Ownhammer FMAN IR

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vai81, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

I've been listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin lately and the CL1/CL2 mixes definitely do a great job at getting a good Page tone if you use a nice Plexi type amp.
    Highly recommend them for that 'vintage' tone!

2. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Hey everybody!

A couple of cool things to share:

First, I'd love to know which speaker or mix options you guys have been enjoying in the 412 FMAN pack.
    Call it market research? ;)

Now another cool bit of news is that we just released the 'UBER DUO' pack.
    You can find it here: https://OwnHammer.com/Uber-Duo

Here is also the official news message on the release:

[​IMG]

Now available from OwnHammer is the Uber Duo impulse response library! Based on and seeking to recreate the sound of both front and rear loaded Bogner™ Uberkabs, the Uber Duo provides another comprehensive angle on the stock-configured dual speaker type 4x12 cabinet, this time focusing on a driver set with some teeth! Each cabinet is fitted with 4 speaker types: 100, T75, V30, and V70, with both the front (412 UBKF) and rear (412 UBKR) loaded cabs representing different eras or types of each speaker model. In OwnHammer Dynamic Duo style, the cabinets are also blended together, in the form of the mix (412 UBKM) option. In this latter feature, you get the best of both worlds for not only the two different kinds of cabinet construction, but also the era or type of speakers as well.

For those seeking sounds the like of the mighty A7X or Hevy Devy, these legendary musical icons were HEAVY sources of inspiration on this project, and both of large personal significance (more info there to those who will be catching the Newsletter blast!). Tones of this nature are on full display via Jon's song playthrough videos for everyone's listening pleasure:

Further information on the speaker types and file inclusions, as well as the aforementioned media demonstrations can be found on the product page at:

ownhammer.com/uber-duo

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Guitarzman and Vai81 like this.
  3. bAngiel01

bAngiel01 Member

I think the new pack looks interesting. I haven't picked it up because I'm still working through the FMAN pack, but it's on my radar.

The FMAN pack was my first OwnHammer purchase, and I'm overall very pleased. I think the V93+M93 combo is my favorite speaker. The number of Mixes and Blend options are taking some time for me to explore (not to mention the single mic shots), but the Summary folder is immensely helpful to quickly narrow down what speaker I think works best for a given application. Coming out of the Summary folder, I'm usually heading to the V93+M93 IRs.

Guitarjon likes this.
  4. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Awesome, I saw the announcement of the new Uber IR on your facebook. Will be buying it to try soon. Particularly interested in trying the rear loaded cabs.

The FMAN pack is fantastic. Compared to the GNR pack, I find it having a little more high mids that produces a more aggressive bite to the tone, but still with excellent low end.

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I've been using the "Mix" the most, it's got a nice balance of attack and low end with a pleasant mid scoop. I like starting with the blended speakers and if I want a brighter tone go with modern or warmer go with vintage. It's easy to figure out. Also, I've basically only been using the summary impulses because I'm tired of sorting through them. I like that I can change the tone by changing speakers rather than having to find tune the particular mix or mic or brighter/darker numbers. This particular format is the best so far IMO for dialing in tones.

@Vai81 is right - the GNR pack is great at that midrange punchy tone while the Friedman has a great bite to it. Honestly between these two I don't know if I need any other 4x12's. I don't see myself getting the Uber because I don't need a heavier/more scooped/more aggressive tone. The Friedman and GNR are just very well balanced.

The only thing I feel like I'm missing with OH right now is a fat/warm open back combo, maybe something that would work well with a Twin or a Class A amp. I like the Deluxe Fane and the Vox Alnico Gold, but could use something a touch fatter.

Vai81 and Guitarjon like this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

I wouldn't say that the uber cabs have a scooped sound.
    To my ears they have a fat and big sound with a lot of mids.

Vai81 likes this.
  7. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Excellent demo btw @Guitarjon!

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. Medronio

Medronio Member

Hey Jarick, you did that fantastic IR comparison of the GNR pack and some other 3rd party IR`s.
    Could you do the same comparison just with the GNR, the FMAN and the CABIR IR´s please?
    I cant decide between the GNR and the CABIR on your comparison and there is this FMAN pack too ...

Best regards

Jarick likes this.
  9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Honestly I probably won't have time for a while. I will say the Friedman is really versatile with a lot of speaker and blend options but the GNR is my go-to as it just sounds great without any effort. I use the GNR pack 90%+ of the time and rarely ever load he CabIR stuff anymore.

Medronio likes this.
  10. Medronio

Medronio Member

Thank you.
    That answer clears it to me.

11. AZguitar

AZguitar Silver Supporting Member

Hey Jon,

Which of the mic mixes in the FMan is equivalent to the GNR Raw mix? I have been using the MRBW Raw Warm ever since that pack came out. Grabbed the Fman this afternoon.
    Thx!

Guitarjon likes this.
  12. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

Awesome!

Well, there isn't really a raw mix but it's a voicing rather.
    The MMMC packs each come with 3 voicings so that raw voicing is unique to that particular pack.

The Fman has a lot of great IRs in there though.
    To get close to the raw mix perhaps start off with a bright speaker option like the M25M or V30M.
    That or a blend that features either of those.
    Then look for a mix that suits your needs.
    The MIX speaker option is also very nice so I recommend checking that out as well.

AZguitar likes this.