Overwhelmed by speaker choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CrazyChester216, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Member

Sounds like a typical Fender. If you are playing out try this, bright switch off or if on treble no higher than 4. Midrange on 4, midrange on 5 or 6, and bass no higher than 2.

If you are thinking cutting the amp up or endless speaker changes, just do yourself a favor and get a different amp.

eigentone and Stratonator like this.
  2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

Buy used speakers if you are going to experiment. New speakers never sound the same as broken in speakers.
    If you will be playing extra loud more often, then I would get more beef.....bigger voice coils, bigger magnets, and consider hemp cones if you don't like ice picky. (keeping in mind that the Cannabis Rex is probably the brightest hemp cone speaker out there) Heavier speakers will remain smooth more easily at volumes. But don't get more efficient, like the Swamp Thang or the Tonkers, those will be too bright and too edgy.

I think used Webers offer great bang-for-buck returns. My favorites are the Michigan and the Amsterdam. In 12 inchers Eminence has the Red White & Blues or the Texas Heat, both can take the punishment and still remain smooth and creamy at volume, but they don't really have anything equivalent in a 10. They don't make Delta Demons any more, a grossly underrated and under estimated 10 inch speaker.

It's not intuitive or obvious, but a great 10 inch speaker for playing a fully cranked up American amp is the Tone Tubby Superboy. It's heavy and inefficient, so it won't give you true sound at so-called "bedroom volumes" but when you plug straight in and turn it up to 11 the Superboy will really surprise you, especially if you put it in a ported cab. More difficult to resell, though, because it's really a bass speaker. I have very serious regrets about letting go of the one I had, I miss it dearly.

The Gold is the only Celestion speaker I will ever suggest, it's the only Celestion speaker I've ever used that didn't make me cringe. It is a very nice speaker, even if it is not quite built to the same rigid standards as Webers or Tubbys or Emi's. There's only one Celestion that I've never had that I would love to try and that's a Sidewinder.

If you want super clean and loud that can handle anything you throw at it, look for some used EV Force 10's. Fane's are great, too, far better than any Celestion or Emi but just not quite as balanced as the EV's.

3. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

I really liked the Jensen P10Rs that were in my Super Reverb RI once they broke in. I think if I had a Super Reverb again I might try and mix two AlNiCo type with two British-flavored ceramic-type that would fare better with gain & fuzz. If you like the big, complex sound of the 4x10, a 2x10 is not going to quite do it for you and will have less bass, body and character than 4x10. 1x12 or 2x12 will probably sound fine, but will be a different sound & will not be as room filling. I am using a 1x12 combo that is a similar sounding amp to the Super Reverb and really miss the 4x10 sound the Super Reverb had. Been on a speaker search myself to add an extension cabinet to get something closer to that sound the Super had, at this point looking at a 1x12 Jensen Blackbird to pair with the 1x12 Celestion Creamback in the combo.

In 10s you might think about the Jensen Blackbird which is similar to the classic Jensen AlNiCos but with a smoother top end and fatter mids. If you were sticking with 4x10, 2x10 Jensen Blackbirds and 2x10 Electric Lightnings in an "X" pattern is something I would want to try... I have heard of others using Celestion Golds in their Super Reverbs and saying good things about that combination, but Golds definitely take a long break in period before they mellow out and sound their best.

Lots of good speaker choices out there, really depends on what you are looking to hear from your rig. Getting idea the general attributes of different families of speakers & listening to a lot of demos helps. If you are looking at Jensen's their site has the same guitar part for different genres played through each speaker, so that makes it easier to compare.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. spence

spence Supporting Member

I just put 2 Golds in my Limited SRRI this morning along with 2 of the original Greenbacks and it sounds great. Big and fat with that nice Alnico chime.

joshofsorts likes this.
  5. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

Sounds like a good combo.

6. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

OP, for cutting down volume have you tried pulling the V1 tube & using the tone knobs to help control the volume?

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The only 6V6 that can handle the SR's voltage is the JJ 6V6 and I think you will like the sound.

8. zenas

zenas Member

Amp been serviced? I don't mess with speakers until I know the amps working 100%. For instance weak filter caps cause the bass to fart out. It'll fool you into changing out a perfectly good speaker(s).
    Bias way off expecially cold sounds crappy too.

If you want to loss a few DBs with a speaker swap forget anything Celestion makes today. Even the Greenback.
    Really you probably ain't going to loose much volume from where you are now anyways. P12Qs aren't exactly high efficiency. You might talk to Weber and see what they think.

9. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Pedro58 is spot on correct. Every speaker swap involves an element of "blind date," and there is no way to eliminate it. Besides the differences in speaker components and build quality, the placement of the cab - on a floor, on a stand, close to a wall, farther from a wall, etc. - has a major impact on the sound you actually hear. But most "blind dates" are not disasters speaker-wise, and chasing speakers can be a good experience as long as you don't let it break the bank.

10. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

If I can be so bold... I did a podcast with Dean Birdsong from WGS Speakers this week and I will be posting it in about three weeks. It was very enlightening and Dean was a lot of fun to talk to.

JT

11. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    You state new, are they even broken in yet?

12. CrazyChester216

CrazyChester216 Member

"New" relatively. They're really 3-4 years old. I've spent a lot of time the past couple months breaking them in. Amp was serviced and biased somewhat hotter than it was before.

Thanks all for the recommendations, the quest for the perfect speaker combo will be a neverending journey of discovery.

I think I'm going to try disconnecting two of the speakers to see what that sounds like. Could grab a couple 4 ohm Webers and have myself a faux-Vibrolux without worrying about an impedance mismatch.

13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

You have mentioned no tone goals, and no factors relating to the rest of your gear. IMO that's likely related to feeling overwhelmed.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

The only way I have been able to reliably make speaker decisions is by testing them myself. My amp, my cab, my guitar, my playing style, my ears. It's been a slow process....

dbeeman likes this.
  15. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Unless your power tubes are worn out, speakers changes will make a much bigger audible difference than changing power tubes.

I like Celestions in everything including Fender amps.

16. ThePK

ThePK Member

This has been my experience as well. And as a result I have ended up with a whole lot of speakers....
    I've found a few favorites that I really love, but I also enjoy having some different options around.

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Riff is right. I have a closet full of speakers for that reason. Some sound great with a certain guitar / amp combo, but don't work well in another situation.

Having said that for a Super Reverb. The Cele Greenback 10 will darken it a bit and reduce volume compared to most speakers. The WGS greenback 10 has a very nice sound - it leans more american in my book

18. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

I just popped for a quad of jensen jet blackbirds for my 4x10.
    100w ea, AlNiCo, Incredible speakers, and the more they settle in the better they get.
    At 400w it really lets me push the MIG into earlier breakup getting some REALLY musical distortion.... It's really great

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Speakers are tough for sure. We describe things we want poorly, our whole rig matters, how we play matters, how loud we play matters.... even where we play matters.
    To me tubes make maybe less than 10% of the difference speakers do.

20. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

The best Super Reverb I ever owned had Mojo Tone speakers. Man that was a great amp.