Overhead Drum Mic healp!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by SKYHIGH, Feb 27, 2012.

1. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Hi,

I am planning on these drum mic for out Youth kids at church. It's Shure DMK5752
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUDMK5752

I am not a drummer or familiar with these stuff. I think I also need overhead drum mic to go with this kit I'm looking at. What do you recommend? Budget for drum mics should be less than $300.

Thanks!

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

You rarely need overheads for live work, unless it's a bigger system/venue.

3. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

4. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i beg to differ.

my favorite for a high hat, and/or overhead is the AKG 460 w/ck1 capsules.
    my new flavor of the month overhead mic is the new Shure Beta 181/C.
    they sound great and are reasonably priced ($500/ea, or a bit less).

i'll always throw up a high hat mic, and if i have enough channels, a pair of overheads, if only room for 1 overhead, i'll put it over the ride cymbal.

in a small enough place i guess you could get away with no overheads, but they really help liven up/open up the drum kit sound when used. i generally put them up and use them as needed. it's easier to run the lines and not put them in the mix than it is not putting them up, and then changing your mind a few songs into the bands set, wishing you had.

5. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Was just about to disagree with you, but you make a good point, better to have it there and not use it than not have it there at all and need it. Depends on the sort of music that's being played...

6. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I agree that it's better to have them and not need than the other way, if you have channels available. I favor large diaphragm condensers for overhead work, AKG 414's, Shure KSM32's and the like, but it's entirely personal, and small diaphragm condensers work just fine too. I have Shure SM81's or AKG 451's. If you're looking for a low-budget solution, I'd shoot for ADK SC-2 or SC-T mics. They can hang with an SM81 for about a third the cost.

7. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I wouldnt dream of not using over heads....regardless of venue. Doesnt take long to set up, and if you dont need them thats fine to.

8. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

I'm confused. You are already $100 over budget if your drum mic budget is $300. The link for the DMK5752 kit lists it at $399. Am I missing something here?

9. Matticus

Matticus Member

Re-read the second sentence more carefully.

OP, where are your drums located (e.g., Out in the open? Behind a shield? In a cage?)? Also, how loud will the drummer(s) be?

10. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

the second sentence doesn't make it any clearer. i'm assuming he means he has $300 budgeted for overheads, in addition to the $400 he spent on the SMK5752.

and exactly how do you expect him to answer the "how loud will the drummer be" question?!? the drummer is not nearly as loud as a jet plane taking off, but he's much louder than the sound of a pin dropping.

i'd rather see the OP spend the $300 on one decent condenser mic than 2 crappy ones. also, OP, you are are going to want a mic on that high hat, so keep that in mind. typically a condenser mic is used for this application.

11. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thats what I always figured. I'd think you'd get too much bleed from other amps in close quarters.

12. Matticus

Matticus Member

You'd be surprised how quiet some churches want their drummers. That might change someone's recommendation. If they have shields all around the drum with a cover, that might change things too. I'm just trying to ask the right questions (even though I'm not always good at that).

We both want him to spend his money wisely and that's awesome. :)

13. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

half of my work is with church systems, so i do know a little when it comes to houses of worship and their sound issues. if you want your drummer dead quiet, consider electronic drums. you won't need mics, you won't have any noise from the drummer, and you won't need drum shields (or, fish tanks, as i call them). if the drummer is dead set against electronic drums (and who could blame him), the next step is to put him in a fish tank. what i mean by this is a 5 or 6 sided plexiglass shield that goes about 3/4 of the way around the drummer. this will help keep down the direct sound from the drums. if you do put him in a tank, then you really will want overheads and a high hat mic, plus your 3x 57's and 1x 52 from that drum kit from Shure. if there is no fish tank, and he's playing acoustic drums, maybe see if he can work with brushes instead of sticks to keep his sound level down. all of that being said, it seems to me that what you really need is 3 more mics....a pair of overheads/cymbals, and a high hats mic. you could get away with 2 mics, the high hats and a single overhead, but that's about as slimmed down as i would go. best of luck. i honestly don't know a good, $150 condenser mic to recommend a pair of for you. i'm not a big fan of cheap condensers because, well, they sound cheap. the lower end audio technica condensers sound half decent, or, maybe you could find some used condensers on ebay or CL. if you shoot me a line by PM, i can search around my shop and see if i can dig up an older condenser that would work for the high hats or overhead. i might just have something that will work.

i hope most/some/all of this makes some sense.