P-Bass pickup with lots of low end

ES330

Have you tried flatwounds? I know it's not the original question, but I changed to flats on my P bass looking for the same thing, and the thump was immense. Bit simpler and cheaper to reverse it too if it's not what you're looking for.
Yes, but never took to the feel of flatwounds.
I prefer light gauge roundwounds with high action
on the fretboard.

Maybe since I use light gauge strings
I'm seeking compensation from the pickups.

NoiseNinja

I've not used Quarter Pounders, from what I have gleaned they are very popular for grind and punch in a loud, guitar driven mix. What that tells me is it is a MID focused pickup, similar to the MFD on my G&L.
The Quarter Pounder is in fact quite the opposite, a quite mid scooped pickup, with lots of low end and top end but not a whole lot of mid frequency content.

Looking at the tone profile graphics on Seymour Duncan's homepage confirms this too.

Last edited:
BTW, you can get the sound of flats by just adding a foam mute under your rounds:

I think Carol Kaye tapes hers over the top:

but it's quite common to stick it under the strings at the bridge:

It's not giving you more bass, it's just removing the high-end so that the bass seems more prominent.

Endr_rpm

The Quarter Pounder is in fact quite the opposite, a quite mid scooped pickup, with lots of low end and top end but not a lot of mid frequency content.

Looking at the tone graphics on Seymour Duncan's homepage confirms this too.
While I get what you are saying, its amusing that the marketing copy on the same page

"The quarter-inch diameter pole pieces expand the magnetic field and extend the frequency ranges for fat, full, punchy sound with tremendous mid-range presence and maximum output. Though often used for heavy rock tones,..."

Directly contradicts the "tone profile" on the same page!!

Again, having never used them myself, I am going off of what others have reported, and my own experience with an entirely different pick up (G&L MFP Split coil) that has been often compared to the 1/4 pounder, and which I know to be quite mid forward.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I had flats on a 2000 string through P bass. More low end rumble couldn't possible exist.

Trending Topics