• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

OX crackling noise

jruano

Been noticing this lately. Anybody getting a weird "crackling" noise from the unit?

Quick clip quickly strumming a chord using the 6 rigs on the knob. More obvious on some, but plenty noticeable:

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
When I had the Ox, I was getting this crackle with the Apogee One interface. Someone posted a remedy for that particular situation, but I can't seem to find it now. You're not alone with this though

jruano

The more I dig into it the more frequent it seems. No fix for me for the time being

nicolasrivera

Been noticing this lately. Anybody getting a weird "crackling" noise from the unit?

Quick clip quickly strumming a chord using the 6 rigs on the knob. More obvious on some, but plenty noticeable:

This sure has nothing to do with crossover distortion digital or analog.

Javier, esto te pasa aun con el ampli en volumen bajito?

jruano

This sure has nothing to do with crossover distortion digital or analog.

Javier, esto te pasa aun con el ampli en volumen bajito?
Yes, as a reference since I took the OX back to factory defaults, it happens with the default assigned 6 rigs to different extents, with the volume of an 18w amp as low as 2 on the dial.

nicolasrivera

Yes, as a reference since I took the OX back to factory defaults, it happens with the default assigned 6 rigs to different extents, with the volume of an 18w amp as low as 2 on the dial.
Ok, this has to be on a hardware level and not software. Could be a bad batch of analog to digital converters.

Serial numbers should be notices on all units thats have been identify with this problem.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
You've got to figure that most of their complaints are in fact user error from people that don't know what they are doing and can't clearly explain the issue.
But I've been using UA stuff for a very long time. I think they will take care of it if you make them understand there is actually a problem.

jruano

If its not the amp its definitely the OX! UAD should take your unit back and if it can't be fixed they should send you a new unit. For the price they sell this units no questions ask. Whats their final verdict, any news from CS?
At this point in time no further news after instructing me to reset the unit.

jruano

You've got to figure that most of their complaints are in fact user error from people that don't know what they are doing and can't clearly explain the issue.
But I've been using UA stuff for a very long time. I think they will take care of it if you make them understand there is actually a problem.
I expect they will, it’s been explained in detail and with examples. One always hopes for a quick resolution of course, specially when it comes to premium gear such as this

MaxTwang

Are you using the OX's digital out into an audio interface set to a sample rate other than 44.1k?

jruano

Are you using the OX's digital out into an audio interface set to a sample rate other than 44.1k?
I'm not. The clip above was recorded using the L/R outputs of the OX directly into a Focusrite iTrack. Same exact noise appears on the headphone outputs.

yeky83

Wondering, do you have another amp you could check with to make sure it's not the amp?

DaveNJ

Gold Supporting Member
So, this may be somewhat related, but I used to use a reactive load and my old 67 Princeton Reverb. I found that when I ran the treble high - say, over 6.5 or 7, I would get that same kind of crackle you’re hearing. I didn’t hear the crackle in the room, but lowering it cleaned up the recording considerably.

Maybe try with a lower treble setting?

jruano

So, this may be somewhat related, but I used to use a reactive load and my old 67 Princeton Reverb. I found that when I ran the treble high - say, over 6.5 or 7, I would get that same kind of crackle you’re hearing. I didn’t hear the crackle in the room, but lowering it cleaned up the recording considerably.

Maybe try with a lower treble setting?
Not a huge difference. It may seem a bit less obvious, but strum a G chord and let it ring and it's there

jruano

From the user manual:

“The INPUT LEVEL switch sets the level from the tube amp (after OX’s reactive load) into OX’s processors. The switch helps match the power output of the tube amp with optimum levels for Dynamic Speaker Modeling.
As a general guideline when modifying Rigs, this switch should be “set-and-forget” to the following values:
• If the tube amp outputs 50 Watts or less, set INPUT LEVEL to 50W.
• If the tube amp outputs more than 50 Watts, set INPUT LEVEL to 100W.
This general guideline does not mean you need to be concerned about levels being set correctly, or that you need change this switch in factory Rigs to match your amp, or that input levels are too low or too high.
Even if INPUT LEVEL is set to 50W with a 100-watt amp, or set to 100W with 5-watt amp, you never need to worry. OX is designed to ensure input levels are never wrong.”

MaxTwang

I just ran a Boogie MKIIB Simul-Class into the OX (not as clean as the 60/100 MKIIB).

I tested with the OX's speaker/mic sim into headphones as well as just the OX's 'direct' into a Helix for IRs into Beyer DT-880 headphones. I also ran the Boogie into a Suhr RL for comparison. I tested with the master up to 4 using 1) the OX as a load, 2) the RL as the load, 3) the RL as a DI and the RL's Thru into the OX (OX served as the load with OX and RL as DI), 4) OX & RL into speaker outs on the Boogie. Both the OX DI and RL DI were sent to Helix return's with a Celestion Creamback IR in the Helix.

At higher master settings the power amp distortion through the OX and RL was comparable, at lower master settings (still damn loud through an EL12L) both the OX and RL were comparably clean.

I pulled out the Fryette PS-2 and will give that a run Weds or Thurs with the Helix for a clean preamp and IRs, the PS-2 should be a better clean platform than the Simul-Class.

Last edited:

Trending Topics