p plate engineer-1st recording sesh

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tristan, Jul 24, 2006.

1. tristan

tristan Member

hey guys

so i live in australia and an studying to be an audio engineer/producer and i have my first real recording session on thursday with a rock band (which ive heard are pretty bad :() but thats besides the point.

because its a school i have to book and authorise all my gear which i have done, but do any seasoned pros have any tips for me?

ive got sone pretty creative ideas for miking and so on so far but i hope someone can add:)

also there is only one studio and one control room, and time is limited so i probably will have to record the band 'live' (no overdubs). should i try and isolate the drums to prevent leaking and so on? the bass player is bringing in his amp, should i isolate that??

CHEERS IN ADVANCE!!!

tristan

2. tristan

tristan Member

by the way, i want to DI the bass, but the guy recons his mesa bass rig is perfect for the style of music and wants to capture that sound.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

DI AND mic the bass, then compare and/or mix the two?

4. tristan

tristan Member

was going to mix the two

have the DI giving me that fat round bass sound, and the amp to add some crunch to the mix, aparently he likes his bass tone distorting a little.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

Sounds like that could make both of you happy. I use the bass amp in Logic for bass, and I have set it to break up slightly if the song is that kind of song. I have to even try a mic on bass here at home. I may give that a try sometime just for fun.

6. tristan

tristan Member

do you (or anyone) think it is worth setting up isolation walls, (they are about 6 feet high and 3 1/2 feet wide with a window in them so the musician can see) to prevent mic bleeding?

or artistically is there an advantage to having mic bleen in the tracks?