• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Oversized 4x12 cab thread

dattoboy1

Just wanted to compile a list of manufacturers who make oversized 4x12s. Will update this list as we go.

Mesa Recto OS slant/straight 4x12
Zilla Oversized straight 4x12
Mojotone Grand Canyon Oversized straight 4x12
Marshall 1960TV slant 4x12

feet

Silver Supporting Member
Engl e412 XXL cabs
Orange briefly made one to correspond with the thunderverb 200, the ppc412hp8

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Personally, I don't care for oversized 4X12 cabs.
Sure, they might sound bigger, but they typically have more bass & highs resulting in scooped mids.
Since guitar is a midrange based instrument, I find that the smaller the cab, the sweeter the mids.

Axe-Man

The Orange PPC412 is pretty sizeable and a definite heavyweight scales wise.

It’s like an OS 1x12, scoopy and boomy if you go too big.

Silver Supporting Member
.........pfffffft...........oversized 412.......how about a 612 from Zilla. ;) :p

:beer
I don’t know how Zilla wires their cabs, but those 6x12 Emperors were popular for awhile and wired stupidly, giving the top two speakers more volume than the bottom four.

JJ321

Atlas Cabs offer an oversize 4x12.

GreatGreen

I don’t know how Zilla wires their cabs, but those 6x12 Emperors were popular for awhile and wired stupidly, giving the top two speakers more volume than the bottom four.
Makes sense, they'd probably need to wire one quad to X ohms and the remaining two speakers to the same ohms rating, then wire the quad and the pair together to end up with a total ohm rating that's compatible with most amps.

How could a 6x12 cab be wired so that all 6 speakers output the same volume and be anywhere close to the ohms a tube amp wants to see?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom