OwnHammer IR - what's for me?

onedge custom

I want to start playing with 3rd party IR's for my Torpedo CAB and have been drawn towards the OwnHammer studio mixes (I want to use a mix as distinct from individual mike and cab combinations)

I will use in conjunction with the high gain models on my Pod HD Pro (Dual Rectifier, Uberschall, Fireball, SLO Overdrive). I use these LOTS so want a suitable mix of IR's

my questions stems from the OwnHammer library options...

do I go for the "newest" and grab 412-GTR MAR-CB MIX? (based on a cab i would not normally associate with modern high gain)

or do i go for something older but seemingly more appropriate for my usual amp choice in the V2 legacy files? (such as 412-GTR Mes V32 STD)

I have searched this and the concensus seems to me that the Studio Mix library is the place to be... but is it for the high gain nuts (like me)???

jhall

I have the Ownhammer modern 4x12 collection and the vintage 4x12 collection.
I also have the entire Redwirez suite. I have been toying around with them lately with my Eleven Rack, Amplitube-3 and Guitar rig5 pro.
Of the two I have been more satisfied with the Redwirez cabs. In fact I bought the ENGL amp sim from the A-3 custom shop and used the Mix-ir module that comes with to combine two V-30 loaded cabs with the mics at 3" and 6" respectively and panning them 40% L and R. Talk about amazed with the tone!! And I'm not even a high gain guy (more the old dinosaur fogey rock cranked plexi sort of guy) but you don't have to be a High gain person to love the hi gain sound done right.
As for Ownhammer the consessus seems to be that most on these forums prefer it to Redwirez so I may not be the best opiner on this.

jmtaylor22

I have the Ownhammer modern 4x12 collection and the vintage 4x12 collection.
I also have the entire Redwirez suite. I have been toying around with them lately with my Eleven Rack, Amplitube-3 and Guitar rig5 pro.
Of the two I have been more satisfied with the Redwirez cabs. In fact I bought the ENGL amp sim from the A-3 custom shop and used the Mix-ir module that comes with to combine two V-30 loaded cabs with the mics at 3" and 6" respectively and panning them 40% L and R. Talk about amazed with the tone!! And I'm not even a high gain guy (more the old dinosaur fogey rock cranked plexi sort of guy) but you don't have to be a High gain person to love the hi gain sound done right.
As for Ownhammer the consessus seems to be that most on these forums prefer it to Redwirez so I may not be the best opiner on this.
I also own both, I think the Ownhammer mixes are really good out of the box which is why I think people prefer them. If you take the time to mix the Redwirez cabs yourself they can be just as good if you have the skill and patience to mix them.

OP if you just want plug and play easy I would buy the Ownhammer studio mix

They are both quality IR files, I really like the Ownhammer with the Randall tube pre (T1) mixes for just plug and go.

I can't really comment on high gain though.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I say go with the new ones, they are really really good.

But, the most complete and versatile IR library so far that i have encounter is the Red Wirez BigBox... and remember that really pro mic cabinets don't use just one microphone, so get your self the BlendIR application from Two Notes, its by far the most versatile Mix IR application on the market.

I try to find my tone with just one IR because combining IRs can be a bit overwhelming because the combinations are virtually endless.

Lele

I had bought the recent 4x12 Mix modern and the 1x12 Mix vintage collections.
Yesterday finally I took the time for an extensive test, playing a lot with some background tracks.

I was really impressed, and it seemed to me to "feel" the paper cones moving :)
Since there are so many wave files, I just limited myself to try the "Median" files.
After some random choices at the end I focused on the speakers that I had at least a little knowledge about. And (maybe) I liked the T2 amp a little more. So, from the 4x12 T2 (modern mix) I used and liked:
ALN-Blu: nice sweet sound, rather balanced and cutting well in the mix
V30: playing alone they're not so pretty, but they work well in a mix. I was surprised by the big difference between the Chinese one (very aggressive, and a little mid scooped) and the English one (more rounded), and at the end I used a mix of both
H-RI-55: good lows and some fizzy highs, not cutting very well, but I think it could be useful to add some missing sparkle and thunder to the other IR files

Then I tested some 1x12, but soon I was captured by the wonderful J12CN (T2 median version), and stopped trying anything else. I love it. The Fender cleans are gorgeous, but I liked it very much even with more aggressive Marshall sound, with wonderful harmonics, and always cutting well in a mix.
By the way, I was surprised by the (much) higher volume of the J12CN against most of the 4x12 IR waves.

So, in my daw with LeCab2 allowing till 6 IR waves, I put together a big mix (or mess?!?) with all of the above (all from T2 median IR):
ALN-BLU (4x12)
V30-CH (4x12)
V30-EN (4x12)
H-RI-55 (4x12, but cutting a little high freq with the filter)
J12CN (1x12)
and after adjusting a little the volume of each file to get a nice balance for me, I found it still was a little too aggressive (too much presence). So I even added another J12CN with R121 mic.
So now I have this big mix of 6 IR waves that I love both for clean and distorted tones.
Maybe I'll adjust a little more the eq with some eq plugin in the daw in the next few days, and then I must find a way to melt everything in a single wave form, so that I can use it more quickly in other software too, and maybe in the Logidy pedal if/when I buy it.

By the way, I used just VST plugins: the free Anvil preamp (clean channel - Ignite), the free Tube Driver (Nick Crow Lab), and the donationware Doctor Crunch (my favorite Marshall sim).

GreatSatan

I use all the t1 live modern wav's for each speaker,
i scoop a little in the 100-145hz range with an eq.

There's a real nice variety in there; k100, v30 chinese, both scumbacks,
the greenback (i forget its name) & sometimes the alnico blues for the high end.

They are more plug & play than redwirez (which i've used) which i prefer,
with a lot of variety between speaker types using the same preamps (i mostly use Amplitube 3 & a Pod HD bean).

ltkojak

I've recently acquired the Studio Mix 212-GTR BOG-SH MIX.

I exclusively use the G12-65 with Scuffhamamps S-Gear and it became my "standard" money-maker setup.

More I can't tell you.

HTH,

Lele

Bad guy, ltkojak!
Now you want me to buy the 2x12 pack, too...
Cattivo! ;)

By the way, what's your preference among the T1, T2 and SS versions?

Madmax25

I actually have the same question as OP.

I currently use a Logidy EPSi to load a GuitarHack IR called Inch Off Edge. I'm very happy with the results as this seems to be a very versatile IR with a wide range of uses.

So I don't necessarily need the OwnHammer IRs, but I'm kind of curious as to what all the fuss is about.

What do you guys think I should try out? I'm thinking the 412 Modern or Vintage, I'm just not sure which.

I play a lot of Classic Rock, Modern Rock and a little Grunge/Punk. No metal. Also, I can't be bothered to mix IRs and all that, I need something that sounds good "as is".

Lele

Madmax: do you feel like sending a short clip (one minute long or so) of your guitar playing without any IR applied? I can send it back to you after applying some Ownhammer IR samples, so that you can hear what you like. Even better if the clip is from a mix of yours, so you can place again the samples in the same mix to understand what is the best version.
If the IR from GuitarHack is free, as I suppose, you should send it too, so that I can have an idea about the tone you're looking.
You can contact me through this forum, and I'll send you my mail address.

Madmax25

Madmax: do you feel like sending a short clip (one minute long or so) of your guitar playing without any IR applied? I can send it back to you after applying some Ownhammer IR samples, so that you can hear what you like. Even better if the clip is from a mix of yours, so you can place again the samples in the same mix to understand what is the best version.
If the IR from GuitarHack is free, as I suppose, you should send it too, so that I can have an idea about the tone you're looking.
You can contact me through this forum, and I'll send you my mail address.
Thank you for that very kind offer! However, I don't really have any interface to record with, plus all the gear I actively play is at the rehearsal space, so that isn't really an option for me.

I was just hoping someone with similar music style og experience could give me a hint.

I think I'll try out the free OwnHammer IR's to start with, see where that leads me...

Lele

The free ownhammer files, if I understand well, are from a previous session of IR captures.
And I did not like them very much, or better I needed some heavy eq filtering (low and high pass filtering).
The current versions are maybe more detailed (or they say so...), and mostly are already a kind of mixed version that is ready for use as they are.

PS: by the way what preamp do you use with the Logidy pedal?

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I actually have the same question as OP.

I currently use a Logidy EPSi to load a GuitarHack IR called Inch Off Edge. I'm very happy with the results as this seems to be a very versatile IR with a wide range of uses.

So I don't necessarily need the OwnHammer IRs, but I'm kind of curious as to what all the fuss is about.

What do you guys think I should try out? I'm thinking the 412 Modern or Vintage, I'm just not sure which.

I play a lot of Classic Rock, Modern Rock and a little Grunge/Punk. No metal. Also, I can't be bothered to mix IRs and all that, I need something that sounds good "as is".
I bought the vintage 4x12 and 2x12 Ownhammer packs. I haven't had the opportunity to run though everything but that Inch off Edge Guitarhack holds its own against most the Ownhammer stuff I've tried so far. That ones really a gem. The Ownhammer comes with some premixed multi-mic stuff which works very well, Redwirez in comparison needs some additional work to get the best results. I use them with the EPSi as well, good stuff.

Lele

Ok, I got the 2x12 Vintage too, and the G65-OR is lovely, and very very middy (specially around 500-1000 Hz)!
Unfortunately now I'm out for work, and I can use only the headphones. So I'll make some more tests with real monitors only in the next week.

I also tried the Inch Off Edge of Guitar Hack, and - with headphone - I feel that it is very far from what I like. It is very mid scooped and with a lot of bass and high freqs.
Comparing it with my favorite mix, I see something like these main differences in the eq curve:
100 Hz +9 dB
600 Hz -6 dB
1.5-7.8 kHz +7 dB
So a kind of smiling face, versus my "sad" eq face.
Not to mention the differences with the favorite IR of ltkojak. The above eq differences would be maybe 2x!

Madmax25

Ah, thank you for that description. Given that, I'll definitely be checking them out. Probably the vintage 4x12 pack. Given the low price, I'm figuring "why not"?

Thanks for the advice/sharing of experiences.

ltkojak

Ok, I got the 2x12 Vintage too, and the G65-OR is lovely, and very very middy (specially around 500-1000 Hz)!
Unfortunately now I'm out for work, and I can use only the headphones. So I'll make some more tests with real monitors only in the next week.

I also tried the Inch Off Edge of Guitar Hack, and - with headphone - I feel that it is very far from what I like. It is very mid scooped and with a lot of bass and high freqs.
Comparing it with my favorite mix, I see something like these main differences in the eq curve:
100 Hz +9 dB
600 Hz -6 dB
1.5-7.8 kHz +7 dB
So a kind of smiling face, versus my "sad" eq face.
Not to mention the differences with the favorite IR of ltkojak. The above eq differences would be maybe 2x!
Lele, what modeler and IR loader are you using?

Believe it or not, the last project I did was with S-Gear, using the Wayfarer EQ'ed 5-5-5. The guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica 112J with an EMG SA set. The funny thing was, at the time I'd just finished building the guitar, so I took that as a starting point, after not even five minutes of noodling trying to establish a "tone-footprint", the project leader said to me: don't you even think about touching that setting! That's EXACTLY what I've pictured as ground sound to lay the rhythm parts down!

When the project was finished, the studio guy was telling me how little he had to work with the guitars in this project. He even told me about getting S-Gear as a permanent part of his arsenal.

I'm curious about that peak @500-1000Hz of the G12-65. If you care to elaborate, I'm all ears!

Yours very truly,

Lele

Madmax, since I like more "sad" eq curves with a lot of middy freqs, and soft lows and highs, it can be that you will not love the other alternatives. Or anyway, maybe you matched your adjustments of amp and pedals to compensate for that, so that you should re-adjust everything with other IRs. The whole process can be time consuming, and maybe without quick satisfaction. Anyway for sure the Ownhammer IRs are well made and pre-mixed.

Itojak, sorry in the next few days I'll not have any time to check anything.
I use the Voxengo Curve EQ plugin to analyse the different eq curves (with the eq matching function) of waves files.
As IR loader I use the free LeCab2 (of LePou), using just the mono files, and truncated version in the case of Ownhammer IRs. By the way, about the studio modern 2x12 what IR you use? The median? and what version (T1, T2 or SS)?

As modeler, I just use my old Digitech RP500, or - more often now - some VST, mainly the Anvil (of Ignite, clean channel), Doctor Crunch (for Marshall sound), and the overdrive Tube Driver (Nick Crow Lab).
I don't play in a band anymore, and I'm just a modest hobbyist, but I love studying tones and sounds, often more than my poor technique... Ciao!

GM1

OK Im new to IR technology - I have the Two Notes Wall Of Sound but would like to try the OwnHammer collections - how do I load? What IR loader will work with OwnHammer?

Thanks

Trending Topics