Overwhelmed with choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dko88, Feb 11, 2015.

1. dko88

dko88 Member

Long time lurker here!

Last time I've looked to purchase a new amp was about 6 or 7 years back, now that I look at the market it seems saturated with good amps.

Looking for preferably a combo (1x10 or 1x12), low watt at 5 to a max 30. Class A as a first choice but open to others. Doesn't need to have sparkly cleans but would like something that breaks up nicely and dynamic. (blues / rock)

Anything under 1500 new or used..cheaper the better!

I know how many threads are similar, sorry to be selfish and make another ..but any name suggestions is much appreciated!

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

Ibanez TSA30 - cheap, reliable, takes pedals really well. If it's just for home use there are also 5 and 15 watt versions.

3. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Member

You may want to consider the 65 Amps Ventura. I have not tried one, but have read many reviews by owners and have yet to read a bad review. Everyone who has purchased a Ventura seems to love it. As a combo it sells new for $1,800, so if you can find one used (that may be difficult) you should be able to pick one up for less than your max budget. It is a two-channel amp, channels may be switched with a footswitch, uses an EF86 preamp tube on the clean channel and a 12AT7 on the dirty channel, with two 6V6 power tubes. The combo has a 12" speaker and weighs 36 pounds. Both channels have a boost you can turn on or off with a footswitch. It is 20 watts, but comes with a master voltage control (not a master volume) that will knock the volume down but preserve the tone (the master voltage control made me a huge fan of 65 Amps).

I have not owned or used a Ventura, but I own five different models of 65 amps and love them. It's worth investigating.

Kirk

4. mtperry85

mtperry85 Member

Mesa 5:25 Express series is a great option... original non-plus versions can be had used for $500, and the newer plus versions are also within your budget brand new. I love mine for bluesy, funky rock. They are switchable from 25-5 watts, and the 5 watt mode is Class A.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Mesa Lonestar Special. Can't go wrong there!

Alternatively you might consider a Fender Vibroverb custom. I really liked it's tone and wheight but have never owned one to be aware of any potential issues. I actually liked the fender better than the Mesa.

6. Seektone

Seektone Member

What are you playing through now? Who are some of your favorite guitarists? I think it eould help to know.

7. dko88

dko88 Member

Thanks for all the responses !!

I'll definitely look into those mesas.. Always wanted to try a lonestar, hard to find around here!

Oohh I'd love a led Zeppelin to pink Floyd kind of tones.. But not necessarily! Any low watt amp that can be cranked to its full potential. Matchless lightning or nighthawk would be nice, but a bit more than I wanna spend at this point :)

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Have a look at either the HW Voc AC15 or 30. Seems to fit most of your criteria.

9. hunter_beckgerd

hunter_beckgerd Member

Save up for a Matchless, it's worth it. Or just wait for the right deal...I got my Clubman head in that budget just a few weeks ago :)

10. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Dr Z Maz JR NR or Budda SD18

11. The Funk

The Funk Member

You are describing a lonestar special. It does more than that too, but it definitely does all of that (except it doesn't have a 10" speaker, only 12")

BEST cleans and reverb ever. Drive channel is pretty amazing too. But the clean channel doesn't have to be played clean. I have mine set up where my neck pickup is clean, and my bridge pickup is crunchy.

12. custom53

custom53 Member

I can't comment on all the choices out there, but you should give a Peavey Tweed Classic 30 or 50 a shot. Great amps for Rock and Blues..

13. dko88

dko88 Member

Lots of lonestar recommendations definitely on the top of my list! Thanks to everyone who had suggestions!

Hopefully I can track one down otherwise perhaps a dr z would fit the bill :)

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

+1 big time! Huge Matchless fan here. Used Matchless would be fantastic. Lightning, Spitfire, Nighthawk are possibly in your price range.

Also - used Budda Superdrive 18 or 30
    Top Hat Club series - used

Are you after more American tones or British tones?

And - welcome to the forum my friend!

15. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I own a Maz18nr and a Ventura. Both are great amps and would do the trick. The Ventura is a bit more versatile. It has nice cleans and some British drive to it. It is a fun amp. I have the head version on CL right now. I don't need to sell it but an amp is being built that I think I want and that amp isn't getting the use as it did because I stopped playing at church. I know the combo would be at great sounding amp as the Maz would be great also.

16. Lilsam

Lilsam Supporting Member

Carr hammerhead MK I or MkII

17. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Underrated by far: Laney Lionheart L5T-112. Five watter with a 12" Celestial Greenie. Great amp. Regret, to this day, that I let mine go. Great Vox and Marshall tones. Biggest drawback imho was that it was a heavy beast for a 5w amp. 47lbs iirc. An incredible amp, nonetheless.