Ownhammer FMAN IR

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vai81, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Vai81

Vai81 Member

I've just bought the new Ownhammer FMAN IR but won't get a chance to try it till next week. Checking to see if anyone has any thoughts on the new IR, particularly compared to the GNR series?

Guitarjon likes this.
  2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I bought it last night, about the fire it up again this morning.

I loaded up the summary files...I don't have time to sift through the thousands of mixes anymore. First impression is it's VERY usable and a cool pack. There is some of that aggressive growl available which I struggled to find previously.

Just doing a quick comparison between the two, the Friedman generally has a little more top end although there are some speakers that are warmer. The GNR generally has a little bit of a stronger midrange, like more of a push (or possibly flatter). They aren't worlds apart and can probably get closer if you tinker with EQ and what not.

Now comparing against things like the HH2 or the old California Duo...it's not night and day but it sounds really good.

Having the options of modern and vintage speakers is really nice too, allows you to get brighter and more...modern or warmer sounding.

Guitarjon and Vai81 like this.
  3. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

I don’t know what’s gonna beat the GNR pack for me!

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

This pack sounds great!

5. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Honestly, it's my favorite OH pack yet. And I have a TON of them .....

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

So far, same for me. It's just perfect for the Placater (Friedman BE) sim on the Helix.

7. Vai81

Vai81 Member

So I managed to load the IRs and found your feedback to be spot on. Love the FMAN pack! It's got just the right amount of top end and mid range to cut through, yet still a good amount of low end. Well done to the Ownhammer guys for releasing this pack!

Guitarjon and Jarick like this.
  8. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Ok....enough already with the positive reviews!.....I'm about to purchase yet another IR pack:eek:

Guitarjon, mikah912 and Lele like this.
  9. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Do it! The GNR pack was also my favourite.... well untill I tried the FMAN’s today....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Guitarjon, mikah912 and Willowdale like this.
  10. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Just got these but what my be able to check them out til later tonight.

11. Rocket Brother

Rocket Brother Member

The Ownhammer IR's have always been my favorites - even before I became an OH beta-tester - and the 412 FMAN are IMHO some of the best OH IRs yet.

12. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Hey guys!

Thanks for your enthusiasm and reviews so far!
    We're so happy that this pack is finally out and we hope you're all enjoying making music with it!

Here is another taste of how it sounds like in a rock ('n roll) setting:

@Leon Todd did a killer demo of the FMAN as well, I hope you don't mind me sharing it here Leon? :)

13. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Please send our thanks to the rest of the Ownhammer team! Keep up the great work!

Guitarjon likes this.
  14. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Will do!
    Cheers man!

15. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I got these the other day. At first I was thinking "great, just what I need, MOAR V30's and Greenbacks!" So far I am really digging them. I am doing a massive IR shootout in my Helix with key amp models requiring V30s or M25s. For my shootout, I am only using the OH1 02, 04, 06, & 08 files. But really I am only using the OH1 04s for M25s, & OH1 06s for V30s & V30+M25s. So I haven't even touched all the new mic types/mixes yet!

I'm comparing them to the IRs from the 212 RECTO 6 Pack, 412 RECTO V70, 412 MR82 M75, & 412 BOG ST packs. The 212 RECTO 6-Pack has been my main source of M25s & V30s, as my most used IRs from that pack are:

-EDVH
    -M65
    -H75
    -V70A
    -"V30X"- (50/50 blend of V70A+V60 (OH1) - by far my most used/favorite IR)
    -V70A+EDVH (50/50 blend (OH1) made in MixIR2)
    -V70A+M65 (50/50 blend (OH1) made in MixIR2)
    -V70A+H75 (50/50 blend (OH1) made in MixIR2)

No conclusive results/opinions yet, but I still really like (primarily) the Recto 212 EDVH, "V30X", & V70A+EDVH over some of the Fman options, so those might not get replaced in the (limited as hell) Helix IR library. The Recto 212 is a very punchy, forward, and moderately aggressive cab, which I really like, especially for higher gain stuff.

So far the Fman offerings have far surpassed the Recto 212 M25, Recto 412 V70s, Mar M82 M25s, Bog V30. My general musings on the FMAN IRs so far are:

-M25B(lend) (really good & well balanced. A dash of the M25Ms bright/tightness pulls the M25V & M25R forward)
    -M25M (meh, but can work well with M25/V30 93/Vs)
    -M93 (slight favorite over M25V. Balances smoothness & presence)
    -M25V (second favorite, soft, smooth, a bit darker and more distant sounding)
    -V30B(lend) (favorite V30 thus far)
    -V30M (meh, very aggressive, sharp, middy. Don't like it by itself but mixes well with M25/V30 93/Vs. I can see this working well with metal style high gain amps/playing)
    -V93 (REALLY good, would be my favorite V30 but I like the V30B a lot)
    -V30V (I want to like this, and I do, but I'm just not convinced yet. It is simultaneously soft/smooth & bright/grating)

-MIX (Blend of M25V & V93) (This, uh, MIX is worth the price of admission, it's baller!)

I haven't been using the M25B+V30B (or V30B+M25B), M25M+V30M (or V30M+M25M), M25V+V30V (or V30V+M25V), or M93+V93 (or V93+M93) mixes so far. I tend to prefer 50/50 blends of two speaker types, so I made the following in MixIR2:

M25s:
    -M25V+M93 (A)
    -M93+M25M (B-)
    -M25V+M25M (C-)

V30s:
    -V93+V30M (B+)
    -V93+V30V (B-)
    -V30V+V30M (C-)

M25s + V30s:
    V30V+M93 (A)
    V93+M25V (A)
    V93+M93 (B)
    V30V+M25V (B-)
    V30M+M93 (C+)
    V30M+M25V (C)
    V30M+M25M (C)
    V93+M25M (C-)
    V30V+M25M (D-)

I'll report back in a few days once I have my full findings.

16. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

What a great and super detailed review!
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

The cool thing with the Friedman pack is all the different types of V30 and M25 speakers and I think you can dial in different tones based on what you want pretty easily. If you want a brighter tone, go with the modern speakers. If you want a warmer tone, go vintage. Or try the blended speakers for something in between. Play with the M25 vs V30 for different tone as well.

Comparatively, with other packs you have different tones but to range from brighter to warmer, you would need to load the numbers and dig into different mics/mixes. It's possible but not nearly as intuitive (to me anyways). Like I said, I just loaded the summary folder and haven't felt the need to go much further yet. I'm so sick of digging into the weeds on impulses that this was as far as I wanted to go.

I haven't loaded the 2x12 Recto 6-pack back on the Helix but I'll have to give it another comparison. I like the speakers in that pack but didn't dig the overall tonality.

I really like the summary mixes on the Ownhammer stuff over the last year or two and wish they would release it for older packs as well! I would love to have it on the Bogner 2x12, Fender 4x10, and Orange 4x12!

Guitarjon likes this.
  18. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

After A/B'ing the various mic mixes last night, I'm really digging BROWN, SHRED, RIP, & SP2. Do we have any idea what mics are used on the following EMC mixes?
    -BROWN
    -CL1/CL2
    -OH3/OH3F
    -RIP
    -SP2

Guitarjon likes this.
  19. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Hey guys,

I made an OwnHammer Quick-Start guide video to explain how easy it is to get great results with OwnHammer IR's quickly.
    I hope this is of help to someone :)

20. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

CL1/CL2 is a mix of condenser and ribbon with one of the mics pulled back in the room a la Jimmy Page. RIP is a combo of SM57 and 160. SP2 I think is a 70, 57, and 121 mix. Not sure on Brown (guessing SM57 at the heart) and OH3 (guessing a 121 and another dynamic).

Guitarjon and Prince like this.