P-Rails sound like...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 908SSP, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Did anybody get a set of these mounted before me? I finished this last week. Sounds really good. The guitar is all mahogany so it tends to be pretty fat and mid rangy with most humbuckers. With these it has a degree more clarity and a wider range in the series humbucker mode. In the parallel humbucker mode it is clearer brighter and cuts great. The P-90 mode is in between, fat but with some nice cut to it. The rails are brighter still with a real clear bell like edge. Because the rail is farther away from the bridge than your typical Strat the bridge rail still has a fullness and richness sometimes missing on single coil bridge. The way it is wired I can get all those tones by different combinations of the pull pots. But that means I can't combine the rail on the neck say with the P-90 on the bridge. Still lots of usable choices.

[​IMG]

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

I just got mine in yesterday. Of course they look perfect for a Parker, I still wish I owned one of those! It's downright szexy. I have them in my Hamer Newport and I am trying to figure out which settings I like best. I don't think I'll make use of all 4 sounds on each pickup. The bridge in series is rather dark (spruce top on mahogany, hollow, short Gibson scale). But I needed more clarity than even low output humbuckers (ie. Seth Lovers). The single coil sounds deliver and give justice ot the wood & quality of construction in the Hamer like other pickups haven't. I even tried TV Jones classics in this guitar. I really think I'm going to like these plenty.

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I installed mine a week or two back; based on what I've seen on the Seymour Duncan forum; I'm the first one to get a set installed. I wired them both as humbuckers with the coils in series and then used push-pulls to split to the P90 coils. I think the neck is pretty great, but I'm not a fan of the bridge; not enough balls to keep up with the neck. They have more bass than any other pickup I've used (although they still cut through fine), so it seems like they'd be great for brighter guitars.

-Austin

4. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I'm such a closed-minded 'traditionalist', that I'll likely never use a set of these - but it seems like a fantastic idea - glad to hear a field report on these as I've been interested since seeing the NAMM info.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Well they sound less fat and muddy than the JB in the bridge that the Mojo normally comes with. And the neck pickup in the Mojo has a rich jazzy kind of tone lots of subtle harmonics. They seem to have a real wide sound like the single and its bright edge combined with the fat of the P-90. I am really happy with the tone. I made some Duncan Hybrid pickups for another Mojo those sound better than stock but without the wide versatility of these. The only thing is I wish I could add a remote coil or something to kill the hum. Of course there is no hum in the series or parallel positions.