Overdrives - Timmy, Eternity, Zendrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John Thigpen, May 2, 2008.

1. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I've been thinking about diversifying my overdrives. Currently, I have a Fulldrive II Mosfet Anniversary, MI Blues Pro (no fuzz switch) and an old green Nobels OD-1 (sort of collectible). Currently, I only have the Fulldrive on my board due to space reasons, but I'm going to a bigger board. I do also use a Luxury Drive and HBE Compressor. I play classic rock and bluesy rock, mostly with Teles & Strats into a Genz-Benz Black Pearl. I rarely use high gain.

The leading overdrives right now seem to be the Timmy, Eternity and Zendrive. I'm considering getting all three, but I'm never played through any of them and don't know how they compare. I have heard plenty of clips, though. I don't know what order I would use them in order to get the best, most versatile stacking. Can any of you who have more than one of these pedals comment on how you use them, separately or together? Should these replace my existing overdrives, or would they be complementary?

Last night I ordered a Timmy and Tim, though I'll probably only keep one. The quoted lead time, as of May 1, was just under 90 days, for those of you that are interested.

John

2. woude

woude Member

I own the FD2 mosfet anniversary, burst eternity and a timmy. The Eternity does more or less the same as the FD2, only the Eternity sounds a bit 'sharper' and the FD2 a bit 'plumper'. I wouldn't have bought the Eternity again, but now I have it here, it's nice to have around and I'll probably regret it when I sell it.

The Timmy is really something different and one of the best light overdrives I've played. It is in a lot of aspects the opposite of the FD2. In the way I use it, it doesn't change the eq, just adds a bit of volume and very, very light overdrive (grit) to my sound. It makes my pristine clean a bit more 'brittish' clean. It stacks great with everything.

My name came up in the zendrive list but I didn't order one. My overdrive gas is long gone. Bought a fulltone 70 lately, loads of fun. I'm still on the analogman KOT list but I'm very affraid it will lose from the FD2 and the Timmy. I'm so familiar to the FD2, most of the other medium gain overdrives just sound weird to me...

3. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

zendrive sounds really good with tele's

4. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

I'm currently finalising my board (been trying to put together one for some time now).

My overdrives are exactly your post. Tim for clean boost (I use its boost if I just want a little more grit), Zen for medium stuff, great for fusion type leads and even mild dirty chord work with fingers, and then the Eternity for the balls. I think the Eternity has a lot more gain to offer than most OD pedals. I don't think I'd need more than that!

Sweet.

5. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I hear nothing but good things about the Timmy, and it sounds like it's a lot different from the Fulldrive, so maybe just those two make a good combination.

I've heard clips where the Eternity sounds similar to the Fulldrive. It seems like the treble boost and gain would make it pretty versatile, but the Fulldrive's boost mode sort of makes it two pedals in one. The Eternity's an expensive pedal, too.

I need to listen to more Zendrive clips. Lots of people say its a great pedal, but it has its critics. I would definitely order it from Alf, as I don't want it bad enough to pay a premium used.

I also thought that since all three pedals I was considering have small footprints that I could fit them in nearly as small a space as the Fulldrive and one other.

Decisions, decisions...

John

6. jayn

jayn Member

JMO, and YMMV, and all, but I like Eternity's better than FD's due to how the tone/glass knob works. To my ears, it's much more useable and much easier to dial in tones. I can never get a FD to sound the way I want it to. That said, I didn't like the Zendrive at all. The Tim/Timmy is as described by others. I received both a few months ago and kept the Tim.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you don't mind here's my take. I just bought the following (TIM, Eternity, Fulldrive Flat mid, Menatone Red Snapper and King of the Britians) I already have a KOT and original Fulldrive. I wanted to see what would be the best fit with my Matchless Clubman.

The TIM is a lot like the Fulldrive (flat mid) version except the Tim has a little more range. People say the TIM is dry, I think what they mean is it doesn't change anything too much. It works great for a clean boost even though the boost might not be totally clean. The treble quality is real nice and doesn't sound fake even when boosting your amp a great deal. Many boosters generate this harsh, hard edged treble that I cannot stand, the TIM doesn't.

The Eternity is from the TS9 camp but has more gain. I've owned two and thought both of them were really lacking (especially for the $ paid) The pedal doesn't clean up well, the volume control was hyper sensative, (barely on, to killing people) I will never buy this pedal again. I didn't like the glass knob and usually kept it below 12 o'clock as anything higher was usually far too bright.

If you want a Zendrive tone check out the Jetter stuff as well, they sound pretty nice. If you want raging Marshall the Menatone is really cool be aware at higher settings it does get compressed (if don't want any).

Of all the pedals listed I will keep, the Analogman KOT (alternate low gainer), Menatone KOTB (higher gained stuff), Tim (my #1 for most things) and lastly the original Fulldrive for the TS9 type stuff.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. abovethewave

abovethewave Member

i have an Eternity > a Tim right now with a Barb-EQ in the TIm effect loop. I really love the Tim and its the base of my sound. I had ordered that and the Timmy, but sold the little guy. i am hoping my Zendrive is on my front porch today as it shipped a few days ago from Alfonso.

It might be the position in the chain, but I cannot seem to "tame" the Burst. It offers a lot of gain off the bat and at the lowest settings. Trying to dial up into the higher settings is futile unless I am playing at breakneck volumes.

I am hoping the ZD will replace the Burst for my Tele setup and the Burst will find a spot with my ES135 and my Tweed or BF Champ when I get to buying that in the next couple of months.

Next up is KoT, if I ever come up one the waiting list . . . 3 years and counting.

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I agree. That was an exciting discovery. Of course it rules with humbuckers. Eternity is a bit more open and glassy and woody. Zen has chirp and solid mids.

10. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

IMO - drop the E, go with the Timmy, Zen, and keep your Fulldrive.

11. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I just got an Eternity Burst, my first OD in quite a long while. So far, I'm very pleased with it- though I've yet to play it in a band context. However, in my basement studio, where I can play at pretty high volumes, it's beaten all the previous ODs I've owned. I prefer it over my last Fulldrive, as well as the Brontoboost (which I'm not certain qualifies as an OD), and I've managed to coax some very nice grind out of it.

12. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I've had all 3 and the only survivor is the Zen Drive. Check out the Jetter pedals too. I picked up a Gain Stage Purple and it's killer.

13. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I still have all 3 and I love them all. The Fulldrive II should not even be in the same sentence.

14. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Agreed! :BEER I have an Eternity regular black model and I love it. I've struggled with light to med OD's for years and went from TS-9's to modded TS-9's to Fulldrives to etc... Finally found the Eternity as a great recommendation from a friend and I can't speak highly enough for it. If you're into the smooth dumble/fuchs thing than look elsewhere but if you're into to midrange crang, clarity and woody bite than this is a great one to try. Really, they're not too expensive considering how much pedals cost these days and the used market is quite reasonable.... My 2 cents.

For what's it's what worth, I stack it into a Cusack Screamer Fuzz for my solos and they're a match made in heaven!

15. Guinness Lad

Completely disagree on this one.

16. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

yeah. I own the E, Zen, FD2 and my timmy should be here in a few days.

my take- the FD2's tone knob has less "sweet spots" than the eternity, and the gain structure is a tad nicer. neither cleans up particularly well, neither is amazingly dynamic compared the timmy or bjf stuff.

my first question- how do you adjust the tone knob of your FD2. I tended to run it about 2-3 oclock, and a similar tone on the eternity is around 10 oclock. the E is BRIGHT compared to the FD2. There are pro's and con's to both E and FD2. For me, the E is too bright and cutting to ever play chords with- killer for leads because it cuts through the mix like a knife- but awful for chords. The FD2 is more usable for chords- especially in flat-mids mode. If you move to an E expect only to use it for leads and that it will be bright at home. live is useful though.

I love my zendrive. love love love. it has its own character for sure, but the EQ options are great and the gain is well structured. I find the gain to be fluid with that chirp to the initial attack- makes for some GREAT tones. I wouldn't sell mine for anything. I use my zen mostly for leads, but its ok for chords. not as great as a timmy or my HBOD.

timmy is gritty clear overdrive. great for chords, great EQ totally different sound than E, Zen, or FD2.

17. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I use my FDII with everything set pretty close to 10:00, give or take a little. Without the boost, I get a low gain overdrive suitable for rythym or lead. With the boost, it fattens up, sustains better and gives just a slight volume kick. I like to keep everything close to unity gain so I can play clean or dirty leads, and use my guitar's volume control to control the output level.

Which of these pedals is best for a really fat, sustaining lead tone?

John

18. Guinness Lad

This is how I usually set mine as well. I have the early voicing which is more TS like then the Flat Mid version.

For "thiscalltoarms" I use my Fulldrive for singing lead tones, I rarely use it for chord stuff. When I play chord stuff (rhythms mostly) I use the TIM pedal. I think the Fulldrive does the singing lead tone the best as once the signal gets bright IMHO, it is difficult to get a nice singing tone.

As far as the Eternity goes, I have no use for this pedal as I think the TIM is better for clean stuff and the Fulldrive is better for wailing leads

19. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I tell ya, my combination of Honey Bee, Zendrive and Timmy gives me all the tones i need. I just bring out the Landies for the occasional Sunday drive :AOK

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

+1 That is what I was just thinking when I ran across this response.