P-90 for tele neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6ringing, Dec 4, 2005.

1. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Hey all,
    I've been trying to hone in on the perfect neck PU for my home-made tele. I don't like the regular tele neck PUs, I don't want to go HBer, and I love p-90s, so I'm thinking that might be slightly totally killer.
    But, I see very few teles with a p-90...
    What do you all think? Is there something I'm missing here?

2. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

I have a pair of Fralin P-90's in a '72 Tele Deluxe RI:

[​IMG]

They sound great! I'd recommend it. Fender has recently figured this out... see the Squire Custom Tele soapbar and the new Aerodyne Tele with a soapbar in the neck.

I'm a Fralin fanatic, so that's what I'd recommend, but there are countless others out there. GL.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Just did it myself on an AD Tele. Put a PF Voodoo P-90 in the neck, have a SD Jerry Donohue (Tele-tyle pup) in the bridge. Go to Indoor Storm's website...you can hear their sound clip of a Suhr Tele that came in that configuration. Sounds incredible. IMO, it's the optimal mix. By all means, do it!

4. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Alright! Thanks for the sound clip info and advice. I think I'll go for it. I was just wondering why you don't see it much. But it sounds like no tonal reason anyway. I have a pair or Fralin HBs in my les paul that I LOVE. I might go with his P-90. Or I might try to score a '50s gibson.

Cool! Now I gotta get Stew-mac's p-90 routing pattern and warm up the dremel.

Thanks guys, love this place! :dude

5. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Oh, one more question. Does the string spacing work out ok? I have a strat PU in there now and it doesn't quite line up.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Mine does, but I have a (replacement) Callaham 3-barrel bridge installed. It replaced a modern 6-saddle bridge...the vintage style barrels definitely added a bit more sustain and character. But If you call the mfg. of the P-90 of your choice, I'm certain they could recommend an ideal fit for you. Fralin, Florance, et. al., in my experience, all will take the time with you to assure an optimal result. Post your results when finished. AC

7. Tinman

Tinman Member

I have a Tele with 3 fralin P90s, and its my favorite guitar out of a collection of 15. I originally had a stock Fralin in the neck, then I decided to try a Fralin alnico pole piece P90 in the neck and middle positions. Fantastic. If the pole pieces don't line up like you want them to, just tilt the pickup. I'm assuming you have to reroute the body and the pickguard anyway.

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

I put a Fralin P-92 in the neck of my Tele and I absolutely love it! No mud, just great tone. It's worth a look!

9. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Great. I'll report back. This won't be til after Christmas though.