P 90's in a Les Paul Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Slotunes, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Ive got a Les Paul deluxe that I'd like to put some old P90's into.Is this a direct fit or is their any routing required??Thanks in advance, seanl

2. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Direct fit. The mini hummers and their mounts were designed to work with the existing tooling for P90s.

-jm

3. sosomething

sosomething Member

Wow, I never knew that! I've wondered for some time, though. What about the presence of pickup mounting rings? Are they still to be used with the replacement P-90s, or do you just have four screw holes bordering each pickup?

4. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

If you have pickup mounting rings, the guitar is not stock. That being said, there were some Deluxes that had bad routs, and Gibson chose to sell them anyways, and used what is now referred to as "boo-boo" rings to cover up the errors.

Here's what it SHOULD look like:

[​IMG]

Here's what the boo-boo rings look like:

[​IMG]

The pickup is mounted to the plastic surround, and the same screws that mount the pickup to the surround also mount the pickup into the body of the guitar.

So, if you have a deluxe that doesn't look like either of these, it's been altered by a previous owner, and you may need to modify SOMETHING to make it work.

-jm

5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Unfortunately I don't have access to a better picture right now...

Your pickup cavity will look vaguely similar to this:

[​IMG]

There'll be 4 holes. The outer holes are for the 'butterfly' mount that the mini-hums attach to. The inner holes directly line up with the mounting holes on a P-90 (which are just to the outside of the two inner polepieces).

As jmadill mentioned, there aren't pickup rings for Deluxes, there's the "goof hiders" which just cover the edges of the route, and serve no function other than to hide bad routs. The screws in the deluxe pickups don't raise and lower the pickup in its plastic mount, it raises and lowers the whole unit on the 'buterfly' mount. You also don't need to remove the mount- there's holes in it to mount the P-90.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The metal strips that the Deluxe pickups mount to also have holes for P90s - so you can use fine threaded machine screws rather than woodscrews to mount the P90s (better IMO) and retain the foam blocks that are glued to the strips. To do this you'll need to drill two clearance holes under the holes in the metal strip, but that's no worse than holes for woodscrews and is the only mod you need to make.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Also, John touched on it, you'll need some sort of shim for the pickup- to keep it from settling to the bottom of the rout. In the past I've used pieces of rubber tubing around the screws- but that's a pain in the rear. A friend used some wooden shims that he attached to the pickup plate using double sided tape. I've been happy most recently using the dense foam that you find on older (re: thicker) mouse pads.

8. photoguy

photoguy Member

Interesting to be reading this as just last week on another forum I read, there was a player going in the other direction. Replacing P90's with mini humbuckers. This guy is a pretty good player...in fact just saw him on the Today show a few months ago...and he was saying that the P90 hum made his guitar almost unplayable, especially so with any kind of high gain.

I guess the grass is always greener...

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

I like both, but prefer mini humbuckers in my Les Paul Deluxe. My SG Classic has P-90s.