Overwhelmed by IR choices - what are the best easy to use mixes?

leblee

Silver Supporting Member
Hello folks! I got a Cab M a few months ago and I have been really impressed with the technology. I used the onboard IRs and bought a few others.

I generally end up with a result I like but I feel the amount of mics, mic combinations and positions overwhelming.

Although I did some recording in the past I'm primarily a guitar and bass player so I trust that there is a sound engineer out there that can get the most AC30 or Marshall sounding mix out of the 100 possibilities I have. When I get IRs I get like 100 files but generally only want the 3/5 mixes they provide :)

Is there a bundle or website that focuses on mixes rather than all the raw ones for diversity?

In case it matters, I just want some pretty basic/classic sounds. Tweed Deluxe with American speaker, Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, Marshall 4x12.

James Freeman

I like OwnHammer IRs.

The (r)Evolution Debut Bundle pack will get you covered for the things you've mentioned.
I also like Heavy Hitters - Volume 1 and mostly use it for heavier tones.

Start here:

JasonE

These are very popular. I bought some on black Friday but haven't really dug into them too far. They have multiple files but I think pretty much all of them are going to have that. He has some decent descriptions in the documentation that comes with them.

batsbrew

you have to go thru the paces.

there is no other way.

i may tell you my favorite, but it may not work for you.

just get busy.

Silent Sound

You have to mix the guitar part to the song. And since every song doesn't sound the same (despite what your impressions of the radio might be), every guitar part won't need to be mixed the same way.

So there's not really a best. There's not even a best for you. Though you might pick up a few favorites that you return to often. But there are so many other factors at play here, that I wouldn't trust any recommendation given to me.

RevDrucifer

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve got over 45,000 IR’s. Had I discovered York Audio’s first, I’d have a LOT less.

You get less IR’s than some other companies per pack, but a LOT more that sound great. I don’t know if other companies just point and shoot without paying much attention to what they’re actually shooting, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with York’s.

leblee

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks folks.

Sounds like I should try York. I definitely don’t need a bazillion combinations. And they have the cabs I care about.

I get the point of going through the exercise and things being a personal choice. While I don’t fully disagree, before there was a guy that would mic my amp (for better or worse). Now going ampless that is also my job but I don’t really enjoy it :)

Last edited:

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
+1 for York being super easy. Yes you have to buy several packs to get all you’re after. But let’s be real at $14.99 usd every single person on this forum has probably bought and almost immediately resold a pedal that cost more than 8-10 York IR packs :-D

I very occasionally have something other than mix 01 with mine. But not often. And never once have delved into the single cab files because I’ve had zero need or want to.

Steely Dave

+1 for York being super easy. Yes you have to buy several packs to get all you’re after. But let’s be real at $14.99 usd every single person on this forum has probably bought and almost immediately resold a pedal that cost more than 8-10 York IR packs :-D

I very occasionally have something other than mix 01 with mine. But not often. And never once have delved into the single cab files because I’ve had zero need or want to.
Samesies

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
If you do experiment with Ownhammer, just try to stick to the most basic mixes.
It quickly becomes turd polishing tail chasing.

Their Modern or OH 00 mixes are generally “correct” if you find the right match.
The rest tend to have more low end which is not usually a good thing.

York Audio (I test for him) goes to great effort to come up with 12-15 mixes that should serve many uses/genres/taste.
Then they also have 5-7 shots if each single mic.

With York, SM58-01 is my favorite way to get to know the cab

Gabriel_GR

I use York Audio as well. Just picked a mix from their deluxe reverb package and called it a day. Anytime I tried to see if I was missing something I ended up tired and returned to it.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I like OwnHammer IRs.

The (r)Evolution Debut Bundle pack will get you covered for the things you've mentioned.
I also like Heavy Hitters - Volume 1 and mostly use it for heavier tones.

Start here:

+1 to start with the Revolution Bundle. You get 8 different cabs that cover all the basics. You have either summary folders, mixes, or single mics. But to keep it easy, I would start with the summary folders.

I like York too but collecting a variety of packs will be more expensive and some have more/less options depending on how new they are.

Prina

I'm also a York guy but OwnHammer has its fans too. I know that on the Helix system, IR's made a massive difference. One option you might consider is trying the OH Revolution Bundle to cover most of what you want and if one or two aren't doing it for you, check out the York versions.

Or just try the York $1 Mesa 212 limited pack for a sample of his quality.

GtrWiz

I've tried lot's, including everything mentioned in this thread, and I keep going back to Celestion IR's. I use 2 IR's for pretty much everything. I don't play metal, but at least dabble in most other stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom