Own the Retro Sonic Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Original_Fire, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

What do you think of it? I'm once again shifting things around on my board and I'm wondering if this would be worth a try.

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

It's a very well made Rat. That's really all I have to say about it.

3. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Thanks for the input. Think it's worth shelling out the bones for, or are there better options in the same camp?

4. Guitar Josh

I love RS stuff, but it's a bit overpriced if you are looking for the original RAT sound, I'd try the Brown Rabbit or the Hartman or something similar.

The folks selling their RAT clones for $200 make me laugh.

5. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I've spent a lot of time studying out/buying and trying dirt pedals the last few years, but the RAT has been one I've really not paid any attention to, so I'm easily stupid on my RAT info lol.

Yeah, almost 200 is quite a bit for a dirt pedal looking at my wishlist right now. I've got a Jetter GSR and KR Gypsy Fuzz, and have been through an OCD (loved it, but it felt redundant with my Marshall) Crunchbox, Sole Pressure, Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, Foxey Fuzz, NKT Sunface, and I can't even remember what else at this point ha. I generally set my drive sound up just past break up, and I'm thinking I might like to try a distortion pedal out on my board to contrast that, ya know? Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Bump, would like some more opinions if there are any :AOK.

7. Guitar Josh

I'm not saying that $200 is out of line for a dirt pedal, just that for one as simple as the Rat, a basic clone with premium components makes it overpriced.

But most RAT clones sound pretty much the same, which is why if you are looking for the classic tone, you can go lower than $150 and still get it.

8. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I didn't mean to sound as though I was misinterpreting you, I was just saying that considering some other pedals I'm interested in right now, almsot 200 bucks for dirt when I already have a GSR and Gypsy Fuzz would seem a bit much, ya know? I understand what you're saying and appreciate the heads up. I wish I were better at explaining what it is my ear is after, but don't we all? haha

9. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've had a bunch of Rat clones, but none of them sounded quite as nice to my ears as my old small box Rat (non-LED), although the Hartman was darn close. I'd still like to try the Retro. :)

Greg

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

That sounds killer!