owners of LINE6 spider valve

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Feb 16, 2008.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i played a 2x12 one yesterday,i was thoroughly impressed.though there was a few dozen patches i would never use none the less the tone i found was worht the $800 asking price...
    now, can u program ALL patches?? how do u go about that?? can u program the effects,manipulate them???
    also there is a lack of 1970 sounds,no octavia univibes ect,would them sounds be in that new fender cyber twin amp??
    anybody care to chime in on modeling amps

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I realize you said owners, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I just tried one out, it was the 112 version. We compared it to the Spider III as my buddy is debating between the spider valve and the Spider III. Playing them back to back, the spider valve sounded alot better, much more responsive and realistic sounding.

I haven't played the 212 version, but my 2 friends who have compared the 112 and 212 like the 112 version better. I assume its due to the lack of cabinet volume on the 212....

3. scruffydoo

scruffydoo Member

I just got the head version so am not 100% clued up on it yet but from what I can gather (the manuals actually pretty sparse despite being as thick as a book) you have 36 programmable patches plus a 300 odd library.

You can save a library patch into one of the 36 and save it or tweak it there. You tweak the patches like a standard amp, eq adjustments etc not like a pod thru a pc.

Im off for a fiddle with it so can confirm later if you like

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

please do,this is a cool amp,i just wish it had better fx for us hendrix type freaks

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

It has a hidden Uni-Vibe, but its not tweakable nor that great sounding. Think its between the Phaser and the Tremolo.

6. scruffydoo

scruffydoo Member

Its as I thought, you have the 36 user patches to play with, all the others are like a library although you can edit them as one of your 36 if you wish. Its not like a POD as in it doesn't connect to a PC for editing patches.

IMO I thought all the built in effects were a bit poor and pretty digital, this is a pretty neglible issue though when considering the onslaught of frankly very good tone available from this amp in both the provided patches (some of anyway) and the ones I began dialling in, only actually dialled 3 in as couldn't get off no.3 all day, sounded fabulous. (only tried at practice/house volume so far)

Bear in mind this amp is highly susceptable to the different cabs/speakers
    and the presence knob makes massive tonal changes, unlike my vintage modern where it doesn't do a whole lot of anything.

For a grab and go amp, I doubt this could be beat. :)

btw theres no bogner patches, they agreed not to compete against the rest of the Bogner range