Overdrives that work well with a Morgan AC20tb?

Makman

Hey all,

I'm playing an AC20tb head with a 1x12 loaded with a Vintage 30.

Any experience or suggestions on overdrives that work well?

I'm not really into heavy stuff and the marshall type drives haven't been fitting my fancy. I am using a Tim which I love to death but need a good stacking drive for another level of rockin drive!

Let me know!

Mike

ahcleinad

I dont know specifically about the AC20tb, but Hotcake seems to get a lot of love here with ac style amps.

venivici

I really like my Timmy and Wampler Paisley with my Morgan DAG15 - not an AC20TB, but it is a Top Boost style Morgan amp as well.

As a side note, not really an OD, but the Xotic EP Booster with Joe's amps sound fantastic in my experience.

I normally leave the Timmy on all the time at a light break up and the EP booster on. I usually kick on the Paisley when I want more gain. I think the feel and texture of the Paisley is a great pedal. I find it works equally well with HB and SC guitars. Plus the fact that Brad Paisley primarily plays Vox/TW style amps, it makes sense to check out the Paisley Drive... just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

rufe

Silver Supporting Member
Any Tubescreamer stacks well. Had an Eternity, a NOC3 PureDrive (sparkle drive), MXR Distortion III, and am currently back on an older Full-Drive 2. Stacks amazingly with the Tim(my), and sounds pretty awesome through my AC20 (not tb). Plus the Timmy and FD2 sound very different separately when needed, but stack very nice as well.

Makman

Very cool! Ya I use the Tim and the EP both staples in my rig just need that little extra drive I'll check out the Paisley!

Thanks for your input!

Makman

Ya that's kind of what I have been leaning towards. I had an older fulldrive 2 but was thinking of the newer Mosfet version thoughts?

Anybody have any thoughts of the King of Tone? Different better or similar to the Fulldrive?

deluxe83

I've tried em all, and the BEST is the rockett blue note OD, OR the rockett animal. The animal covers all the blue note territory plus more. They call it a plexi pedal, but it is voiced SO perfectly for the morgan topboost. It sounds real, if that makes any sense. Doesnt make the amp swallow up on itself.

venivici

I've tried em all, and the BEST is the rockett blue note OD, OR the rockett animal. The animal covers all the blue note territory plus more. They call it a plexi pedal, but it is voiced SO perfectly for the morgan topboost. It sounds real, if that makes any sense. Doesnt make the amp swallow up on itself.
I have heard good things about Rockett ODs. I currently have a Rockett Josh Smith Dual Trem on the way. I may have to try a Rockett OD. You said the Animal covers what the Blue Note does - have you noticed any differences/advantages of one over the other for certain styles or feel? Just curious.

Last edited:

deluxe83

i had the bluenote and replaced it for an animal. couldnt be happier. its got more output level if desired...either will work really well. Puts a smile on my face everytime i kick it on.

DraggAmps

The Blue Note and Animal are both built on the same circuit, but have some voicing changes and the Animal has more gain. It's very Marshally voiced and the Blue Note is lower gain clean boost/OD, a very transparent tube screamer style. They both use the Tubescreamer 4558 op-amp and the circuit is a modified TS, I belive. I liked them both for what they did but I don't usually care or op-amp pedals with Vox type amps. The Blue Note is a very similar style OD to the Timmy though, accept I personally much prefer the Timmy's EQ. I would go with an FET based OD with a bright amp to give you some contrast with the Timmy and to give you a more amp-like feel, tone, and dynamics. I know Rockett is coming out with a Vox-style overdrive, which I bet will be FET based, but it probably would be a little redundant with a Vox style amp.

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
I recently picked up a Jetter Jetdrive and so far it sounds wicked good through my AC20.

lando014

KOT blows the FD out of the water. My buddy plays his KOT through a Morgan AC20 Deluxe and a Morgan RCA35. Stacks it with a Rockbox Boiling Point. If you don't want to shell out the money (based on your signature, it looks like you are pretty well off), check out a JHS Morning Glory, a T1M Pearl

Makman

Ya I've had the morning glory and charlie brown by JHS just unloaded it cause I never used the charlie brown. But the morning glory is sweet trying to figure out if I should try something else or get a single channel morning glory! I do want to try the Kot but they are expensive! There is never enough money to satisfy any obsessive guitars wants:) haha. I guess sometimes we just get board and not because we are unhappy with our gear:)

Rocksully

Get a Timmy. It works great with the Morgan.
Boiling Point and Cusack Screamer both work great as well.

lando014

I gave up on getting a King of Tone...2 years or $400 just isn't worth it to me. The Morning Glory is pretty much the same thing as half of a King of Tone...They're both modded Bluesbreakers. Keep your Morning Glory and a get a Tim(my)!

SAVOIE

Definitely timmy! Box of rock, and a modded ts9 have all done me well, though the ts9 was my least favourite of the three. I had a lot of fun with a proco rat too though.

Trending Topics