Overhauling my setup.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dr. Jimmy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

My typical setup has been to use the dirt chanel of a Peavey Classic 50 and kick on an overdrive to give a little bump when needed. I'm tired of not getting enough boost when needed and having people tell me they can't hear solos etc....

I've decided to use the clean channel as a "base" and use pedals to shape the OD and dist. I have a Crunchbox that I'll use for my ballsier crunch and a modded TS-9 for a more classic rock type overdrive. I'd also like to utilize the clean channel by itself for some nice clean funk tones etc...

Apart from the dirty stuff, other pedals in my rig: Boss PS-5 (for some harmony stuff), Boss Octave, MXR Phase 90, Thomas Organ Cybaby, Catalinbread SCP (used for volume boost when needed).

One problem I've noticed is when using the clean channel with no dirt at all, I hear some slight clipping when hitting the strings hard (more noticable when using the wah). Was wondering if some slight compression would help even that out a bit?

Any thoughts, suggestions, criticisim (good or bad), ideas etc.... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

3. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

if anything compression would make it clip a bit more because of the added gain from the compressor. You would get a tighter sound though and might like it, it's worth trying if you want a punchier louder clean depending on how loud you have the compressor volume set but it is going to add a bit of gain to the signal it also has the effect (in my experience anyway) of smoothing out the top end of my wah sweep (the compression limits the treble response which softens and or smooths out the treble notes a bit) If you leave the compression on for clean though and you have quite a bit of compression you may not like the results with your overdrives kicked in. Then again, you might.

You could try a lower gain preamp tube set like 5751's though for instance.

I can't remember if Classic 50's use a master volume for the clean channel or not if they do you could adjust the channel volume down slightly and that would reduce the clipping.

you could also try higher wattage speakers (like in a seperate cabinet) for cleans but that might get expensive and if you wanted to keep the internal speakers for the OD channel you would need a cabinet switcher like the cab bone.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Thanks for the reply! The amp does indeed have a MV for the clean channel, perhaps I'll try bringing the channel volume down and the master up. I also have a Classic 50 head that I use into a 4x12 so I will try that setup and see if it acts differently.

6. pgissi

pgissi Member

Here is the hands down best way to get the cleanest boost with the most headroom, use a boost pedal in the fx loop. The loop return is post master volume and pre-phase inverter /driver stage. With a transparent boost from a pedal say from an EQ or other its as if you have turned up the Master volume

Other boosting in the chain before the re-amp will alter gain structure and increase saturation and resulting OD, this may be happening now to you where your not louder only more saturated and compressed

Lastly, using a cleaner type OD pedal with less OD and more Volume from the controls post your dirt pedal will be a more effective boost when you stack

But the Boost in the Loop is the way to go and I use a Boss GE-7 set flat but the gain up a few db so my tones the same but I am just hitting the Output Stage of the ampo with more signal.

I modded the GE to be remotely switched on and off for insta boost from my pedalboard. Of course you coudl have it on all of the time and put it in a remotely switched True Bypass looper.

7. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Sounds good, but neither amp has an fx loop. One of the reasons for the switch was dur to the over compression by hitting the pre-amp with OD pedals, I want something that'll cut through more and be louder....

8. pgissi

pgissi Member

Sorry thought the Peavey classic 50 had a loop. My buddy has the combo and it has a loop.

Of is it that on the back panel it say "Pre-Amp Out" and "Power Amp In"?

If so that is an FX Loop. My Rivera says exaclty that not "loop send and return"

9. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

The newer Classic 50's all have fx loops, mine are both from around '91-'92 or so. Awesome sounding amps though.....

10. pgissi

pgissi Member

Thats ashame because the most difficult thing to accomplish is to boost the clean channel as it is, cleanly, it rarely works using the pedal chain since its altering the gain and resultant od hitting v1 of the amp.

The only alternative is to set up another amp/cab, feed it from your lo sens jack from the peavey and keep it switched off via an in line switch (thats also shorts the input to the amp so its silent when off) and then kick it in for solos, doubles the amount of air you push instantly but there is a but.

If you use the lo sens jack, you will need to put a buffering pedal in line post lo sens jack and before this 2nd amp with the shorting switch after the buffering pedal so you minimize tone loss at your peaveys inputs as the buffering pedal provides isolation between the shorting switch/2nd amp and the lo sens jack, maybe even use a compressor to tweak this solo tone you kick in.

I am not 100% this will work, depends on the peaveys input jack wiring but it cant hurt to try even if its a smaller speaker and/or ss power amp/cab (you'll need some eq with this), a little combo whatever.

You just want what you have louder and there are 2 ways to accomplish that-

-hit the output stage with more signal
    -increase the speaker dispersion by moving more air and using more speakers means more cone surface area pushing air, especially from an additional amp where the original amps load is not altered

11. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Judicious use of the volume pot. Some people dime their amps and control their volume with the volume pot alone.

Here's what you can do:

Set the amp's master at the level you want for solos. Set your overdrive/dist gain levels for your lead tone, and back off the guitar's volume to an acceptable rhythm volume. The resulting clean-up in signal due to the volume pot change should create a very pleasing rhythm tone.

12. pgissi

pgissi Member

I use the vol pot extensively and it works just maybe not to the degree you want, it depends on the band, the room, the tone needed and the song etc. but I am always working to to alter the vol and tone

Ultimately I have 3 types of boost available and use all 3 either alone or toghter depending on amount of boost and/or drive need. Depends on what you want to accomplish

-guitar volume pot

-pedal chain boost from my last in line OD, the Sparkle Drive, gives a good clean boost to whatever precedes it or even a compressor

-fx loop boost for cleanest boost

But unfortunately when the band is saying, we cant hear you it means you need to be louder but cleanly and if you dont have a loop, the guitar vol pot method is the next best choice.

I find it works best on more ODriven type sounds since the ratio of low pot to high pot works better with juiced tones through pedals and amp more so than clean tones where its not that dramatic, just maybe brighter.