Overly bright guitar not so bright afterall

kingrazor

I was convinced my Yamaha Strat-copy was just an insanely bright guitar because I was running the tone knob down at like 2. But, I had been running the amp's treble knob at the same setting I use for my Samick "les paul", 10 (out of 12).

I tried dialing the treble on the amp down to like 3 and I could play the Yamaha almost wide open without it sounding overly bright. Now I'm thinking my Samick is overly dark more-so than my Yamaha being overly bright.

I was already going to get new pickups for my Samick but now I'm choosing slightly brighter pickups; a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge.

I believe that if you have enough room to compensate on your amp, then the guitars are fine. The other thing that helps a lot on a strat style guitar is turning the volume down on the guitar. You lose a little volume and top end gets rolled off between 10 and 7 on the dial.

kingrazor

I believe that if you have enough room to compensate on your amp, then the guitars are fine. The other thing that helps a lot on a strat style guitar is turning the volume down on the guitar. You lose a little volume and top end gets rolled off between 10 and 7 on the dial.

Honestly the Samick is a little dull even with the treble on 10 on the amp.

pipedwho

At least you were using the tone control on the guitar. I know people that have changed the pickups on the guitar because they were 'too bright' with the tone at 10, and didn't like running the tone at 7 to get the perfect tone. In their mind, the pickups were so close, but not quite there.

It's easier to warm down a bright pickup than it is to brighten up a dead pickup.

Jason_77

I believe that if you have enough room to compensate on your amp, then the guitars are fine.

I like this way of looking at it. I had the same experience when I got my first strat. I plugged it in with my humbucker settings and it was just harsh and strident. I had to back the presence down quite a lot and take a notch off the treble. But once I got there, it sounded great!

Just don't look at the levels on the controls or you'll start thinking something's wrong with the amp! Close your eyes and turn the knobs till it sounds good.

kingrazor

Just don't look at the levels on the controls or you'll start thinking something's wrong with the amp! Close your eyes and turn the knobs till it sounds good.

I prefer to have an idea of what settings are where so I can remember them in the future.

I'm not kidding! Dial in the tone with your ears, and then take a look at the levels on the knobs. Sometimes I'm surprised to see where they end up, and I know I wouldn't have put them there if I was looking. It's just an exercise in listening. It's good for you.

kingrazor

I'm not kidding! Dial in the tone with your ears, and then take a look at the levels on the knobs. Sometimes I'm surprised to see where they end up, and I know I wouldn't have put them there if I was looking. It's just an exercise in listening. It's good for you.

That's always what I've done. I never said I only adjust tone knobs with my eyes. All I was commenting on was the significant difference in the settings. I didn't expect to have to make such a large adjustment between the two guitars. The conclusion I drew is that I'd like to swap the pickups on each guitar (but mostly on the Samick, the Yamaha is fine for now). That way I don't have to make as big of an adjustment on the guitars, and in the case of the Samick I might want to actually use the tone knob whereas right now there'd be no point because it's already too dark.

I've been a live sound guy for almost 8 years, so I'm no stranger to this stuff lol.

That's always what I've done. I never said I only adjust tone knobs with my eyes. All I was commenting on was the significant difference in the settings. I didn't expect to have to make such a large adjustment between the two guitars. The conclusion I drew is that I'd like to swap the pickups on each guitar (but mostly on the Samick, the Yamaha is fine for now). That way I don't have to make as big of an adjustment on the guitars, and in the case of the Samick I might want to actually use the tone knob whereas right now there'd be no point because it's already too dark.

I've been a live sound guy for almost 8 years, so I'm no stranger to this stuff lol.

I run sound once in a while. I love it! I'm always surprised at the difference in perceived volume just sweeping the mid frequency. I wasn't cuttin' on ya, just putting my experience out there. If people can learn from my mistakes, and I've made plenty, it could save them some time. The quest for tone is a journey, and I'm damn glad to be on it with you fine folks!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom