• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

P-90 guitar advice.....

nsriley

I have P-90 guitar GAS and am looking to spend anywhere from $500-$850 on one. Here is what I am curious about....but not all are in stores near me...so I most likely would be ordering online...

Gibson Les Paul Jr. - $649
Gibson SG Classic - $850
Godin LG-P90 - $599
PRS Soapbar II - $499

So any opinions on these or other suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nate

onemind

If you can find a used Music Man Axis or Axis Sport with p90s that would be my strong recommendation, I have two, and they are among my favorite guitars.

Steve

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Since you are ordering online, I would say skip the Gibsons. At that price point, quality control is suspect from this company. I would only buy a Gibson if I could try it our first thoroughly.

The Godin LG with P90s, now there is a fine guitar at a bargain price. Bang for your buck maximized. I think that's what my next guitar will be. However, I don't think Godin sells through mail order/online.

nsriley

Originally posted by cvansickle
Since you are ordering online, I would say skip the Gibsons. At that price point, quality control is suspect from this company. I would only buy a Gibson if I could try it our first thoroughly.

The Godin LG with P90s, now there is a fine guitar at a bargain price. Bang for your buck maximized. I think that's what my next guitar will be. However, I don't think Godin sells through mail order/online.
I am agreeing there. Actually MF sells them and had them in stock! :D I am real close to pulling the trigger.......

-Peace
-Nate

H

hemlock

Reverend Slingshot is an excellent guitar. A little different P90 sound, too.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I forgot about the Reverend Slingshot! I played one of these at the Dallas Guitar Show and was really impressed. Just not crazy about the cosmetics....

H

hemlock

Originally posted by cvansickle
I forgot about the Reverend Slingshot! I played one of these at the Dallas Guitar Show and was really impressed. Just not crazy about the cosmetics....
Even with the sandblasted palm tree??

Actually, the only thing I didn't like aboout mine at first was no arm contour. I've gotten used to that, though. Now, I'm starting to think about another Rev or two.

bluedean

Gold Supporting Member
I just got a Gibson SG Classic from MF. It is absolutely gorgeous (wood/stain plus neck binding) and very resonant.

Reeek

Agile AL-3000 or AL-3500 with the alnico V P90 soapbars ;) The $369.95 you spend on an AL-3000 is a super bargain!

JES1680

Silver Supporting Member
+1 for Hamer. The artist Korina with P90's is a wonderfull guitar.
You needn't worry abut buying one sight unplayed as Hamers are much more consistant than Gibson.

F

frank52

been using p-90 guitars for over 30 years. the best are gibson les paul jr. the les paul special. 56 goldtop. hammer special. i am a die-hard gibson man and i don't see any new guitars with p-90s that are as good as the gibsons. the new jrs and their cousins are a bargin. there is no substitute for the real thing. i have had enough of the gibson bashing. admit it guys they are still the best. i will say that for 229 bucks the agile is a serious contender in the current p-90 game.

nsriley

Thanks for all the advice! I actually just did a trade deal with a fellow forumite for a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Special DC in cherry red! Has SD Antiquities plus the original pups in case and 336 witch hat knobs and the originals thrown in! I am psyched! :D

-Peace
-Nate