P-90 Help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ahellam, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ahellam

ahellam Member

so i just picked me up a gibson r6 les paul and im lovin the sound but I cant help but think, is there more?
    I am thinking of Lollar p-90s with an underwound neck pickup. Any other good choices out there? (i dont want HOT output pickups)

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Curious...what 'more' would you like to achieve? I like those pups on the R-6. They always seemed balanced and toneful to me. Maybe try different strings or messing with the pole heights before swapping out. Very sweet guitars. AC

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have lollars in 3 guitars and love them. I put an underwound set in my Les Paul copy and it was a mistake. They sounded great but I really missed the grind when you turn the volume up to 10. Get Lollars regular set and just use your volume knob. You will be much happier to have that bite at 10 on tap for those time when you need it. And his regular wind cleans up so good when you reduce the volume.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I actually like the R6's I've tried as well. Surprisingly good.

But I dig the Rio Grande's a lot. Hotter than Lollar's and stock, but still have the P90 flavor.

5. ahellam

ahellam Member

cool thanks for the advice... i have a friend with some rio grandes and they just seemed way too hot and muddy.

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

INteresting. I do find the rio's hotter than most P90's, but I haven't found them as muddy. To each their own.

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I found the stock bridge P90 to be a little weak and brittle on my Les Paul Special, but the neck is warm and wooly, just fine. I upgraded to a Duncan SP90-3, their Custom (ceramic) model, and I got the extra output I was missing without losing any P90 tone. Now, combined with the Stellartone ToneStyler pot, this guitar can sing, bark and bite in many timbres.

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

I'm a big Lollar fan too, but there is nothing wrong with the stock P-90's in an R-6. In fact I did a side by side comparison of a stock R-6 with a similar guitar with Lollars and decided to keep the R6 as it was.

9. artandink

artandink Member

Just picked up my R6 with recently installed Lollars last night from my Luthier. So far, I think these are about as good as it gets. Not too hot, yet not thin. There is some nice bite in the bridge pup though and the neck is capable of a 'smokey' quality when you push the amp.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Do the RS kit before you start swapping pups.
    No need to put the cart before the horse.

11. prsflame

prsflame Member

A friend of mine just installed Lollars in his PRS.The Lollars have wonderful bite and growl, and plenty of single note definition. I also like the Rios. More output, but they seem to retain their clarity. My personal fave P90 is the Harmonic Designs. I have these in my Thorn. They have less output than the Rios, but still have plenty of punch and bite when overdriven. I also find these to be less noisy than the Rios.

12. ES350

ES350 Member

The stock R6 pu's are pretty good---esp. the neck pu. I did end up putting a set of real '50s P90s and an original harness in my R6 and they do sound a little clearer and sweeter...not too sure any of the boutique stuff will get you that. I have a LP Special coming next week and will prolly just swap out the bridge pu for a little more push.

13. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I love the neck pu in my R6, gets the tone that I imagined in my head before I ever played that guitar. The bridge on mine does seem a little weak, but I would try adjusting its height first before buying new pickups.

14. baj2k

baj2k Supporting Member

I second that... :BEER

15. wpod

wpod Member

I've swapped out the thin stock pup's for Fralin's and upgraded to matched CTS pots and .022 caps ( from Black Rose Customs ) on my R4 and have found the tone in my head...
    :RoCkIn

16. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Howdy---i have an R6 (love it, of course)---kept the stock P90's after hearing Fralins, Lollars---
    (I have 2 friends with Dillion Goldtop copies, both with Lollars, both play vintage 50's style blues--like myself, often---and both are less than happy with the Lollars than they would like to be--- alittle too sterile to their ears--- I feel the same way about Fralins--)

I did a bit of what others here mentioned--change out the cruddy cap for some NOS, if you can, go for the "50's wiring" pattern, and I went the full early 50's routine and put in 300K pots on the 2 volumes---I also put a push/pull pot on the treble tone (with a 500K pot, I'm pretty sure--) to get that out-of-phase nasal thing going on (and to kill hum in wretched circumstances at gigs)
    Hope that helps--I've yet to be convinced that any new P90 pickup is any better than the Gibby's in those Historics--

ES350---nice i.d. name!---I've been looking (slowly) for a 50's es350 or es175 w/ p90's--preferably in blonde!---Wish me luck:eek:

ac