P-Bass..... swweeeet

Jerryr

During my last 13 year stretch of playing bass I used a Fender American Jazz with solid ash body, EB Stingray and an Ibanez ATK300 (very good bass). They are all very good basses

I stopped playing bass for a couple of years and I'm just getting back into it now. I sold the Stingray (ATK300 does that job pretty nicely). After watch Bob Babbit playing P-Bass in the documentary "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" I got the urge to pick up a P-Bass. I played one back in the 70's but never really appreciated it that much.

Well a pick up a nice plain black 2005 American P-Bass about 4-5 months ago and since I'm currently just looking around at some bands, I've never go to try it with a drummer and other instruments

until today.....

I was going to try out with a band and they told me I didn't have to bring my amp because they had a Fender Rumble 60 at the practice site. Rumble 60 I thought..... you can't be serious????

So I just brought my pedal board that has my favorite compressor on it. I figured it would help fatten up the sound of the little Rumble 60.

Well...... surprise!!! what a nice sound. I had put new chrome flats on the bass and it's got an awesome deep thump or slam to the sound. It fit right into the mix so nicely that I had two people comment on how nice it sounded. What a great bass...... it just fits me right (the jazz seems to hang a little), feels perfect and as you can tell I love the sound.

These things are so basic but just so damn good!!! Definitely a soul full of rock and roll.

Now I'm seriously thinking of selling my J-Bass to pick up another P-Bass to have as my two main basses...... a sunburst one would be nice :)

lpdeluxe

After years of playing Jazz basses and derivatives (Carvin LB20, G&L L2000) I got a Precision four years ago. Now all the J basses are gone, and I have four Ps: AV '57, Classic '50s, '51 RI and a fretless. I love 'em.

fritzreiser

Supporting Member
+1. I just ditched my AV 62 RI Jazz bass for a 2009 AmDlx Precision bass and couldn't be happier. I knew I'd love the sound, but am shocked that I actually prefer the thicker neck on the P-bass.

BluesForDan

Supporting Member
I like the smaller body on the precision, but prefer the neck of the jazz. at the time I was looking, all the hybrids (p body, j neck) were out of my price range.

I'm a big fan of the sound of a p-bass, too. just not the neck for me though. maybe someday I'll get a p-bass and swap necks, and sell the left over parts.

I prefer the wider neck on P basses, and the fatter sound that the pickup has compared to J basses, especially when wearing flatwounds.

I currently own two Nash P basses with Lollar pickups and a custom build with a Dark Star.

smallbutmighty

Supporting Member
P Bass is the one bass to rule them all, IMO. My all time favorite sounding bass is my black Hot Rod P (the one pictured on my site), which sadly Fender no longer makes.

I wouldn't mind a thinner neck, but will gladly play on the wide neck if that's what it takes to make this beautiful noise.

I also recently resurrected my old road-warrior P-copy after 10+ years of other basses and couldn't be more pleased. There's something about a P that can't be duplicated.

Zim

Still my #1

My 1995 USA Fender P in Burst. 100% original and have owned it since '97. Has been on Every gig/recording/jam/lesson or just need to release steam since.

I even have a pic of my daughter when she was maybe 1yrs old slapping it while in my lap. I will play this thing to the grave and she will take over it then. (she is 5 now and getting into playing)

MANY basses have come and gone, but she is still here. I can't even remember all that have come and gone!

I plan on another P to use with either flats or but flats on this one. And I do want a Jazz bass from the same era in burst as well.

Can't go wrong with a P. It has never failed me and I get all the tones I need from vintage to modern and anything in between. It has become the extension of me.

Jerryr

Well looks like I've found a trade for my Jazz bass. I'll miss it because it's the first good bass that I bought new. I selected it and paid extra to get a solid Ash body and clear finish (it's a beauty).

But I think I'll be better served with two P-Basses. The trade will get me another beautiful black beauty, 2009, American Standard, P-Bass. This one has a maple fretboard to compliment the rosewood on the one I currently have.

I'll leave flat wound strings on the rosewood and put round wound strings on the bass with maple fretboard...... sounds like a good plan!!

I went from 12 years of playing using an American Standard Jazz and E.B. Stingray and playing with different sounds..... all good stuff.... to finding the sound and feel I want on a P-Bass :)

Jerryr

Well my lovely Jazz bass is gone but now I have two beautiful black American Standard P-Bass.

One with a Rosewood fretboard and flats the other with a Maple board and round wound srting.

I prefer the wider neck on P basses, and the fatter sound that the pickup has compared to J basses, especially when wearing flatwounds.
samesies. i just can't get with the feel and sound of a Jazz. i'm primarily a guitar player, so maybe that plays into it.

mine is a '98 MIM that i modded with a Badass II and SD pickup.

cram

I have a pbass from 86 that is sunburst. I got it for a hundred bucks back in the early nineties.
I'll never part with it.

My brother (bassist in our band) plays a black pbass and never really used mine until he left his at home one rehearsal. He was blown away at how full it was in comparison. I didn't believe him, but the next time we played he had his and when we compared - holy crap!

It's just a great sounding bass.

LarryNJ

1969 Precision
- Paid $400.
Found thrashed- hardware rusted, was spray-painted flat black...
But...but... THE FEEL! THE FEEL! when I played it....
New BAII Bridge, new Fender Machine heads, string retainer (All Black hardware)- New P/G. SD 1/4-lb pup; neck sanded & light tung-oil;
re-fretted.
Wilkins removed spray-paint and sanded/finish; added light tung-oil to natural 40+ year old alder body.
A masterpiece of a "WORKING" bass.
Has the BEST neck Leo Fender ever produced bar NONE.
Passive THUMP unequaled by any wanna-be.

Eat your hearts out!:Devil

lpdeluxe

Here's an out-of focus shot of my Classic '50s and AV '57:

and a slightly better shot of my '51, Classic and fretless:

and the killer rig, the '57 with a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x15 in creme:

Flyin' Brian

Yep the P-Bass is the one for serious playing. I've had a couple, and a Jazz and a few others but the PB is by far my favorite.

LarryNJ

Now,Imagine if you will, the P-Bass (mine for instance) as it sounds being played through
THIS!

That is how itz done, Old-School:D

fuzz_factor

Supporting Member
I only have one bass: an '07 (with the upgrades) American Standard P-Bass. I do like the Jazz necks better but when shopping for a bass, I came to discover that Jazz basses never did sound quite right. I was always fiddling with them. Plug in a P and it just sounds and feels good. Want clarity: keep the tone control on 10, want old school thump: roll it off. Simple.

A little blasphemy here, but I'm considering looking for a Mustang bass to replace my P. As a guitarist, I think I might get along with the shorter scale better. Most of the threads I've read on TalkBass seem to indicate that Mustangs sound really close to a P anyway.