OX4 is making amazing PAF style humbuckers!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by straightblues, Mar 9, 2015.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I just got a set of OX4 pickups for my Rist Showhorse. They are a low wind set, (6.9 neck and 7.5 bridge). This guitar was built by Roman Rist and it has always had a really great unplugged tone. But the electric tone was not translating. I have been through a few sets of pickups (from some of the big name winders here) trying to get something that really worked for me. Since I have bought several sets of humbuckers and been disappointed (maybe disappointed is to great of a word, so lets use not thrilled. None were bad, just not thrilling), I was not expecting much from the OX4 even though I really liked the clips. I have been fooled by clips before. But Roman Rist was really talking these up so I decided to give them a shot. I am so glad I did. Everything I have been looking for and hoping to find can be found within these pickups. They sound great clean and dirty. They simply capture the tone and feel of real PAF pickups. This is the first set of new humbuckers that I have owned that capture that. I don't know what Mr. Stow is doing, but he is doing it.

I had a similar experience when I tried Don Mare single coil pickups for the first time. Suddenly I discovered a new pickup that truly captured the feel and tone of the old pickups on the records. Since it was possible in single coil pickups, I thought it would be possible in humbuckers. That logic sent me on a six year quest and trying at least 20 different winds. Like I said above, many of the pickups were very good, but none capturef the full tone and feel like the OX4's. So for me, I am relieved to say my humbucker journey has come to a very happy end with OX4 pickups.

Here is my Rist Showhorse (pictured with another winders pickups in it.)

[​IMG]

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on finding your tone.

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

I'm so relived. It has been a long journey. I popped these in and it was instantly there. :phones:rockin

4. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I'd love to check out the SH with the OX4s, as well as the new one. Glad it worked out!

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I recently put some OX4's in my R9. Fantastic pickups. Excellent clarity for a humbucker.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

Yes, we should get together and do it.

7. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

I have OX4s in my CC#7 Shanks...hated the Custombuckers. LOVE the OX4s.

8. FreeBlues

FreeBlues Silver Supporting Member

I've recently been on the hunt for "the" paf-style humbucker. I'm really liking ThroBak SLE-101's, and have been VERY interested in the sets from Wizz. Did you try either of these and, if so, have any comparisons your could make?

Also, how does one order OX4's, should one want to?

9. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

10. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Had Tom B install the OX4s in this.

[​IMG]

Great sounding, articulate like the Throbaks in my JG Bluesmaster Semi, but richer and more musical with a hair more drive. I love them; I own 7 vintage Gibsons with original PAFs from 1957 (2), 1958 (1), 1959 (3), and 1961 (1). The OX4s are as "good" as any of them.

Prior to receiving the Retrospec from Tom, I asked him how the OX4s sounded. Tom said, "if you don't care for them, I'll take them back and install Sheptones or Throbaks, whatever you want...these are the some of the best sounding pickups I have ever played and I'd be happy to own them".

11. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I've heard great things about them too! Congrats you guys.

12. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

awesome!
    heard great things about them.
    hoping to get a set locally from a friend for installation in cc#18.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

In my 2009 R8...was thinking about getting a set of Holmes which I had a great experience with in my last R8 but then I decided I wanted something new and different...when a bud brought a set of these over I knew that I had found my next set of pickups...

Amazing clarity is right on the money...these are the best hums I have had/tried to date...

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  14. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have the same set of Throbaks as you in another guitar. Haven't tried the Wizz yet, but TDarian has a set and I am going to get together with him to compare them to the OX4's.

I didn't list the pickup I have had above because I don't want to disrespect any winder or harm their business. Other folks are very happy with many of the humbuckers that didn't work for me. I have heard clips of them that were good enough for me to order them. So I know they can sound good. But the OX4's, have not only the tone, but the feel, and dare I say mojo that the others don't. As always, your opinions may vary! I will say, the set of pickups I pulled out of this guitar cost in excess of $600 and took 9 months to receive after I had paid for them. The OX4's cost much less and were received from half way around the world in less than 3 weeks.

15. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I really liked the demos that Darren Glover did with the OX4 equipped Bartletts into the Tex amps.

16. SMT

SMT Member

I cannot say enough praise for these HB's ! - lol-beware, these are spendy....

Have had mine OX4 set almost a year now...incredible pups.
    The NECK, in particular, is phenominal, THICK, clear, warm, articulate- he knows the secret it seems...
    The bridge, is so nice and crisp, gritty, and sustaining...whoa, lead screams from heaven, Im not shitn u.

I ordered the standard nickel set and asked if he'd "age'd" them for me...I can pull all kinds led zep tones outta these, but really the'yre so much more 'clearer' they all my other HB's sets, well worth the investment for me. OX4's and 50's wiring transformed the tone on my #1

[​IMG]

They went in my '12 standard Les Paul on the right...(this photo was before I installed them)
    The seymour duncan customs in my SG cant hold a candle to the OX4's.
    [​IMG]

Nicely done on the "age'ing", although my other hardware still looks new tho...argh (bridge, tailpiece) I need to age those now they dont match
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Why I went for them in my Retrospec!

SMT - with you on their tonal qualities.

18. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

You can also order direct from Mark. Just send him a message through his website and he'll reply promptly. http://ox4pickups.co.uk

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

Here is a tiny clip of SoloDallas (certified AC/DC Nut solodallas.com ) playing my Rist Showhorse through a Marshall with a Schafer replica box. This was filmed at the Pedal Expo in LA last weekend with just my Iphone. But it still gives you an pretty good idea of the tone coming out of the rig. There was a 53 to 59 Gibson Les Paul conversion in the room with real PAF's. Let's just say the Showhorse with the OX4's held its own. Sorry I didn't get any video of the conversion for comparison. (Click on the picture to play the clip)

[​IMG]

20. Faded

Faded Member

I have a set of OX4 Ed Kings in my R9. Better than the Throbaks in my R5. Very articulate and when overdriven they have almost a saxophone reed like airyness to them.