Oversized 1x12 vs. Compact 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Richeray, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Richeray

Richeray Supporting Member

I'm getting ready to order a cabinet for my Brown Note D'lite, and was wondering what the difference is tonally, between a compact cab and an oversized one.

Thanks!

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I spec'd out a custom 1x12 from Kingsley Amplifiers....

In my desire to have a head and cab with the same width, for a monolithic look, I ended up with an oversized 1x12, relative to Simon's standard cab size.

We believe that this change resulted in a bigger fuller sound that has more bottom end. Simon felt that his standard cabs accentuate mids more, and my cab is fuller but gives up more bottom end.

Depending on what you want, oversizing could be either a good or a bad thing. it would also seem that one could go too far in a direction, either too big or too small.

Good luck.

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I love the size of the Hermida cabinets. Of course being 61 I would.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Richeray

Thanks guys. Anyone else?

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The Port City Wave 1-12 OS is both compact and has a big open sound. Plus, your amp head will fit on top of it. Best of both worlds.

6. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I bought a Boogie compact open back cab w/EVM 12L that I used with my Fuchs ODS when I didn't want to carry the 2x12 cab. It was very directional and compressed sounding compared to the 2X12. I then bought an Avatar Vintage G112 cab which is oversized and used that with the Fuchs as well. No comparison, the Avatar was much bigger sounding, open, and the sound seemed to fill the room versus seeming like it was being shot out of a laser. Similar to a wide Fender combo amp compared to a small Boogie combo. I even swapped speakers back and forth between the cabs and the results were always the same.

7. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

OK, I went from an OS Tone Tools 1x12 to the combo shell for my Badger to a Bogner OS 2x12. Tone Tools was great, but I really wanted the combo shell when it became available. Then a good deal came up on the Bogner that I couldn't resist and, while I love it, it is totally killing my wrists and forearms when I have to lift it up and down the basement stairs. So I just got the Badger 1x12 which I consider to be quite compact. I've only spent a day with it and haven't played it in a band/gig setting, but it sounds and feels very much the same as my Bogner so far and even more focused in the lows than the combo shell was. Not weaker, just more efficient. I expected it to feel "smaller" than what I was used to with the combo shell, and definitely MUCH smaller than the Bogner, but this cab doesn't lack anything so far. Next gig isn't until late August, but if my opinion changes about this little thing, I'll re-post.

8. Richeray

I've deicded to go with matching Brown Note cab, so the brand of cabinet has been decided. I don't gig, just the occasional jam, so portability isn't really an issue.
    The cabinet I was using it with initally isn't an oversized one, and I was happy with the tone, which is why I'm leaning towards the compact one from Brown Note.
    Decisions, decisions......

Thanks for the replies.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Compact cabs sound small and cardboard like. Unless it is a thiele port. Which the Brownnote is not. Get a full size cab. Not compact. No comparison IMHO.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have a buddy who plays his Dr. Z head thru a Bogner Cube. Pretty small 1 x 12. I was really surprised at how big it sounded. Seeing it, I expected a more confined or boxy sound, particularly since it is a closed back design.

11. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Gone under a haze of unanswered question/orders.
    Nice cabs mos def if you can find one used...

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I'm big time back into Thiele-ported 1x12s w/ EV-type speakers these days...
    Old Rivera TAC112, new Boogafunk BT112,...

14. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Totally agree.

15. justonwo

justonwo Member

Me too.

16. m@2

m@2 Member

in my experience, a small cab can sound very good (and brown note stuff is great)... generally punchier, and more direct sounding, where the oversize cab has an almost natural reverb "bigness" to it, like the speaker is breathing easier. Kinda depends on style/need (and of course weight might be a factor for some)

17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Yup. Generally speaking...big cab = big sound and better bass. More wood to sympathetically resonate with the speaker. And, the type of wood can make a difference too. Old (dry) pine = good.

Tom

18. Richeray

Thanks for all the replies. I've flipped back and forth on which one I'm getting at least five times, but for now I think I'm going with the OS.

19. Richeray

Oversized cab has been ordered - Thanks for all the help!