Owned an Axe FX 2XL, Sold it. Owned a Kemper, Returned it. Bought Axe 3, Returned it. Now I'm lost.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rich2k4, May 20, 2019.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

Same story every time. Way too much and it's all overkill. Spend thousands of dollars to just play a couple of different sounds. Sit there and scroll through presets. Realize that most of the amp models don't sound that much different. Clean tone is a clean tone, crunch is crunch, high gain is high gain. I just want a good example of each, not 100+ examples.

Honestly I plugged my guitar into my interface, pulled up guitar rig 5 an opened up the first 80's shred patch and it sounded and felt more fun to me than anything I got from any of the units I mentioned, and it cost me only a couple hundred.

Thing is I don't like having to turn on my PC every time I want to play.

I'm pretty much at a loss. I'm losing money on returning the Axe FX 3 and am pretty bitter about it. All I want is to be inspired when I play, and keep things simple, and be happy/satisfied but I haven't found that yet.

I own a roland cube 30x that is decent right now.

I'm thinking of picking up a Yamaha THR10 and calling it a day. At least it can record too. The tones I have heard online, and what I remember when I tried it in person a few years ago seems to be that it sounds great.

However group TGP think made me believe that I must own the best of the best.

Jabby92, ChaChaCha, ejecta and 6 others like this.
  2. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Supporting Member

If all you’re doing is at-home practice, then a THR10 is the perfect choice. A few options that sound and feel great.

Helix stomp would also be a solid choice. Lots of options but with only 6 available blocks per preset there isn’t too much room to go overboard. Dial your basic sounds in and call it a day.

ford, buddaman71, mikebu and 6 others like this.
  3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

For what you paid for the Axe-Fx III, why not simply buy a laptop dedicated to Guitar Rig 5 and leave it on 24/7?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Jarick

Jarick Member

What do you play through? Are you playing in a band?

The Yamaha has shortcomings but it's a nice plug and play unit. It sounds like an all in one modeling pedal isn't for you. Maybe you'd be better off with an amp and pedals?

scott944 likes this.
  5. TommyGuitar

TommyGuitar Member

Don’t know what to tell ya bud.

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

HX Stomp has most of the sounds of the big boys at a fraction of the price. Hard to beat if you’re looking for an easy to use budget home practice solution.

7. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

Nope. No desire to play in a band. I am simply a bedroom guitarist plinking away. I'm ok with just playing along to backing tracks. Hoping to get some inspiring sounds without spending thousands of dollars.

indeedido and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  8. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Have you considered or tried an AmpliFire? :dunno

9. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

You'll know it when you find it!
    I have a THR10C and it works very well. Both as a near field stereo FRFR monitor fed from my Helix Floor or HX Stomp via the THR10C's AuxIn jack, or on its own. YMMV.
    You may also want to consider giving the free trial of Helix Native a try. This would give you a feel for how the Line 6 ecosystem might suit you. If you've got or can borrow a high quality Audio Interface, you'll get very close to what the Line 6 hardware (HX Stomp, Helix LT, Helix Floor) would deliver. Although you'll need to use your computer to explore Helix Native, if you like what you hear, you could go with a HX Stomp and have all the features of the full Helix units. Connect the HX Stomp to a THR10, a quality FRFR, or quality Studio Monitor of your choice and you'd be good to go!

10. wcfields

wcfields Member

Maybe an AX8 or FM3 would be a good choice? You would be getting the quality Fractal tones and a fraction of the price that an AF III costs....

Old Guy and LordByron like this.
  11. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

The "inspiration" coming from "sounds" Is a mirage. Making music is, at its most basic form, playing the right notes in the right order at the right time. And from what's been said by own admission, it's clear to me that you're not quite there yet. So, you're investing large sums of money in Gear, trying to somehow compensate your perceived lacking in the playing dept. So, the best you can do, if you ask me, Is to get proficient on either a nylon string or acoustic guitar. Start with the One Song that gives you grief, nail It to perfection, then play It with your usual setup: more times than not, tone problems go "magically" away. Yours very truly,

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  12. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Seriously, is there some reason you don't buy a computer specifically dedicated to playing guitar and just leave it on 24/7? Certainly wouldn't cost thousands of dollars, and the variety of available amp sim plugins outweighs the available hardware choices.

13. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I would love a stripped down micro lunchbox sized Kemper with only enough memory to hold 10 profiles.

Stephans, LPTyler, spiral and 2 others like this.
  14. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

If you're plugging into your computer, then you're either using headphones, some computer speakers or some kind of higher quality FRFR setup to get the signal to your ears somehow. The Roland Cube sounds like a perfect match for you. The Yamaha mentioned in this thread might be a slight upgrade for you as well. The Helix Stomp has lots of amps and choices in it so will probably feel like overkill and the small size makes the interface harder than, for instance, the bigger Helix. I'd consider, if I was you maybe the Boss ME80 as it has a pedal like, super easy interface, plenty of tones but not too complicated, headphone out, and all the key effects you might want. It works just like a pedalboard.

How about something like a Boss Katana?

15. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Mirage my @$$. If the sound coming out of your rig isn't doing it for you then your rig ain't right..why would you immediately assess the guy isn't a good player??

OP, you got the cash - get a Friedman sb-50, matching cab with creambacks and an fx8 II. That tone is "inspirational" Take that rig to a jam or gig..nothing but smiles.

Jon C, lenster, Jabby92 and 4 others like this.
  16. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Yamaha THR10X is so much fun & bang for your buck! While I love all my different Fractal Audio units for live gigs, I use the THR10X daily.

Good luck on your quest & I do get your point here overall man.

Peace! X

Jabberwocky and SloeGin like this.
  17. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Boss Katana would be a step up from the THR10 (imo) and still not give you options paralysis. But as someone said above, you need to spend some time just playing and push all gear related thoughts aside.

xcc, PaisleyWookie and Markdude like this.
  18. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Supporting Member

If you are looking to get rid of overkill I'd suggest the AmpliFire Box. Pedal sized and full of good sounds. Or maybe try a Mooer Radar...only $146 so not a huge loss if you don't like it...

mikebu and TrickinSid like this.
  19. presence

presence Member

My THR10 sounds pretty good. When I use it as an interface and monitor for Scuffham S-Gear running on my laptop it sounds great. S-Gear only has 5 amp models and a handful of effects. They all sound great. Costs $129. Might be right up your alley.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    hackneyslim, bpayne82 and SloeGin like this.
  20. 108

108 Member

I would buy something like a Boss Katana and then consult an ENT to get my ears checked. :p

frankencat and AtomicBlaze like this.