P.R. Esque 22 fret...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axpro, Dec 3, 2005.

1. axpro

axpro Member

I recently aquired a ce-22 with a trem (thanks Brian!!!) and can hardly put it down... I've had lots of other guitars over the years, (even a IRW McCarty) but the sound of maple necked guitars just does it for me.

Here's the skinny. I prefer hardtail (which PRS no longer offers on the CE line) and maple necks (which are rarely seen on mahogony bodies guitars LIKE the PRS...) Mahogony bodies and dual humbuckers...

Who makes a good one besides PRS... MOstly when I look into other brands, the push is on limba, or koa or rosewood, or even good old mahogony, but rarely do i see higher ended guitars with a nice 1/4 sawn maple neck. I prefer a mpale top, cause i likes my guitars pretty...

ANy ideas or recomendations?

Dave Mc

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Warmoth. I can't find it now in their web page but I believe they offer 1/4 sawn maple for necks. If you have them install and cut the nut for you, putting it together is really easy, or get it without the nut and have a luthier do the work including a fret dress (not always necessary on Warmoth necks but a good idea just in case). The '59 roundback neck contour is very similar to a PRS wide fat.

3. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Well they aren't bolt ons, and they are each unique custom orders, but

Here's Nick's Thorn Standard. Maple neck on a basswood body. He can tell you how it sounds.

[​IMG]

Leon's Maple neck on a koa body. Everyone around here who's heard it knows how killer it sounds.

[​IMG]

Kevin's maple neck on an ash body...

[​IMG]

Ron's working on an opaque finished adler bodied guitar with a flamed maple neck, BRW board and a H/S/S config for me as we speak.

The great thing about Ron is working with Ron to make the guitar YOU want to play and the tones YOU want to hear. It can be as over the top or as plain and simple as you desire it to be and you get to go over every little feature and detail, so when it shows up it feels like something you've been playng your whole life, or at least wish you had been playing.

I'm sure any of the other custom builders that frequent TGP are also flexible in this regard. just depends really on what strikes your fancy and if you want to wait.

I can't think of any PRS-like companies that currently make a maple necked guitar tho. Of course the obvious question is why not another PRS? Occasionally a CE pops up with the wraparound.

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

So long as I'm pimpin Ron at ya, here's another but semihollow...

[​IMG]

-e.

5. paullacey

paullacey Member

Have a look on the Sales pages here and on ebay, it won't be long before you find a CE at the spec you want.

Theres one on the bay now;

6. axpro

axpro Member

Are you trying to tempt me PAul????

As for Warmoth: I actually am a guitar tech, and have a warmoth prs CE copy, but the longer scale (25") doesn't really agree with me. I mean, I like the guitar, but it's not my favorite... I find I pick it up the least of any guitar in my collection... :(

Thorn, I notice people around here seem to have one (or two or three) and I am definitely digging it, but how does one go about ordering one? I didn't see any info on his page...

and waiting..... what do you think Paul, I am MADE of time?!?!?

:D

Dave Mc

7. MOJO

MOJO Member

8. paullacey

paullacey Member

Just offer him up a wedge of cash and I'm sure they'll end the item early.....

Check also Birds and Moons, where loads of PRS lovers (and lovers of all high end guitars hang out), their gear page usually have a few CE's on.

Oh, and Ron Thorn, luthier extreme, hangs out there occasionally.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Carvin may put a maple neck on the CT6. Not sure, you could ask.