Owning more than one type of guitar

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I'm super anal or something, but right now I just DON'T feel like owning 2 Tele style guitars, even though I like Tele's more than strats... is that weird? Yesterday I had 3 Tele's in house - well, a traditional config (now in the shop being worked on), a G&L Bluesboy (humbucker in the neck) and my James Burton Tele which is really a hard tail strat in Tele's clothing (I guess). Like I said, the traditional is on the bench (someone else's Thank God) and the JB is gone... Something inside of me is going to force me to sell either the Bluesboy or the traditional config when it comes home. I guess I feel the need to have a Tele, strat and "something else" at all times. That "something" I'm leaning towards is a Reverend with Revtrons right now. I guess I've come full circle from wanting a bunch of different guitars and amps, to wanting a small collection of gear that covers all of the bases.
Weird...
:RoCkIn

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I don't have any guitars that duplicate anymore. I did, at one time, have two LP style guitars (one of which was a really great 88 LP Standard), I had two nearly identical strats, two very similar Heritages.

Not anymore. I have one LP style guitar (PRS), one strat, one cheap tele I don't even list in my signature, one semi-hollow, one solid-body acoustic. I want them all different. I'm with you.

RDM

I used to diversify. Now I'm down to 2 guitars, both are HSH style. I'm thinking of doing some coil tapping to get some different tones, but the pups that are in my Rev are really different than the pups in my Ibanez....so it's not like I have 2 identical sounding guitars.

Aj_rocker

I hear you, im the same. I would rather get one of each type first then look for different one within the family of the ones i have already.

AJ

guitarfish

I have two Strats, one maple, one rosewood. One is a Texas Special. I keep the TS tuned down a half step, and use it for SRV stuff. So it's kinda like two different guits.

JUSTJOB

For me I have to have two Strats, one to play and one for backup just in case. But I also keep a Les Paul Faded DC and a Jackson Dinky around as well.

digthosetubes

Have two Nocasters here. And also two Strats. The Strats are quite different. The Nocasters are more similar. But even the Nocasters are quite different in their similarity.

In so many ways, less is more. You can make a great case for this. It's easy to become a prisoner of your possessions. For one thing.

It's fun for me right now to have a lot of guitars. For a long time, I only had one.

Maybe someday I will have to have none. Never know. Right now, I am grateful to be able to compare and contrast my "holdings." It's just a hobby.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Strat, a Tele, a Les Paul, an ES-135, a PRS Soapbar, and a Danelectro U2.

For amps I have a tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone, a Vibrolux Reverb, a Mesa/Boogie 5:50 combo and a Gibson GA-5 on the way.

I like diversity in my equipment.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I like diversity, not only in body types, but in pickups. Too many interesting variations to try to worry about doubling up on any one thing.

PFCG

I have two Parker Flys

the body styles are the same and they both have mahogany necks, but they have different body woods, and different electronics.

One is a half step down and really modified, the other is from the custom shop and is pretty basic. Both sound really good although one is for shred and one is all around a winner.

If you like something why not? Is good to have a backup on stage.

If i had the choice, id have like all parker flys with different wood and electronic combos. And if they ever make a 7 ill just get three of those and never buy a guitar again.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
The only 2 of the same I have are 2 strats. But they are different enough that most would argue that they are different guitars. I have a Ric 330 and 360 which many would see as filling the same niche, but I've played both extensively, and they aren't all that similar sounding or playing.

phoenix 7

I'm mainly a Les Paul guy (though I love Strats and Tele's too). I need two of them for when my main Lester is in the shop (like right now).

jazzrat

I have been trying to set up a small collection with minimal overlap and I'm just about there.
Eastman 805CE archtop, Texas Telecaster, Parker Fly Classic with factory Duncans. I just sold a great Carvin Bolt and am on the hunt for the right strat. I should be good from there.

coreybox

I find that a 335 does everything fine for me, so it's about the only style I like to keep around.

The Captain

Nope !
I have 3 LP's , each pretty different, and I could easily have more, esp something with a P90 in it. I also want another KH-2 so I can have one in E and one in Eb. I would probably only want one Strat or Tele though.

Oakley

Silver Supporting Member
I have the same kind of feeling - I wish I could decide which Axis to keep - One's a Sport with tremolo, the other's a Super Sport hard tail with piezos. Both have the MM-90 pickups. They do sound very different.

I also have two ES 335-type guitars - an '83 335 and a Vantage 335 copy (which is a great guitar). Now, I'm not likely to sell the 335 and just keep the Vantage. But I like the Vantage as a "working" guitar.

Then I also have a Hamer Monaco, a G&L S-500, an ES 135, a Samnick jazz guitar, and two Samick RL-3s (which are for sale).

If I just kept the ones I keep reaching for, I'd keep the 335, Monaco, Axis Sport (no piezos, no pretty top), and the S-500.

That's it! I'm selling the Axis Super Sport, the ES 135, the Vantage, and all the Samicks.

Well, maybe.... :rolleyes:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom