p bass and jaguar

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by cchord59, Jan 10, 2008.

1. cchord59

cchord59 Member

I've joined a new band playing bass, and decided to get a new bass. I've got it down to a precision, or a jaguar. I haven't had time to go in and compare them. If I got a pbass I'd probably just get a mexican, and upgrade the pickups.

I would love if I could get some responses on the difference in tone between the two.
    any thoughts?
    thanks

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I think the Jag is mighty ugly. If you are going to stick with a 4 string, I'd hop on eBay and get an 80's Japanese Precision or Jazz. USA quality (or better) for not much more than Mexican money. (Use the search terms MIJ and Japan*.)

3. ghoti

ghoti Member

I don't like either one that much...

Jag for more tonal variety and a better sound IMO. P for a more traditional "thud" and a simpler setup.

Play them both in shops...whatever you prefer is the right one for you.

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

The jag is very versatile for a Fender.

5. KCWM

KCWM Member

I prefer a p-bass in that situation.

Of course, I just traded my p-bass for a jazz bass, and I'm much happier with the sounds of the J-bass over the p-bass. It obviously can't do the p-bass thing as well as the p-bass, but is more flexible, in my opinion, and is therefore a more preferable choice.

6. tkozal

tkozal Member

The jag is basically a variation on a jazz, two sc's, but some different electronics...you are in the age old bass player dilema of split humbucker versus two single coils, P type versus J type...play 'em

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

True, but the addition of the active electronics, when used, at least addresses the noisy part of the age-old dilemma.

I think the jag looks cool as hell, and the one I played had a really nice, fast J neck.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

And that might just be the deal-breaker for someone who's normally a guitarist. That 1.5" nut width makes it so much easier to play- IMO. I've always struggled with the larger nut width on Ps.

9. KCWM

KCWM Member

you know TGB, that might be the reason why I never connected with my P-bass. It was a fantastic bass for a MIM Fender. As odd as it might seem to say, the neck played incredible, but I didn't like how it felt. I think you hit the nail on the head for me.

10. RomanS

RomanS Member

What about one of those P-Bass Specials (there is an inexpensive Squier model, and a very nice looking Fender Aerodyne version)? They have got the slim J-Bass neck on a Precision body, and combine a P-Bass split pickup (for the quintessential rock/country/soul-tone) with a J-Bass single-coil at the bridge (to dial in some treble and upper mids if you want to get funky).

11. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Get the jag because it looks great! and it sounds good. A little neck dive with the one that a friend of mine has though.

You can get a fairly big bass sound from a Jazz single coil in the neck but you can't anywhere near the growl of a Jazz on a P bass. I think it's a no brainer that if you don't know what you want, go with the Jazz (or at least the Jazz style).

the S1 switching is nice on the American Jazz basses - gets you a big bass sound in the realm of the P (but not just like the P). Amazing that the Jag doesn't have an S1 switch among all those switches.