P-90's for my '83 Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RGB, Jan 27, 2006.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I have an '83 American Standard and I'm thinking about trying to find a pickguard assembly with P-90's for it. Would anyone know where I might find this stuff?

2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Ok, did some research and found Vintage Vibe guitars on the web. This guy has Strat sized P-90's. Anyone familiar with these?

3. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

Yes, great pickups. I have some of Vintage Vibe's fullsize P90s and his Strat sized ones. I can't tell any difference in tone.

4. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Perfect!

Thanks!

5. 5wayswitch

5wayswitch Member

i have a set of the strat sized p-90s and they kick major ass:JAM

6. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

That is so cool that Pete makes Strat sized P90s. I have a set of his soap bar ceramic mags in my McInturff and they also kicketh major booty.

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Thanks guys! Now I have to check and see if he can do a complete pickguard assembly for me. The '83 is a little wierd in that it only has 2 pots and a jack where the lowest pot is on all other Strats....otherwise I'll just buy the trio and wire 'em up!

8. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I really like the stock '83 pickups. I have an '83 in need of a set of originals. Are you interested in selling the original '83s?

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I like the originals as well, just looking for a little variety. I no longer have the bridge pup. The winding broke while bouncing around in my toolbox a few years back so all I have are the middle and neck pup. I'll probably hang on to them though. I may use them again one day. Sorry!

Great guitars aren't they? I think the '83's are kind of a well kept secret.

10. Luke V

Luke V Member

you don't have to worry about Strat size pickups on an '83 Am. std. The route is a huge rectangle (no wood between pickup positions). You can fit whatever you want in there.

11. John C

John C Supporting Member

Luke - RGB has the 1983 Standard Stratocaster - that is the 2-knob version made in 1983/84 right before CBS sold the company to FMIC. These do, in fact, have the traditional 3 routes.

There is a lot of confusion over serial numbers on the "real" 1983/84 Standard Strats and the early run American Standard Strats because FMIC used up some headstock decals with "E3XXXXX" and "E4XXXXX" serial numbers left over from the CBS era on the first American Standard Strats, which didn't come out until late 1986 (and were formally introduced in January 1987 at the NAMM show). FMIC didn't get the serial number system back on track (or at least as on track as it ever was) until 1988 (with "E8XXXXX" serial numbers).

12. rorschah

rorschah Member

Hey, you folks with those VV strat-sized p90s -

what are they like in there?

I'd love a fatter strat tone, but I love my strat for its total sensitivity to every little twiddle of my fingers. Still get that with the p90s?

-thi

13. 5wayswitch

5wayswitch Member

yes you still get all the great sounds that make it a strat but petes pups at least to my ears are much thicker than normal strat pups . they dont mush out either and respond to gain very well when you play with the volume .