P-90 covers don't fit P-90's. What the...???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bowlingballbaby, May 15, 2006.

1. bowlingballbaby

bowlingballbaby Member

I bought a great circa 2001 Gibson Les Paul Special Historic series re-issue from a Gear Page member here about 6 months ago. I gig full-time, so I wanted to put a set of pickups in the guitar that had one RWRP pickup. I love P-90's, but in the real world, having that one hum cancelling position saves my butt at least once a week.

So I bought some Fralins. They sound great, but the pickup covers don't fit in the guitar. The corners of the Gibson pickup covers are just ever so slightly more rounded than the Fralins. The Fralins are a tiny bit square on the edges and don't fit in the pickup cavity! Not only do the Fralin pickup covers not fit in the guitar, but the the Gibson pickups don't fit in the Fralin pickup covers. Nothing fits! Weird.

I called Lindy Fralin. He gets his covers from All-Parts, as does just about everyone else. He says in 8 years of making P-90's this is the first time he's heard of this. And trying to get in touch with Gibson directly to even ask a question is impossible. I don't want to order a set of pickup covers from my local dealer, 'cause that's a special order, and I'll have to pay for them even if they don't fit, too.

Any thoughts on this weirdness? Does anyone have a set of spare Gibson re-issue P-90 covers?

Help?

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

The same exact problem has come up before believe it or not.

There have been issues with covers fitting for Stephens Design P90's as well as Rio Grande P90's.

3. ES350

ES350 Member

Gibson uses a flat baseplate these days with rounded corners. Older P90's have nearly square corners on the baseplate---and they don't fit very well in RI or Historics either.

4. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

yeah, had similar problem here. someone hooked me up with some black covers from allparts.

they didn't fit the stock duncans in my PRS. the screw holes were a bit off. SD offered to sell me covers direct. I decided to go the more expensive route and get new pickups with black covers :)

5. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I had the same problem with my R6 Goldtop. I bought vintage vibes which I later found out wouldn't fit, so the only pickup I could find at the local store was a Duncan Antiquity, which sounds awesome, but then the Gibson cover wouldn't fit, so now I have 3 different colors of plastic on my guitar. Oh well, at least it sounds kick ass.