P-rails... impressions??

Bluesidae

Still on my hunt for a used Les Paul... I came across a very nice guitar:

Checked out a Godin Icon with P-rails. The Icon was amazing. The price (compared to Les Pauls was amazing). I wasn't sure about the P-rails. They sounded pretty good... I liked the humbucker and P-90 tones. The number of tonal options was almost overwhelming. I was skeptical so I probably didn't give them a unbiased listen.

Question: are P-rails for real? I wonder if they are a decent 'Jack of all trades' but a master of nothing?? I guess I am asking if any of you have played them for awhile (i.e. past the honeymoon period) and if you still like them?

Thx!

reprove

Silver Supporting Member
I have them in two guitars. A pair in an LTD and a single P-Rail in a T style baritone. I love the options and find myself using the single coil and p90 positions a lot and only switching to humbucker mode when I need more low end. Both guitars resonate with a ton of low end already so being able to pull a bit out with the coil switching is nice. Lots of flavors available. Mine are wired simply with one switch controlling the coil selection for both pickups. I doubt I'd enjoy it as much if there were switches for both pickups. Anyway, I'm hooked and plan on putting a pair in one of my semi-hollows.

Bluesidae

This guitar also had a button that seems to add a bit of boost to each of the pickup options as well. Pretty cool way of doing things. I just wonder if I am too much of a traditionalist!

S1Player

I have 2 p-rails in a MIM Strat converted to HSH. I am having 2 P-Rails put in to a new guitar being built now.

They are my favorite pick up.

Each of my P rails has it's own 5 way switch that are wired as Off, rail coil only, P-90 Only, Series Humbucker, and Parallel Humbucker. I like all the sounds from the P Rail. The only caveat is that running 1 Single Rail at a time isn't the greatest single coil tone. But, the 2 single rail coils together give a pretty good strat quack.

BTW the MIM strat has a cool rail in the middle - wired up with the same 5 way switching. If I did it again - I'd probably go with a Hot Rail in the middle - to get a hotter single coil sound when split.

Lephty

Just bumping this old thread to add that I just installed P-Rails in a custom solid-body guitar. I had been in pickup hell with this guitar, trying out several different combinations (including some boutique stuff) and never liking the results. I did my first gig with the P-Rails on Sat. and I was pretty psyched on them.

The guitar has 2 humbuckers with 3-way switches, which are wired so that they can go in single coil mode, humbucker mode, or P-90 mode. The single coil mode comes with a big volume drop, but the other two sound great. I'm particularly enjoying using the middle pickup setting (both pickups on) and mixing and matching the various combinations using the volume knobs.