p/u not picking up high E, help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lazaruslong, May 14, 2006.

1. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I just got a 1974 Fender Wide Rang Humbucker installed in the bridge of my '72 RI telecaster deluxe and the pickup is not picking up the high E well. It picks it up every other string, but when i play the high E it hardly sounds through my amp. You can hear it just a LITTLE bit through the amp, not much though. What could be wrong/how can i fix it?

thanks,

laz

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Does the string cross over one of the polepieces? From your description I'd say the polepiece spacing is probably much too narrow for your guitar. Most tremelo guitars require pickups with F-spacing, as DiMarzio calls it, or in the Seymour Duncan universe, trembuckers.

3. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I belive the string is passing directly over two of the polepeices. I dont think the spacing should be a problem because the pickup that was orignally in this guitar has the same polepeice spacing as the one in it now. I belive the original fender wide range's have 12 CUNIFE polepeices.

4. has-sound

has-sound Member

Try changing your E string. I bought a set of strings once that apparently had an acoustic string in it. The pickup wouldn't pick it up because the string material wasn't steel.

5. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

The neck pickup gets the string fine, which leads me to belive the string isnt the problem, but i will try changing it anyway.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Try touching the poles/screws (over the E string) with a screwdriver and listen for a loud pop. It's possible that the magnet isn't making contact with the pole.

7. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

Im pretty sure each polepeice is magentized indivually, without a PAF style bar magnet under them. I touched a screw driver to the screw under the high E string and it appears to still be magnetized (maybe a little less then the others?). I havnt taken the pickup out yet--so i dont know if the other polepeice under the high E is still magnetized.

Im thinking maybe the second polepeice might have become demagnetized? Or if anyone can think of any reason only the high E would be incredibly softer then the other strings through the amp. It's not the string, since the neck pickup doesnt have this problem.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I've seen that effect on wound strings, but unwound are the same acoustic or electric. shouldn't be a spacing issue, that is the pickup that's SUPPOSED to go in that slot. Sorry I can't offer any help. Is the string ringing acoustically the way it should?

9. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I am appreciative of any adive/help :).

The string rings acoustically fine, and the neck pickup gets the string fine as well.