P-90 question: 67 SG GOTW content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vendo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. vendo

vendo Member

I just picked up a Gibson SG. Its one of the GOTW series (week 37 67 SG Special) & has P-90s in it. With a distorted amp it sounds great for single notes but gets muddy for chords. Sounds great through a clean amp but again, alot less articulate on chords as well.

Haven't much experience with these pups, so I'm wondering if this is normal for them or do they need adjusting? I'm considering taking it back if I can;t find better tones from it.

2. echale3

echale3 Member

You got me stumped on that one.... I'm a P-90 lover, and never heard of any P-90 equipped guitar being considered muddy on chords...

How close to the strings are the P-90s set, and how much gain are you using? I run my Gibby LP DC Special through a Peavey Triple XXX (an ultra-high gain amp) and they smoke my humbucker-equipped guitars in terms of articulation, from clean all the way to nu-metal gain levels, it just flat smokes 'em...

3. vendo

vendo Member

Thats whats got me stumped too. I've never had a P-90 equipped guitar but have heard their praises. I haven't really checked the height of the strings but I'm at work right now and won't be able to check 'til later. Should they be closer to the pickup to clean up or farther away? Thanks.

4. jay42

jay42 Member

P90's should be less middy at 4 to 5...crank it to 10 for a lot of midrange, back down for strumming. I don't recognize 'GOTW'...so I don't know whether you have some sort of oddball p90s.

5. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    guess I'm baffled also...I am also a P-90 lover...especially for Slide guitar they have always seemed to cut through the mix, other players often ask how I get my tones. I don't know, I just tweak the knobs until the sound pleases me, and then it's on! There are differences in tone between all my guitars, but I think that is the wood. after all, pup's are just part of the amplification of the acoustic tone. If the guitar sounds good acoustically, it will sound good amplified. I say it's the player, not the guitar. Give Buddy Guy a guitar, and he still sounds like Buddy Guy!

6. sumlin

sumlin Member

Simple:

Go to your amp, find the knob that says 'treble' and turn it up a little.

7. vendo

vendo Member

I agree, believe me I've spent enough time with it to have figured that much out. (a little credit please!) I've tried it on various settings, 2 different amps, and some pedals to boot. I realize too that the fingers have their role but when I A/B this guitar back and forth with my Les Paul and the difference is night and day, I'm guessing its not my fingers.

Any other advice? Should I just take it back and try again??? :confused:

8. sumlin

sumlin Member

When people say, 'it's in your fingers' they mean it's a subjective thing. There's no way of saying that something lacks treble - for example - because there's no way of really measuring a comment like that. It just means you think it sounds less trebly than what you're used to/expecting etc.
    I wasn't being flippant when I said turn the treble up. I just meant that perhaps you need to re-assess your 'go-to' settings on your amp and trust your ears a little to find whats right for the guitar.
    I use guitars with P90s and I like them a lot. Sure, there are variations in the type of P90 you might have and the stock Gibson ones are a little fluffy sounding sounding (see what I mean about subjective? "fluffy"!). But generally speaking they sound best when your amp is being driven a little harder.
    Perhaps you just like a more zingy treble though and the P90 is not for you.
    How people perceive what something sounds like is fascinating to me, if you asked 100 guitarists to listen to say Jimmy Page's sound on Heartbreaker and then go to an amp and recreate it, a lot would just dial in way way too much gain/drive because they hear the immediacy of the sound as being distortion when it's more to do with the mid range and the way it's recorded. You know what I mean?

9. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

GOTW is Guitar of the Week
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSG67

10. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Just lower your pickup away from the strings a bit and experiment. If you love the way it plays, buy a new P-90 like a Fralin. Fralins, for one, have much more clarity than a stock Gibson.

11. echale3

echale3 Member

P-90s generally need a little air between them and the strings, unlike humbuckers, which need to be set close to the strings.

Also, amp settings for P-90s are different than for humbuckers and fender-type single coils.

For me, I like the tones of my Vintage Mahogany LP with BB Pros where the bass is boosted a hair, the treble boosted a little more than the bass, and the mids set at neutral or maybe a teeny bit reduced. For the P-90s in my LP Double Cut Special, I set the bass at neutral, boost the mids a little bit, and the treble a tad more than the mids.

I use a Peavey Triple XXX amp, where the clean channel has regular cut-only tone controls, but the Crunch and Ultra tone controls have a +/- 12 db active boost/cut. The P-90s sound fantastic on any of the channels... I usually set the gain about midway on the Ultra and Crunch channels, set the individual channel volumes low, then use the Master volume to get the volume up, that way I get the power amp tubes cooking... It's not a prescription for you, it's just what works for me...

12. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Pots can also have something to do with it more than the P-90's sometimes. If you put in an RS kit or something, it would certainly bring about more clarity, and also costs less than new pickups. I had changed the p-90's in my les paul before i did the pots. something tells me if i would have just done the pots, i would of been happy.

13. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

+1
    Get an RS kit and lower the pickups...if that helps but still not there grab some some Lollars.
    I found the Lollars +Rs kit to have more clarity/sparkle the the stock Gibby's.

14. vendo

vendo Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I love this guitar but not the way it sounds... yet! I'll try adjusting the pickup height first, then maybe an RS kit if that'll help. Don't want to get into pickup swaps on a new guitar, I'd rather return it then buy a used one and get into swapping that way.

BTW, where do you suggest getting an RS kit?

Thanks again!

15. mark23

mark23 Member

man where did you get the fiddle, i've had one on pre order for over a month thought ams. I've called wichita band instruments, ccitymusic, and a couple of others and nobody has any of them left, any heads up where else to find one. Oh and as for bringing it back and then trying to find a used one is going to be a little tricky i've only seen one on ebay and it went for around 1,000 used.

mark

16. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Lower the pickups, raise the poles a bit. Maybe change the pots to all 500k if you don't want to invest in new pups. Yes, I have noticed the same thing. These P90's are A2 vs. A5 in the Classic so I think that adds a bit of flub as well. I love it for soloing. Big thick chewy notes. The Gibson P90's are voiced pretty hot & aggressive anyway. Much more so than the Fralins and Lollars I've used in my other SG Classics.

That said, I love my GOTW 67 Special.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I just played one of these today. What a great guitar! Better than many of the CS SG's I've played.

How much was it? GC wanted $999.00.

18. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I bought a VOS '56 Les Paul reissue a few months ago for my first P90 guitar and then the '67 SG Special came in to the local L&M store a couple of weeks later. I fell in love with the SG and returned the LP. I find the P90's in the SG have good clarity for chording through either of my amps, a DR Z Maz Jr and a Marshall 1974X. I also run the guitar through a few pedals, Fulltone OCD, Zendrive or MI Audio Crunchbox so maybe that makes the difference.

I also love my GOTW '67 Special.

[​IMG]

19. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

That's a great price on a new one. They were $1199 sticker price and limited to only 400 (long gone now). Gibson prices them with a case and GC is notorious for parting the cases out to sell separately, so if that's sana-case it's not as good a deal. I'd try to make them do $999 with the case, maybe tax included too and see what happens. Killer guitars.

20. soldano16

soldano16 Member

That's why I gave up on P-90's. I know what you mean.