• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ox Vibe, Black Cat Vibe or MJM Mini Sixties Vibe? Talk me into buying one...

I have an original Shin-Ei Univibe at home which I like very much, but I want a smaller pedal for my gigging board.

I know the new Drybell Vibe Machine is the current flavor of the month and I think it sounds amazing, but I've narrowed it down to:

Ox Vibe
MJM mini Sixties Vibe, or
Black Cat Vibe (the new pedal version)

I would really, really appreciate anyone who owns one of these to offer any input on which one I should get and why.

I'm only soliciting comments regarding the above 3 vibe pedals so please, no
advice on why I should buy a Castledine, Fulltone, Drybell etc...

Thanks a lot for your input!

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Oxvibe seems really cool. The 60's vibe I tried was very subtle and the Black Cat vibe it had was rather noisy (not sure why) it had a different sweep. I've been very happy with my Megavibe small box --- but out of the three, I'd pick the Oxvibe. Ken's got killer ears.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Never played either one mentioned, but liked what I heard on OxVibe, but didn't want to deal with possible issues buying from Canada, etc, so I took a gamble when Prymaxe had 20% off and picked up Mojo Vibe, this purple box delivers, very happy with thick/rich Strat tones I get, much like demo I heard of Oxvibe with Strat.

Curious as to why . . . Have you already tried these ones and now want to try some others?
Yeah, thats exactly it. I guess I should have added a Jam Pedals Retro Vibe to the list of contenders. All the clips I've seen online were pretty darn authentic.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

OxFuzz OxVibe or Jam Pedals Retro Vibe

Both seem to really like a fuzz before them and not sound to thinned out and nasally with the fuzz first.

Thanks for the opinions.

Anyone who has any input on Oxvibe VS. Retrovibe, please let me know...

I've had a MJM, Fulltone, Rotovibe, Aquavibe and Mojo. MJM and Mojo were neck and neck for the sweetest swirl with the MJM maybe winning by a NOSE.

That said, it also sucked the most lows when on. It bugged me but doesn't bug some people. As a result I moved to the Mojo and stayed there until I just didn't need it on my board anymore.

So of those I only have experience with the MJM. Sweet swirl.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my old mjm 60's mini vs. the real deal. Sorry, haven't own or tried any of the other pedals mentioned.

Here's my old mjm 60's mini vs. the real deal. Sorry, haven't own or tried any of the other pedals mentioned.

Thanks for the further input gentlemen...

Fuzzface71, that clip does sound really good. I like that you A/B'd it with your Shin-Ei, but it looks like that may have been some kind of early, one-off prototype of the MJM mini...just wondering if the new production models sound as good?

The MJM seems to get a lot of love here.

Important question:

Does anyone who has had experience with the MJM (especially the mini version) report hearing any volume or bass loss when its on?
Would any of you describe the MJM mini as brighter or darker sounding?...or maybe just right?

Thanks again. I really appreciate everyones advice. I need to make a purchase this coming week so I'm really trying to make a decision.
Thanks to all!

Fuzzface71, that clip does sound really good. I like that you A/B'd it with your Shin-Ei, but it looks like that may have been some kind of early, one-off prototype of the MJM mini...just wondering if the new production models sound as good?

Important question:

Does anyone who has had experience with the MJM (especially the mini version) report hearing any volume or bass loss when its on?
Would any of you describe the MJM mini as brighter or darker sounding?...or maybe just right?

Thanks again. I really appreciate everyones advice. I need to make a purchase this coming week so I'm really trying to make a decision.
Thanks to all!
As previously described, in my experience the MJM has a bit of a low end cut. You may perceive it as a mid bump. The one I had about 3 years ago I had to keep the volume maxed for unity gain. I have read this has since been adjusted on newer builds, but I have not played a newer model to confirm.

On the contrary, the Fulltone retains bottom end really well. One might refer to it as "warm" even. That said, it may not cut as well either.

LJD

The Oxvibe and the MJM sound more authentic to my ears than the Black Cat, which sounds more like a phaser. I'd save up for the Drybell, I dig the option for an expression pedal (and the tone of course).

FF71

Silver Supporting Member

I!
Hi, yes my old black one is one of the few that Michael custom made in smaller casing around 10 years ago, but I now have the "newer mini" (I sold that old black one) To be honest, that's all boloney, they sound identical the newer and older versions.

Heres my newer mini versus the KR Vibe.

Steve73

Yeah, I have owned the large box and now the mini and they sound the same. I could be mistaken but the volume on univibes is supposed to be unity gain when the volume is full up. You can control how loud the effect is with the Intensity knob. I would say it is a darker vibe, but most of the more authentic ones are. It does sit great in a band mix.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, unity gain the Sixties Vibe is a total clone of the original sans the expression pedal.

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
One more vote for MJM. I have the big box, but it's been on my board since the day I got it. Never noticed a bass cut, but maybe playing a Les Paul most of the time offsets that. Unity on mine is at about 9oclock.

Very lush and when you crank that depth up you can feel the warble. Mindblowingly great sounding, IMO. The first time I kicked it on, it was that sound.

I use it quite a bit, for most of my modulation needs. Like to dial the pedal volume back and kick it on for clean sections in lieu of a volume pedal.

JasonD

I haven't played any of these in person. From listening to online demos of the OX and the MJM, I like the MJM.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom