Ozzy Remastered cd's = WTF?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by V-Type, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Trujillo is a monster bass player and have listened to him since Suicidal and Infectious Grooves so no bashing from me.:)

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

And Mike Bordin is pretty badass- Faith No More and Jerry Cantrell...

3. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Those guys are both great at what they do, but what they TRIED to do on those reissues was play like the originals at which which they fell a little short. I think if they thought it was OK to take the paychecks and try and erase some great performances on legendary (to some) albums while helping to screw over fellow musicians, then it should be OK for us to say we like the originals better. It's more bashing Sharon (deservedly so) than anything, and she's not a musician. Just saying...

4. Devnor

Devnor Member

The Living Loud versions of those tunes with Lee, Kerslake & Airey with Steve Morse and some aussie dude are pretty good.

5. V-Type

V-Type Member

Trujillo,Borden and Zakk are all proven monsters imo.
    But in this case they should shoulder a bit of the Sharon/Ozzy flames.
    They should have told Ozzy No Way too replacing above the norm classic parts with their own No matter how flattering it seemed at the time.
    And honestly their contributions in this thread arent something they should even de note in their resume's imo.
    Im more pissed I was duped into buying a misrepresent item more than anything.
    :tapedshut

6. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Nah, I can't blame them, they were hired to do studio work, nothing more, they probably had very little idea exactly what they were being asked to track and for what reason. Peeps gotta eat. I do blame the Osbournes for letting those remixes out there and not even informing their fans these were newly recorded rhythm parts.

7. JTM100

JTM100 Member

I have several cd´s with Gus on them so I was already very familiar with him when he joined Ozzy. He is a great solid heavy metal player but nothing you havent really heard before. He just does it really well. Scream is far from being Ozzy´s masterpiece but I have to say that I like it alot better than Down To Earth and Black Rain. Sobriety seems to have affected Zakk in a very positive way. The latest BLS record is easily my favorite of all of them. He really lights a fire under it. I have always been a fan of Zakk. Does Ozzy need to get him back....I dont know...eventhough the odds of it are next to nothing....I would like to see Ozzy find another Randy Rhoads. By that I dont mean a Randy Rhoads clone or even sombody who sounds like Randy. But, rather another very special and orginal talent like Randy was.

8. JTM100

JTM100 Member

Yes, I dont think that anyone is knocking the talents of Trujillio and Borden. They are both great players. I think Trujillio works great in Metallica. But, when you go and replace performances on 2 epic recordings that the metal genre would not be the same without, there is going to be a backlash!! Should they have said "NO"...well the way I understand how Sharon runs things is if you want to keep your job, when she says jump...you say how high.

9. blood5150

blood5150 Member

10. acguitar84

acguitar84 Member

I'm glad i have the old CD's. (of diary and blizzard)

11. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

A guy on a guitar forum actually sent me the original versions (he had multiple copies apparently) when I found out about this and made some displeased sounds on another
    guitar forum somewhere. Thanks! :aok

I've seen the originals in the used bins at Cheapo's, a used CD store locally. They are still out there, you just have to look.

You will probably see this more as time goes on unfortunately. When monetary disputes occur and calls for royalties occur you might see it.

So if you like the stuff, buy it and keep that CD!

12. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

so they replaced jake e. lee's guitar parts as well? who played on it?

but you guys should hold on to these remastered series. knowing sharon, she might reissue these later as the BUTCHERED series and make some more money

13. V-Type

V-Type Member

Well I just transfered my vg condition vinyl copies too my own cds and in a higher bit rate.
    They sound really good and Yes original.
    Pooh on these misrepresented discs.
    I think Holmes also took part but Im not sure.
    Occasionally I hear a strange sounding Ozzy song on radio or dj'd and now I know why.

14. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

This BS from sharon deserves a :peenut

15. JTM100

JTM100 Member

I havent heard that version of BATM so I am not sure what was done to it. Somebody earlier in the thread had said that it sounded to them like it was altered too. Bob Daisley played bass on BATM so they may have re-recorded the bass parts. Not sure on that one though.

16. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

In addition, they EQ'd the f##k out of Randy's guitars and added FX. Many will say they needed it but I don't agree. The guitars on Crazy Train now sound like a mushy POD Line 6 version. When I hear that song on the radio now I turn it off, It's unlistenable.

Back to the thread, the old drummer Kerslake sued and his case was dismissed. That's my understanding. That's so unfair.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  17. shg

shg Senior Member

They're employees and they turn up when they're told to turn up at the place where they're told to go and they play what they're told to play. Nothing personal in it.

18. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I don't think anyone holds anything personal against Bordin and Trujillo. Now $haron on the other hand...
    By the way, the documentary (or at least part of it) that comes with the over priced box set is going to be on VH1 classic tomorrow (Saturday) night.

19. dwes

dwes Member

I deeply disagree with the "holding back" of Randy's playing from Randy's fans for three decades in the name of $.

I purchased so many tapes and vinyl bootlegs back in the day...many much sicker than "Tribute." I ordered the set in hopes of finding an undiscovered, to me, Randy fill, riff, etc. Another glimpse into a hero's life and playing. The price was nearly meaningless if I could reconnect and understand more of the language by which Randy spoke... so long ago.

What I greatly enjoyed from Sharon's production was the obvious gratitude Ozzy owes Randy. It was not brushed over. As a guitar player and fully inspired by RR from before his death, I found the R.M.E. altro as well as the "Diary" and "Goodbye to Romance" isolated acoustic tracks wonderful. They are there on the originals - just always hoped for more separation from the other tracks.

I would love to sit in a room and listen to everything that Randy had going on. For months...

30 years later and still rockin'!

20. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member