Overpaying for a guitar.. Yea/Nay?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarfool, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Pongo

Pongo Member

Depends on what you consider 15% overpriced... are we talking 15% over typical invoice or 15% over what I'd like to pay?

If it's a standard production guitar, unless I'm absolutely besotted by its specific feel and sound -- e.g. a "Magic Strat" story -- no fricken' way. I'm not paying an additional $100-200 invoice for a guitar when I can literally drive 10 minutes and buy a different (but nearly identical) one at a more reasonable price.

If it's some kind of small batch, limited edition, or rare finds, probably not, but never say never! I came across a Suhr Classic T Antique a few months ago, which was definitely 15% more than I would like to pay -- but despite the cost, I did seriously consider it and will likely get one in the future.

2. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

I picked up a Heritage H-150. L-O-V-E that guitar, but I bought it new knowing that the used market on Heritage's is incredibly soft. Could have saved probably $800 buying used. No regrets though.

3. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

I slightly overpaid on my latest bass purchase: a Fender Custom Classic Jazz V Bass. I probably paid about $200 over market value comparing recent sales on Talkbass.com. Why? Well, it was in great condition, in a colour scheme I like, but I think most importantly an easily executable sale compared to having to deal with the drama that sometimes follows with a Reverb or PayPal purchase. So I suppose I paid for the convenience and the guarantee that I knew the bass I was going home with was "as described."

4. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

I would only overpay if:

A) It was a bucket list guitar, that I "knew" I would never sell
    and
    B) It's hard to find

5. Maggot

Maggot Member

Here are the circumstances under which I'd consider overpaying for a guitar.

1) It's the only one I can find that's local, and I don't want to buy one I haven't tried out,
    2) It's unique, and I may not be able to find another one, or
    3) I have calculated the monetary value of my time and have determined that the many hours I'd save trying to save $75 just isn't worth it.

I have perennial problems with category 3. The value of my time is 50-75/hr. I have often spent many hours saving $25, frequently in ways that cause me to spend more money later anyway.

Ltsft likes this.
  6. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

What did you spend on the last pro sporting event you went to? All relative and i like a deal as much as anyone, but if it's under 100 bucks difference, i'm probably going to just grab it. Also, what is your time worth to find another as maggot pointed out?

Guitarfool likes this.
  7. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

The last acoustic I bought (a J-185) was a bit overpriced as others in similar auctions, but it turned out to be in amazing condition, with impeccable playability and tone. Most others I saw had issues such as lifting bridges and low saddles, this one was ideal. In hindsight it was absolutely worth the extra money to get a superior instrument I intend to keep for decades at least.

If a guitar really rings your bell, IMHO you should be ready to pay a bit extra for it. Settling for a lesser guitar that you might not like vs. one that excites you every time you pick it up, that's no real comparison in my book.

8. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Most guitars only have so much built into profit margin for a store. Of course the more expensive the larger discount you can give. Having said that I don't think I have really ever paid too much for a guitar. Some guitars I own which are very expensive new (such as obscure MIJ brands) don't have the resale value of what they should be worth. Those kinds of guitars I don't plan on selling- to me they are just tools to use to make music.

9. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

This is the way im leaning, i am going to play the guitar again and if i REALLY "feel it" i am not going 2 sweat a couple extra bucks

H. Mac likes this.
  10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It would depend on if I thought I could find another one at a cheaper price.

11. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Good decision! I hope it works out for you!

12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

If you're thinking about the resale value, you've already lost.

I actually just did that... bought a guitar that was a little overpriced, just because I loved it. It was on consignment, so the store couldn't negotiate without consulting the seller, and it didn't seem worth risking missing out on it.

Part of it is that I don't buy guitars that much now, because I have a complete collection of mostly guitars I really love and won't part with. But this is my second one this year, and both of them were love at first sight. I don't know if I'll love it the way I love that Mossman, but if I do, it's worth every penny I overpaid and then some.

13. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I think of that as "rent". If I get to rent a great guitar for a few years for $200, it's a good deal, right?

Hank Habanero likes this.
  14. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

As a lefty - I've 'overpaid' a couple times on 2 dream guitars I still currently own.

I just paid $1,400 on a mint condition (essentially brand spankin' new) Fender AmPro Jazzmaster. Not a bad deal by any means... and I didn't really 'overpay' I guess... but many of you may be thinking, "dude, if you would've waited, you could've got a better deal on an American-made Jazzmaster."

The problem is that I always wanted it to be with certain specs (what made it a dream guitar): seafoam green, maple neck, the traditional Jazzmaster vibrato system, the P90's, and yes... I wanted it to be a Fender...

So when Fender just a few months ago released 5 different colors of LEFTY Jazzmasters, and one of them was "Mystic Seafoam" w/ a maple neck... I couldn't resist when I saw one for just a bit less than the new price.

Point is in all that rambling... If you see your DREAM guitar, you don't know how often you'll have the opportunity to snatch it up. IF you can afford it, then go for it.

15. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Depends on quite a lot of things! Money tight then no! Need badly for a pending gig-maybe! As stated before paying 10% more for a $400 guitar is different than paying 10% for a $4000 guitar!

16. DV52

DV52 Member

So lets see it .

17. Drew66

Drew66 Member

I’ve paid more than I wanted to and probably more than if I had waited for another example of a guitar (and a pedal or two for that matter). More than it’s worth? Depends on how you define what it’s worth, generally I will pay a bit more for something hard to come by than something I know is common. I typically won’t go way over what I see others go for, but over by some, yeah if I want it.

18. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

It entirely depends on my financial situation at the time. In general I'm pretty thrifty when it comes to gear and wait until the price is right. Sometimes I get a bonus at work, and get the itch to shop. I've overpaid in those scenarios and felt ok about it. I guess it's like overnight shipping, I paid a premium to have it now.

19. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

After checking current market value for the model, I would pay a little more if there was something unique about a particular guitar that I liked.