P-90's in your "go to" guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rusty G., Jun 24, 2006.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Does anybody here use P-90's in their main or "go to" guitar? If so, what kind of music do you play, and what is your basic rig. . .guitar, pickup brand, amp and pedals, if you use them.

I picked up a Hamer Special with two P-90's and changed out the Duncans to Lollars. That made a huge improvement. . . Still, I'm having problems bonding with the guitar. It plays great, and the sustain is there. Problem is, I can't find an amp that's "in love" with the guitar. . . .No, take that back. . .The clean channel on my Hot Cat 15 sounds incredible with the Special. . .especially when it's cranked to about 3:00 o'clock. . .then it's power tube saturation, and of course, that sounds great. . .gut it's so freaking loud.

Anybody here offer some suggestions on another amp? I know, I can always attenuate the Hot Cat, but I'm looking for other suggestions. How about you Koll or Thorn players. . .What amps do you use?

Thanks,

2. HHB

HHB Member

I use P-90's a lot, played 3 of 4 sets on my LPjr last night. I use pedals and am very happy w/ the tone, Ed deGenaro has some killer clips w/ a stock Hamer Special into a Time Machine Boost and I think a Flexi 50, it's a killer tone.

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I have Lollar P90s in a Suhr tele style (mahog body & neck, maple top) that I own. It is one of my top two or three guitars and works really well with my Carr Rambler. I just picked up a Top Supreme 16 (Thanks to Stu from Fat Sound!) but haven't tried that guitar through it yet. I also have a Thorn with Rio Grande P90s. Those pickups are much more darker and 'smoky' than the Lollars, so right now it's not versatile enough to be my #1. Still, it's AMAZING as-is for what it does. I'm contemplating a pickup change to make it more versatile, but for now am enjoying it as-is.

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yep, I've got a few. Gibson R4, R6, R4 Custom Black Beauty, LP Special with Lollar P-90's, TCM Royal and so on, but I've recently discovered Lindy Fralin's P-92 and I think it is now my favorite pickup. I just dropped a set into my LP Florentine and Whoa Baby! I can't put this guitar down! This pickup is a noiseless P-90 with some steroid use. They are phat, full, rich sweet and clean. I've also got them in two Teles and they work great in that platform as well. I'll be working more P-92's into my pack of guitars. I play electric blues and don't use pedals as a rule since I discovered Maven Peal amps with their adjustable output wattage and Sag. Yeah, I'm and old school kind of guy.
    :BluesBros

5. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

I have two "go to" guitars that have P90's... one is my PRS McCarty which has stock duncan soapbars in it. The only changes to this guitar has been an RS upgrade.

Tied for my "go to" axe is my Hamer Studio Custom loaded with Duncan Phat Cats. This guitar screams and oozes tone!

Classic rock is my staple... but I'll dable in anything including some blues :D

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Tele Jr (set neck chambered mahogany) that I put Lollars in, and an R4 that's stock both of which I play a lot, as well as an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe. I guess you could say I like P90's. Oh, and a Heritage H137 in transit right now that I bought when I was In Florida earlier this week and had shipped.

I play through an Allen Accomplice with a 15" Eminence Big Ben, straight electric blues mostly, no pedals and a healthy dose of reverb. If you're familiar with the Raw knob on Allens, I use a little (3 or 4) with P90's, more with my regular Tele. I love the amp, and the P90's too. I get a particularly good reaction when I play the Tele Jr--players I know have been known to give me a hard time, in fun of course, but they mean it as well, if I show up at a jam with something else.

My experience with P90's is mostly through Fender type amps, either tweed or blackface, if you can plug into something lke that, especially a lower power one, I think you' find out if P90's are for you. I don't know a lot about pedals, but most people I know with P90's aren't using them much. Maybe that's because P90's do on their own do what overdrives are made to do for other pickups.

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Got Lollar P-90's in my R4 and love it, used it at a gig this week with my Top Hat CR, great combo of chime and grind.

If you are not bonding with the guitar I would not go too crazy with pups and such. It just ain't the guitar for you, I know it sucks to hear it but it is best to move on and find a piece of wood that makes your nipples hard.

[​IMG]

8. WordMan

WordMan Member

I play a 70's '54 Custom Reissue - so a P-90 and an Alnico. I play in a cover band that does mostly 80's dance rock with some more modern stuff - we play everything from Hit Me with Your Best Shot and Blondie and Pretenders, to Underneath it All by No Doubt (reggae). My guitar, straight into my Cornford Hellcat 2-channel, Master Volume amp, sounds great. It is one of the few MV amps that preserves amazing tone at all levels - I don't know how they do it but the Power Amp sag that normally gets cut out of an MV amp still is in there even at lower volumes.

If you are getting the tone you want but at a volume you can't use, then you need to manage that on the amp end of things. If you are not getting the tone you want, then it is likely the guitar - a pickup can only add shape to the fundamental tone the guitar produces...

9. Lammy

Lammy Member

I play a parts tele witha P90 in the neck and a HD s90 in teh bridge. Its hot. I play a Hayseed 30 with 2 OD's and 2 Delays.

I play indie rock.
    I setup the hayseed for OD when i slam the guitar and use the pedals for more sustain, so i can clean up when i play lighter.
    This is my first p90 guitar, i love it.

10. DanR

DanR Member

This is my 'go to' rig -

[​IMG]

'96 Les Paul Special with standard Gibson P90's. TopHat Club Royale amp and either a Barber Direct Drive or MI Audio Blues Pro for the overdrive pedal.

11. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I don't really have a "go to" gutiar -- I'm too ADD for that. :D But I'm pretty frequently handling either my Reverend Slingshot or Hamer Special -- like you, I replaced the Duncans with Lollars. Talk about an improvement! I had the same kind of "amp problems" you describe with the Duncans, and I've had the guitar since I bought it new in '93. One thing to keep in mind with Lollars -- they're really sensitive to pickup height. You might try mucking about with that. I've got a Koll on order that's intended to be my go-to guitar, and it's going to have P-90s...does that count?

For amps, I find that my Supro, Deluxe clone & Swart are magnificent with the P-90s. I don't like the sound of my Princeton Reverb nearly as much -- it doesn't have that cool reedy mid sound that the other amps have.

As for pedals, see my sig. I usually don't need OD with the P-90s (volume knobs are your friend!) but I do use delay, fuzz, and the occasional phaser.

Music style -- uh, post-rock noodlefests with occasional forays into bluesland, and rare excursions to the outer fringes of jazzonia.

12. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I'm playing a Music Man Axis Super Sport with their MM90 pickups into a SF Deluxe Reverb or a Tech 21 Trademark 60 (whatever I feel like carrying just before the gig) - a Full-Drive 2 and an OCD handle the pedal drive duties. We do everything from Stray Cats and Gene Vincent to the Ramones, and it handles it just fine. I have a PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut I bring for backup, but it usually doesn't get more than a couple songs' use per night - it's a great guitar, but the Axis SS is the guitar I was born to play...

13. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

The only guitar I use at home is my 1981 Tokai LS120 with a set of Gibson P-94 single coil replacement pickups in humbucker size. The amp is a 1979 Mesa Boogie Mark IIB 60w head with a self-built 1x12" EVL Thiele cab. I play mostly ZZ Top stuff, but also other similar and not so similar material, and I'm very happy with that setup, because it's very versatile in my opinion, yet always keeps the honk tone I like so much.

14. guitrr

guitrr Reverb Junkie Silver Supporting Member

My favorite guitar is my PRS McCarty Standard Soapbar Rosewood. I play a huge variety of music, but this guitar really is in its element playing blues and classic rock. It still has the stock pickups in it, but after 3 yrs of ownership, it's getting Lollars - I recently got to play three guitars with Lollar P-90s, and was just floored at how much better they sound.

When playing this guitar through my Germino Masonette at gig volume, no pedals are needed, but I usually use a clean boost for a little more touch responsiveness - lately the BB Preamp has been my favorite for that.

When I run it through my Swart, I use either a Klon or Zendrive, but set with very little gain, mostly clean boost.

I recently gigged some country stuff with this guitar too, and the P-90's worked great, now that country is a little more rock and rollish.

In the pic, it's the PRS on the far right.

Kane

[​IMG]

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have humbucker-sized P-90's in my Delia. I run it through a Harry Joyce Custom 50 into a Swanson 2x12 loaded with Scholz speakers. My effects up front are minimal. Greedtone Boost, D*A*M Meathead Deluxe, Boss Rotary Station, and a DLS Echotap.

I play a little bit of everything.

16. sears

sears Member

17. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I use a Melancom P90 Artist as my primary guitar. I'm not sure, but I think Gerard used Dimarzios when he made this one. I absolutely love it. It's not noisy at all, has a three way mini switch that gives me in/out phase and something else. It can do very convincing country, funk, jazzyish, and grindy rock. It drives all my pedals wonderfully. I'm in love with P90s and I don't see that fading anytme soon.

18. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I ONLY play P90 guitars.I dropped a set into my LKP custom, my go-to guitar is usually my les paul special , but I recently bought a Hamer special korina jr, and this guitar kicks everything else's ass.

19. tdu

tdu Member

I find my P-90 equipped guitar works well with pretty much any amp I run it into. That is one reason why I love P-90's so much. Amazing cleans, and a amazing crunch. I have owned a few P-90 guitars, but I am currently using a 2003 Gibson Melody Maker.

20. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Glad to see I'm in good company :) P90s are the only things I'll use now. I've been experimenting for over 8 years with different guitar designs and pickups, but now I've realized, give me a dual cutaway guitar with all mahogany body and neck (with rosewood fretboard), Lollar P90s, a wraparound bridge and I'm perfectly at home ;)

I play in a Rock/Pop band and I draw a from a lot of classic rock and roll and blues. For my style, the crunch and snarl I get overdriven fits perfectly and yet I still get a sweeter clean tone than I could ever get from a humbucker.