P-90 - my wish for no hum

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tone Dome, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Tone Dome

Tone Dome Member

I keep hearing rumors that Kinman is about to bring out their noiseless P-90. I'm guessing it must be a difficult pickup to get rid of the hum and keep the tone because no-one else including Gibson themselves has got even a half decent noiseless P-90 after all these years.

I found the P100 to be a total joke, it has this dry sound (meaning no juice). It felt constricted and squezzed and is nowhere near as loud as a real noisy P-90 single coil. The thing about the P-100 is the lack of attack, it's just doesn't have any. Actually it is not a P-90 sound at all, as I said it's just a wimpy joke when compared to a real one. They should rename it P-0T (zero tone). :roll

DiMarzio don’t even have one, well not one that looks or sounds like a P-90, being a mini humbucker in a P-90 jacket. Duncans sounds more or less like the p-100. Fralin and Lollar don't even make hum cancelling at all.

Wouldn't it be nice if kinman can give us a read deal P-90 with all the juice, attack and output of a real one except have no hum. Arrr pure bliss. I wonder how expensive it's going to sell for? Me, Im willing to fork out $180 apiece if it's a good one.

What about you guys?

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

How about Fralin P-92s?

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If it doesn`t hum, it is NOT and never will be a P90.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

gibson's new variation consists of a p-90 with a reduced-winding dummy coil underneath; it reduces a little of the hum, and only kills a little of the tone. it's stock in the billie joe armstrong jr and not available separately (yet).

i haven't heard one yet, but it's given me the idea to wire up a stacked p-90 with a variable coil-cut knob (like the old peavy t-60), so i can theoretically dial in just enough of the bottom coil to make the noise tolerable in a given situation, while hopefully preserving some life in the tone.

p-92s are lovely, but they ain't the same.

5. Tone Dome

Tone Dome Member

Caretaker, not sure what you point is but if it looks like a P-90 and sounds like a P-90 but it doesn't hum I dont care what they call it.

Lindys P-92 doesn't look like or fit into a p-90 slot, it's basically a humbucker with a twist.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the only way i know of to really hear a p-90 with no hum is to play one of john suhr's mahogany teles with 2 p-90s and the internal SSC noise canceling system. it's kind of unnerving to hear that fat yet biting crunch without the massive hum, like having your cake and eating it too.

unfortunately, his retrofit system (almost as good) isn't installable in anything other than tremolo strats.

7. bek

bek Member

Pete Biltoft at VintageVibe is working on this, you might want to talk to him.