P-90 replacement quest for my R6 may be over!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saf_1, Jul 14, 2015.

1. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I recently acquired an early '2000's R6 Goldtop, to replace the one I (regretfully) sold a few years ago. I've always kind of liked the stock Gibson P-90's, but the neck pickup always seemed kind of muddy to me, and I wanted a little more articulation. Had been looking at discussions here of various P-90's, but couldn't find what I considered to be a clear front-runner. I'd seen several people mention that they really liked the Wolfetone P-90's so I casually looked at his P-90 offerings. One thing I did like, was that he uses Alnico II mags instead of Alnico V's in his pickups. And I had owned a pair of his Marshallhead humbuckers a few years back, that he'd loaded with alnico II mags, instead of V's, for me. I had those p'ups in an R7 and really liked them - plus he was a good guy to deal with. So I started looking for some youtube demos, and ran across one of Big Mike, demo'ing a Kauer guitar, with a set of custom wound Wolfetone P-90's in it - and BOOM... I was knocked out! Then in the "comments" section of the vid, he mentioned that Wolfe would wind that set for anyone. I immediately got hold of Wolfe, and referenced the video. He said it was basically his "mean/meaner" set, with a slightly underwound neck. So I had him wind me a pair, and had them in less than a week (in about 3 days actually - "thanks Wolfe!!"). I've installed them in my R6, along with an RS Guitarworks pre-wired Premium Vintage Electronics Upgrade kit, with their own GuitarCap paper in oil caps (.015 neck, .022 bridge). Bottom line: my search is over - tonal nirvana! This IS my idealized P-90 LP tone! My preference is for a more throaty, semi-nasal, woody P-90 tone - and this combo delivers in spades! Warm and smooth, but with plenty of that P-90 grind when cranked. Just hot enough without going over the top. And plenty articulate, either clean or driven. Right now I am loving this combo of wiring kit and p'ups in my Goldtop - and I'd highly recommend it to anyone else who is looking. There have been plenty of times when I've been disappointed when I bought something I'd read about, or heard in a vid, but had not actually gotten to try first. Not this time! Boy-howdy... no buyer's remorse here!! Expectations, more than exceeded! If you are looking for a set of "soapbars", you need to check these out!

smcgov, alamere and mrfett like this.
  2. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I don't know what Wolfe does but he really does wind the best P90 on the planet IMO.

BTW you think they are good in your lester, you should hear what they were designed for (the K90's). ;)

3. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I think I'm gonna bump this...

4. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

What value caps come stock in the R6?

5. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I put them in a Hamer Special...instant transformation form the stock hot Duncans.

6. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Killer pickups. Hard to bitch about those. That goldtop starliner in that vid makes me so happy I can't tell you.
    It's *the* Les Paul tone I heard in my head.

7. saf_1

saf_1 Member

8. SSol28

SSol28 Member

What value pots are in the guitar? I have an Gibson LP Special w/ 500k pots that I've been looking to swap the pickups in. Also:clips

9. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

Good info to have-THANKS!

Remember: The 'return' key is your friend.

10. Lowlands Erik

Lowlands Erik Member

Wolfe winds some excellent pickups. :)
    Have several in my guitars.
    I do find changing both electronics and pickups at the same time tricky.
    The final result is not due to the pickups alone.
    Could be that the Gibson P-90s would have done great with new electronics alone.
    But I have gone the same way before. :rolleyes:
    But I promised myself to do one change out at the time.

Enjoy your guitar!

cheers
    Erik