• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

P.A.T. Harmonic Challenge / JAM #2 (suggestions)

vhollund

After our little Jam in the GAMBMD thread... Me , Bear , amstrtatnut, KiwiJoe ao. thought it would be fun and instructive to do it again

I wouldn't be against throwing down some Donna Lee but maybe for a start, we should keep it a little simpler so that a more diverse group of players can hop inn.
It could be standards, All the things you are... or...

Could be a Beatles song like Yesterday or Strawberry Fields
Or D Bowie "Is there life on mars" has a cool harmony too
Many interesting popsongs

Could be a Jazz blues ,

Could a cheesy 80's popsong with hair on it

and we could have a discussion about different ways to tackle the changes

An idea i find almost more intriguing than solo's is to make a 'guitar arrangement jam' where we come up with parts to a song, and learn from each others perspectives

Let's hear your thoughts / suggestions
:)

Last edited:

Phletch

Maybe something like "Straight, No Chaser" for an up-tempo jazz blues? Or "Maiden Voyage" for something modal?

Or something funky like "Mr. Magic." The solo section on the record just goes over the Cm - F9 vamp, but we could arrange it to go through the entire verse changes and the chorus. Lots of harmony-rich possibilities there. We could even work that into your guitar arrangement idea with different people taking different parts.

"Donna Lee" is a bit over my head and out of my league, I think, but I'd fearlessly tread into uncharted waters. I'm not proud so I have no problem making a fool of myself. :rotflmao

Last edited:

dewey decibel

The GAMBMD thread!? Do you have a link?

I'm totally up for a jam kind of thing; ok with the bop stuff, but in general I think it's best to choose a tune with some kind of form/changes, but too long a form (as in All the Things) might not be a good choice. Same with something that is too open (as in So What). Gotta be the right mix of changes and form (so theres a logical beginning and ending), bop blues might be cool. In the jazz vein something like Unit 7 or Jeanine? Maybe Yesterdays (Kern, not McCartney), or even Summertime? I can make a rhythm track, just let me know...

flavaham

Ok, I missed the first one but I might be in for this. I'm not a jazz guy by any means but that might be good for me, to get out of my comfort zone, ya know?

Are we just gonna upload our takes or are we collaborating on something? Straight No Chaser could be good. Not sure I've attempted Maiden Voyage, but I'm sure I'd be down either way.

vhollund

I'm totally up for a jam kind of thing; ok with the bop stuff, but in general I think it's best to choose a tune with some kind of form/changes, but too long a form (as in All the Things) might not be a good choice. Same with something that is too open (as in So What). Gotta be the right mix of changes and form (so theres a logical beginning and ending), I agree bop blues might be cool. In the jazz vein something like Unit 7 or Jeanine? Maybe Yesterdays (Kern, not McCartney), or even Summertime? I can make a rhythm track, just let me know...
That would be great,
I am on the move till sunday so I can't do much till then myself anyhow

Bop blues and Yesterdays are good choices imo
Imo the most interesting jazz songs are longer than average , my old flame , Round midnight, Body and soul...
But if the songs are long we can just limit the solos to 2 A's or B + A(out)

flavaham said:
Are we just gonna upload our takes or are we collaborating on something? V: A joint collaboration is a bit more complex to pull off, though not impossible in an arrangement jam. Straight No Chaser could be good. Not sure I've attempted Maiden Voyage, but I'm sure I'd be down either way.
The way i see it, the forum leaves space for all kinds of initiative
We just have to make a new thread for each Jam

There can be Jazz Jams , Pop jams, Arrangement/texture jams (!) you name it. :)

Last edited:

GuyBoden

IMHO, the problems you get when with using a Bebop Jazz Blues for a jam, is that it will be too tempting to play the usual pentatonic/blues scale noodling and not really learning anything new.

Guy

vhollund

IMHO, the problems you get when with using a Bebop Jazz Blues for a jam, is that it will be too tempting to play the usual pentatonic/blues scale noodling and not really learning anything new.

Guy
Yes , true but hopefully it will be one jam of many
+ it would be a good place to discuss options and ideas for how to handle a Jazz blues

amstrtatnut

Sign me up.

Jazz has been beyond me for a long time but Im up for learing.

Hopefully a few genres can be in the mix.

flavaham

So what are we trying to achieve here and, when are we gonna get this rolling? I'm not positive what the ultimate goal is still...but intrigued enough that I want to see what'll happen!

I'm gonna go hunt down the first thread and see what you all did!

vhollund

I'm totally up for a jam kind of thing; ok with the bop stuff, but in general I think it's best to choose a tune with some kind of form/changes, but too long a form (as in All the Things) might not be a good choice. Same with something that is too open (as in So What). Gotta be the right mix of changes and form (so theres a logical beginning and ending), bop blues might be cool. In the jazz vein something like Unit 7 or Jeanine? Maybe Yesterdays (Kern, not McCartney), or even Summertime? I can make a rhythm track, just let me know...
Sooo...
Are you still up for it ?

dewey decibel

Here's one I did a long time ago for Blue Bossa. The lead is (fake) vibes, never actually did a guitar lead. If anyone wants the backing let me know.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://m.soundcloud.com/dewey-decibel-1/bluedbossavibes1[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I'm actually between recording setups right now, but hope to get my situation together by the end of this week, at which point I'll be jacked up to do pretty much anything. Thinking something more stripped down would be good, so you could either just do a single lead or multiple parts. Less changes too, but still something that has some kind if harmonic obstacle in it.

Clifford-D

Sounds fun guys, but can I suggest for greater success, choose something around 120bpm that grooves and is easy enough that people can get past the music and into their playing.
That has been John Scofields approach in his writing from the beginning
Cissy Strut, I Don't Need No Dr Sco/Mayer style, 3rd Stone From The Sun or the simpler Little Wing, Continuum, Angel Eyes, etc,,,

Something like those?? Stay away from Donna Lee or Moments Notice and that lot.

if you want success and contributers.

vhollund

Pardon me but I think those Songs defies the purpose of a "harmonic challence" , and the potential discussion about approaches. The changes would have to demand more than the usual one scale noodle
..ofcourse it's a free world as long as none get hurt

bop blues might be cool. In the jazz vein something like Unit 7 or Jeanine? Maybe Yesterdays (Kern, not McCartney)
Those where good suggestions

Last edited:

Calaban

Ok how about an original progression?

I wrote this LONG progression a while back, and never came up with a melody for it. Lots of changes but no super fancy chords. Someone write me a melody and then we can record some solos!

3/4 time...kind of a jazz waltz organ trio thing - I had the Larry Goldings Trio in mind when I came up with it. Peter Bernstein on guitar. I was thinking about 140bpm, but it could be faster.

For measures with 2 chords, each chord is played as a dotted quarter

Form is straight down...ABC.

A section
Bbmaj7/ Eb7sus9/ Abmaj7/ Db7sus9/ Gbmaj7 / F7sus4 F7/ Bbmaj7 Dbmaj7/ Gbmaj7 Bmaj7/
Bbmaj7/ Eb7sus9/ Abmaj7/ Db7sus9/ Gbmaj7 /F7sus4 F#dim/ Gmin7/ C7 //

B section
Eb9 / / / /Bbmaj7 / Ebmaj7 /Dmin7b5 / G7 /
Eb9 / / / /D7#9 / Gmin7 /Cmin7 Dbmaj7/ Gbmaj7 Bmaj7 //

C section
Bbmaj7/ Eb7sus9/ Abmaj7/ Db7sus9/ Cmin7b5/ F7 / Dmin7b5/ G7 /
Cmin7 /Ebmin7 / Dmin7 / G7 / Cmin7 /F7 /Bbmaj7 / F7sus9 //

Outro vamp (would happen at the end of the tune, in place of the last two measures - Bbmaj7 F7sus9 - in the C section):
Bbmaj7 Dbmaj7/ Gbmaj7 Bmaj7/ etc etc etc.....

The 4 measures of Eb9 in the B section can be altered however...
Any dom7 chord can be altered...just leaving it open ended.

I'll try to record a backing track this week.

Have at it....or ignore it!
But I'd seriously like to hear what people do with this if anyone is interested

Last edited:

Calaban

I've made a very CRUDE backing track for the above chord progression. 3 times through the form and the outro vamp. Each chorus is just a copy and paste of the last so there's not much variation.

It's just an EZ Drummer jazz loop and some electric piano from EZ Keys (voice leading could be WAY better - gunna work on it).

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/calaban70/tgp-jazz-waltz[/soundcloud]

Last edited:

Trending Topics