P-90 guitar advice.....

nsriley

I have P-90 guitar GAS and am looking to spend anywhere from $500-$850 on one. Here is what I am curious about....but not all are in stores near me...so I most likely would be ordering online...

Gibson Les Paul Jr. - $649
Gibson SG Classic - $850
Godin LG-P90 - $599
PRS Soapbar II - $499

So any opinions on these or other suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nate

onemind

If you can find a used Music Man Axis or Axis Sport with p90s that would be my strong recommendation, I have two, and they are among my favorite guitars.

Steve

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Since you are ordering online, I would say skip the Gibsons. At that price point, quality control is suspect from this company. I would only buy a Gibson if I could try it our first thoroughly.

The Godin LG with P90s, now there is a fine guitar at a bargain price. Bang for your buck maximized. I think that's what my next guitar will be. However, I don't think Godin sells through mail order/online.

nsriley

Originally posted by cvansickle
Since you are ordering online, I would say skip the Gibsons. At that price point, quality control is suspect from this company. I would only buy a Gibson if I could try it our first thoroughly.

The Godin LG with P90s, now there is a fine guitar at a bargain price. Bang for your buck maximized. I think that's what my next guitar will be. However, I don't think Godin sells through mail order/online.

I am agreeing there. Actually MF sells them and had them in stock! :D I am real close to pulling the trigger.......

-Peace
-Nate

H

hemlock

Reverend Slingshot is an excellent guitar. A little different P90 sound, too.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I forgot about the Reverend Slingshot! I played one of these at the Dallas Guitar Show and was really impressed. Just not crazy about the cosmetics....

H

hemlock

Originally posted by cvansickle
I forgot about the Reverend Slingshot! I played one of these at the Dallas Guitar Show and was really impressed. Just not crazy about the cosmetics....

Even with the sandblasted palm tree??

Actually, the only thing I didn't like aboout mine at first was no arm contour. I've gotten used to that, though. Now, I'm starting to think about another Rev or two.

bluedean

I just got a Gibson SG Classic from MF. It is absolutely gorgeous (wood/stain plus neck binding) and very resonant.

empty71

Look no further. The ultimate P-90 guitar under $900.

5czwo6

Reeek

Agile AL-3000 or AL-3500 with the alnico V P90 soapbars ;) The $369.95 you spend on an AL-3000 is a super bargain!

JES1680

+1 for Hamer. The artist Korina with P90's is a wonderfull guitar.
You needn't worry abut buying one sight unplayed as Hamers are much more consistant than Gibson.

F

frank52

been using p-90 guitars for over 30 years. the best are gibson les paul jr. the les paul special. 56 goldtop. hammer special. i am a die-hard gibson man and i don't see any new guitars with p-90s that are as good as the gibsons. the new jrs and their cousins are a bargin. there is no substitute for the real thing. i have had enough of the gibson bashing. admit it guys they are still the best. i will say that for 229 bucks the agile is a serious contender in the current p-90 game.

nsriley

Thanks for all the advice! I actually just did a trade deal with a fellow forumite for a 1990 Gibson Les Paul Special DC in cherry red! Has SD Antiquities plus the original pups in case and 336 witch hat knobs and the originals thrown in! I am psyched! :D

-Peace
-Nate

Trending Topics

Top Bottom