and I'm almost afraid to go check it out. The price, it burns. I'd have to sell my '65 vibro champ, vintage sound VS20, and my 60s Supro Big Star to cover, but I think it would be the one amp to rule them all.

The stereo is a thing of beauty but damn expensive. I was thinking of buying the Stereo head and a cabin simulator but i prefer to feel the air pumping out of the cabin.
But, anyway, i'm still super happy that i bought the 1x12 and i cannot wait to receive it, and also the two overdrive that i bought for it :cool:

morgan918

The stereo is a thing of beauty but damn expensive. I was thinking of buying the Stereo head and a cabin simulator but i prefer to feel the air pumping out of the cabin.
But, anyway, i'm still super happy that i bought the 1x12 and i cannot wait to receive it, and also the two overdrive that i bought for it :cool:
The stereo stuff is insane. I imagine that the in-room experience would be jaw droppingly awesome. Live, you'd have to mic both sides, which would be fine if you're going to use the vibe/trem, but that would just be killer in the right venue. I'm likely just to aim for the 1x12, for more practical stuff like carrying it around and having money to eat :)

I am pretty sure I am going to get the 1X12 too. I can imagine how nice the stereo would sound but I don't get a chance to crank my amps these days so mostly use with an attenuator and for recording so can't wait to try the Mono Twilighter with my OX and crank it!
What drive pedals did you settle on?

AStrangeDay

I am pretty sure I am going to get the 1X12 too. I can imagine how nice the stereo would sound but I don't get a chance to crank my amps these days so mostly use with an attenuator and for recording so can't wait to try the Mono Twilighter with my OX and crank it!

I ordered a Wampler Belle and a Joe Gore Cult, i'm pretty sure i'm going to get some kind of Blues Breakerish drive soon also.

morgan918

I'm also using an Ox (mostly to record), which pushes me to the mono 1x12.

Mildwest

Silver Supporting Member
I'm also using an Ox (mostly to record), which pushes me to the mono 1x12.
I use the ox with the stereo one and just dead end the other load to a torpedo captor I picked up for cheap. Works great. I live in Jacksonville and someone traded one in there that’s as brand new. Like tags still on brand new. Apparently he gets **** sent to him and didn’t care about getting ripped off by guitar center. Long story short I was able to pick up the stereo twilighter for $1650 plus tax. I ran out of the store with it at that price.

morgan918

I use the ox with the stereo one and just dead end the other load to a torpedo captor I picked up for cheap. Works great. I live in Jacksonville and someone traded one in there that’s as brand new. Like tags still on brand new. Apparently he gets **** sent to him and didn’t care about getting ripped off by guitar center. Long story short I was able to pick up the stereo twilighter for $1650 plus tax. I ran out of the store with it at that price.
Holy hell that's the deal of the century. Congrats!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom