Owners of more than 4 4X12's. Whats your reasoning?

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
I played my 67 Marshall stack (Queen/Dokken/Nazgul) through the 71 JMP 50w earlier today. It's just one of those things you that you get that goofy look on your face when you play an AC/DC, Rush, Zep, Cream riff through, and realize "These frigging guys did this every day and it was no big deal." And then you just smile that you got to do it, just like them. Sometimes you just need a Les Paul w/PAF's, a cord, and amp and a stack and go "Whoa!"

NativH

Platinum Supporting Member
I played my 67 Marshall stack (Queen/Dokken/Nazgul) through the 71 JMP 50w earlier today. It's just one of those things you that you get that goofy look on your face when you play an AC/DC, Rush, Zep, Cream riff through, and realize "These frigging guys did this every day and it was no big deal." And then you just smile that you got to do it, just like them. Sometimes you just need a Les Paul w/PAF's, a cord, and amp and a stack and go "Whoa!"
Sounds familiar. My '71 1987 (white repro box) loaded with XF2 Mullards and I63's, plus my 35th Anniversary 1960 AX, are great for just plugging into and rocking out with an SG, V, or LP. Doesn't really piss off the neighbors like my '70 Hiwatt DR 103 or '73 1959 SL can though my Hiwatt 4x12 with cast frame Fanes. or 1960TV with G12H30's. Bottom line is I like clean/crunch of the NMV Marshalls and a JTM45 is my #1 and has been since the day I got it. Paul Ruby built it for me on a JTM45 RI I sent him and it sounds spectacular with present day components like Mallory caps, Marstran iron, and GEC KT66's and everything else '60's Mullards. Nothing beats a NMV Marshall with good iron and the right tubes, at least to my old ears. A DR103 through cast frame Hiwatt Fanes is a special treat, but very different.

I do remember not enjoying myself if my ears weren't ringing for hours (or days) after a gig or show in the '70.s I knew it was time to hang it up when we effectively became bar juke boxes and my JTM45 was too loud for the drunks/guys to talk to their girlfriends or pickup lushes of the evening. Imagine if I had broken out my SL and goosed the front end for some serious volume. Hamer V SGLP AL 170 ES355 71 Marshall 73 Marshall SL.JPG DSC00031- D West JTM45 (080408).JPG
JTM45RI  PTP and Marstran - chassis top.jpg JTM45RI PTP board view.jpg '70 Hiwatt DR103 - Serial # 1032 _ '00 Hiwatt 4x12 with '73 Cast Frame Fane Speakers.jpg

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
1. Peavey Stereo Cab: alnico blue dogs on one side for the Emery Super Baby, Greenbacks on the other for the London Power Session
2. Hiwatt with purple Fanes: because it's THE sound of high volume British Rock and roll
3. Orange cab with different Fanes-different sounds for recording
4. 1970 "1960A" cab with early 70s G12M25s and replaced basket weave grill cloth, for that 70s crunch
5. Later 1982 Marshall cab with mid-70s G12H-30s for more bass and a great mix with #4
6. Mesa 1/2 back with JBL D120F and Celestion G12K-100 to handle more watts and for a brighter output. Turns out I like the Celestions better than the JBLs

Honorable mention to a vertical 412 Orange PA cab with purple back Fanes, the Marshall 810 cab, a Sunn 215 bass cab with JBLs and a Matchless 410 cab-they all take up about the same amount of space!

panhead5

Gold Supporting Member
There's nothing that will change the sound of your rig more profoundly than changing speakers but I think more people change guitars and amps before changing cabs or speakers. Anyway , as I look at all these awesome amp pics I would be happy to by an old 4 holer an pay someone to show me how to set it up jumpering channels etc. Those sound glorious in other peoples hands not mine . Can't seem to master anything without a master volume !!! LOL

MkIII Renegade

I have two Mesa Mark series 4x12s, but only because I wanted true stereo separation, plus it became mandatory after I bought the Quad.

.............and they look like military hardware, so I gotta have at least two. :beer

I generally play any amp through those cabs, although perhaps if I get an Orange or something else that looks uber groovy with the original matching cab, I will get a 3rd 4x12....

ProfRhino

There's nothing that will change the sound of your rig more profoundly than changing speakers but I think more people change guitars and amps before changing cabs or speakers. Anyway , as I look at all these awesome amp pics I would be happy to by an old 4 holer an pay someone to show me how to set it up jumpering channels etc. Those sound glorious in other peoples hands not mine . Can't seem to master anything without a master volume !!! LOL
trust me, no need to pay anybody, :dunno

two prerequisites, non negotiable :
  1. having access to a decent Plexi style
  2. cranking it up to about 60 - 80 % (these days it's child's play with the fantastic current load- and reamp boxes).
a 412 with Green- or Blackbacks would be a good start, real cab or IRs, depending on application.
the rest will be self explanatory then.
once you got to grips with such an amp, it will be very rewarding to experiment with speakers and cabs.
ymmv,
Rhino

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
I've ran Two 4X12's loaded with EVM12L's and it's awesome but brutal if your standing right in front of them .
But I still love the old 1960BX cabs with greenbacks , that classic look and sound never gets old even with my Soldano amps .
So Two 4X12's is enough for me to get the job done .

JSutter

One in my office.
One in my living room.
One in my garage.
Two in my basement.
Four in my rehearsal studio.
One in my car.
One in my ex wife's house.
One an a half in my buddie's jam room.
One in my lawyer's waiting room.
One on the FedEx truck.
One on the UPS truck, actually it just got delivered to the wrong address.
Five stuck at the shipping hub.
Six on CL.

All have faux tan pants tolex.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I could see myself needing 4x12s with the following speakers
- G12M 20w
- G12H 25w
- G12M 25w
- G12H 30w
- G12-65
- G12-80
- Vintage 30s
- EVM 12Ls
- GA64 SC

4xE120s would be too much even for me
I ended up with a Mesa 412 with 4XE120s in it. Yes, it was heavy, loud and bright! I changed out two of them for G12K-100s and I'm much happier. It's stereo and I tend to leave it mostly on the Celestion speakers, although with a dark amp the 120s might come into play.

Reactions: Roe

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I only have one 4x12 (1960a) but I would really like to pick up a 1960b to go with it.

Anomaly

Speakers and cabs have the biggest impact on your tone so it's nice to have variation. Me personally, i only have two 4x12's and I have two because nothing tops cranking a 50 - 100 watt amplifier through two 4x12's, it's a freakin huge tone! Honestly I plan on downsizing to just one in the future though, I'm minimalizing my rig. Went from 7 guitars and 5 amps down to 3 guitars and 2 amps so i'm still in the process. I'm not the gear whore I used to be, i honestly would be cool with just a couple guitars and one decent amp and cab, because i don't gig very often anymore.

Tommy_G

This might sound effed but I prefer the more diffuse lower peak SPL sound of a 4x12 in a living room and more focussed higher SPL tone of a 1x12 on a stage.

As for why more than one - tonal variation and half price speakers inside!! (Eg. can usually find a 4x12 for same price as a 2x12...paid 375 for a 1969AX and 350 for an early 89's 1960A w/G12-65's ).

Madison Home Gardens.

Trending Topics