• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

P-90s do you like em?

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
I usually don’t like ‘em. My ears are so trained to either Fender twang or PAF tones, that P90’s usually sound like a blah, half baked middle of the road tone that’s never as good as either. However, I sometimes can rock a dual P90 guitar in the middle position.

That said, I still plan to order a Novo Serus J and get a good Les Paul Jr. and R4 or R6 one day. I haven’t given up yet.

HiddenAgenda

Silver Supporting Member
Got a Reverend Sensei "JR" that I love. P90s sound great and play it all the time backing off guitar volume as needed.
I was sort of shocked that my actual Gibson JR P90s don't sound half as good. Maybe need to try that again to confirm.

P90 (singular) lolz

Duneland Labs

Your surface mount pickups sound AMAZING...
Glad you like it. Doesn’t ding the resale value, allows for a much stronger neck joint on that axe compared to what happens when you excavate all that wood for a well in that area, plus you can put it anywhere along the scale you want.

M

Member 199413

Well, the Firebird is my favorite guitar for many reasons. The LP Special ALWAYS delivers, the ES 330 is indeed sublime as another poster mentioned, and the SG Classic is one of the best bargains in the guitar universe.

I think you pick your favorite shape or form factor and let 'er rip.

I mean, I play Black Sabbath on the 330 and, while I am not much of a jazzer, the LP or the SG will do jazz.

The last few years, Gibson has made an ES 335 with P-90s. That might be the best possible choice if you can't buy ALL of the guitars. :aok

Damn that’s some tasty tones!

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
Use less overdrive
Use you volume and tone on your guitar

P90 pickups are great but you need to learn less is more and you will get it

scraven

I have a 56 LP Special and it is crazy good. Nasty but clean up great. Very balanced.
Also have a 57 ES 225, 62 ES 330 and 58 LP JR. Fantastic instruments.

Never saw it coming but I have more P90 equipped guitars than ones with humbuckers.

They're a liiittle bit less muddy than a lot of humbuckers are (not all) and I dig that. They really shine when you have a treble bleed installed and you roll back the volume a notch though.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
"Like" does not cover it for me. Full on P-90 love here. So many good ones. The Lollar P90s in my Eastman T64v are outstanding. Same goes for the original "Franz" pickup - sort of a low wind P90 but not quite the same - in a '61 Guild X50 archtop. Ditto the Ian Anderson wound P90s in a spanish cedar tele partscaster. I just cannot get enough of that P90 sound.

socalscott

They don't work for me. Others love them, it's up to you.

I had a 58 TV yellow Special for 25 years that I never really bonded with, and I get along with pretty much anything.
We're talking guitars, not woman, correct? I mean dude, one example for a quarter of a century!? Not even a mag or pot swap?
The first time I tried P90's, I sampled 3 gits. A PRS being the worst and a PV at a 10th the price being IT.

Tech21

P90's, Very reactive to how you play the strings.
Very clean cleans and they growl and howl when you want 'em to.
Way more expressive than a Stat pickup.
All the good bits of Single Coil with the DC Resistance of a Gibson PAF Humbucker.

socalscott

"Like" does not cover it for me. Full on P-90 love here. So many good ones. The Lollar P90s in my Eastman T64v are outstanding. Same goes for the original "Franz" pickup - sort of a low wind P90 but not quite the same - in a '61 Guild X50 archtop. Ditto the Ian Anderson wound P90s in a spanish cedar tele partscaster. I just cannot get enough of that P90 sound.
Exactly...and that cedar Tele pron you're talkin' has me reaching for some lotions. Pardon my digression.

I have a variety of mag types and mixes, along with different taps and winds. I'm not sure how a bad one would be made. Well, when overwound, I simply de-wind too taste. I have a stock cheapo SX, ceramics @ low 8k's with a TB circuit. The vol under 4 is Fender eq, roll up mids to taste and finally a pedal like front-end push...$125!

singlecutarmy

The ones in my 1955 inspired epiphone are tonal nirvana to me.

I mostly play high gain / modern gain which they bring a unique voice to. Sounds like a humbucker to me but meaner with some hum.

But I also love the neck for cleans. It's fat but clear.

socalscott

How does it compare to a nice Strat neck pickup?
Add a lot of mid-boost to a Strat and you'd get in the ballpark. The bar mags and screws add compression to the plain strings, so they can be fat/bold in comparison, yet the wounds aren't muddy. Vol roll-off is where they can be sweetened up.
With a treble-bleed circuit and vol rolled off to 3. The eq becomes similar, but with plenty of output. I think Bass-cut is the ticket these days.

zeffbeff

Add a lot of mid-boost to a Strat and you'd get in the ballpark. The bar mags and screws add compression to the plain strings, so they can be fat/bold in comparison, yet the wounds aren't muddy. Vol roll-off is where they can be sweetened up.
With a treble-bleed circuit and vol rolled off to 3. The eq becomes similar, but with plenty of output. I think Bass-cut is the ticket these days.
How would, say, a LP Jr sound through a vintage Bassman stack? Cleans, driven, pedals, etc.

They’re great. What’s not to love ?

They are phenomenal out of phase in the middle position too for that T-Bone Walker nasal honk kind of sound if that’s your thing. :p

Trending Topics